Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1960 Nu Card Scoops White Front And Back Legit????

Hi all. I know these oversized cards came with a brownish tint and spots on the back but I just received in the mail a card from the set which is white front and back with no spots. Does anyone know if these cards were produced like this also? I am asking about the oversized 1960 set and not the 1961 set which I know was counterfeited. Please help if you can. Thanks so much!

Comments

• Options
    kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    I don't know for sure but as cheap as these cards are I can't imagine someone going to the trouble to counterfeit them.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently sent in a 1960 NU-CARD Baseball HI-LITES in to PSA for grading. It was bright white front and back and mint in every way. PSA would not grade it returned it "questionable authenticity".

I had heard several years ago that if they don't have the toning they are fake. Sent it in anyway just to see if PSA had heard the same thing.

It's a fake. The reason they were faked (I think) is because they are a very simple card to reproduce.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

there was a reprint of this set....the backs are very white and not spotted/toned like the originals. I believe the reprints were done some time ago....possibly in the 60's from what I saw at an auction listing for an entire set of reprints

• Options
    Thank you soooo much guys!! The card in question was a Mantle #22 purchased for $70, so I must return it now. Thanks again image
  • Options
    I just purchased a PSA 8 Mantle on eBay without seeing a scan of the back and it wound up having a white back. PSA is grading the fake cards now?
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to say. PSA is not consistent. I have two matchbook covers that are identical except for the year. One is graded a 5 the other got an "authentic".

All I can say is, when I was looking for my Killebrew, I was told if they were bright white with no toning they were reprints.

If PSA says it's good, they might be right, however a grader who might be unaware of the reprint issue might have graded it.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set