Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Just busted my 1975 rack from a previous group rip - guess grade on Brett

If anyone remembers, I had Gary Matthews on a back panel and from a previous thread (if someone could help me find it and post it), the sequencing was on target for a Brett -- I was in a mood to rip (sorry cpamike)

BA-BAM

Comments

• Nice! image
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Great rip! That YAZ looks nice as well. Brett looks to fall within 9 limits.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    that is a sweet Brett, congrats!
  • scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    Nice! The Yaz looks like an easy 9, and although the Brett might deserve a 9, I'd expect an 8.

Great break.
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Wow!!! Amazing Brett. I so want one. At least PSA 8 although yours has potential for a 9
  • Are all those from ONE rack pack?!
    I'm building a 1968 and a 1970 Topps set. I have lots of 1970s and 1960s to offer in trade.
  • EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Are all those from ONE rack pack?! >>

Yes. Different panels.
    Steve Carlton was also in there, but WAY o/c
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice hit and worth the rip as that card has a great shot at PSA 9, imo! Nice break that Brett was well centered instead of the Carlton that followed it!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    FANTASTIC RIP! Congrats! Good luck on your submissions.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • 1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    That Brett is a beauty.

It will be in a PSA 9 holder very soon IMHO from the scan.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Congrats! That's a great pull. Good luck with the sub.
  • jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    SCORE!! Nice pull. So from the back (of the appr. Section) it went Gary Mathews, Steve C and then Brett correct.

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

<< <i>SCORE!! Nice pull. So from the back (of the appr. Section) it went Gary Mathews, Steve C and then Brett correct. >>

correct
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Hey Gregg, still at work (just taking a break image), but I had to say CONGRATS!!!

I had just thought you ripped this way back when we got those racks from Steve. If I was to open a rack, that would have been my choice too. I think that is a lock for a 9...glad the centering gods were with you for the Brett.

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    That's a gorgeous, Brett rookie! What a hit. It looks good for an 8.5 or 9 to me! Congrats.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations!

The Brett looks super.

Good luck if you sub?
    Mike
  • Better than gambling or sex?
  • ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice
    Guess the grade on Brett
    From scan, I have to straight 9...unless, dare I even suggest: Gem Mint 10!!??

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    I will say 9 on the brett, too OC for the 10 + a print dot,
    knowing how tough they are on the card I wouldn't be shocked at 8.5

do you have the grade I hope?
  • tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    I will guess PSA 8
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
    Unless back is MC or there's something wrong that we can't see in scan like athe surface wrinkle there's really no reason that card shouldn't be a 9. I've submitted a ton of 75s in my time and that card appears to be mint to my eye.

IMO, that belongs in a $750.00 "PSA 9" slab.

If you got a TEN (Man, I hope you did) we are all going out for dinner and LOTS OF BEER on you!!!!!

LET US KNOW NOW!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    Deserves a 9.
  • 8.5 print dot and L/R centering is a bit off.
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    9. Good luck.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • radmanradman Posts: 89 ✭✭
    good day 9
    most days 8
    bad day <8
  • jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    Wow that Brett is a blazer WTG!!! The centering and the print dot will keep it out of a 10 holder but I would keep submitting it until you get a 9.
    It received a 5 -- I am dumb-founded.

(btw, back was as clean and centered as front)
  • mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    Has to be a wrinkle somewhere?

------
    stupid print dots

• MinorLeaguerMinorLeaguer Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    Gorgeous cards. FYI if you haven't sent in the Yaz yet. I submitted about eight '75 Yaz's, that were pulled from rack packs by a dealer in 1992 or so and they sat in Card Saver I's and penny sleeves for a long time unmoved and no sunlight. I think I paid maybe $15 for the lot back then. They all had the same centering as yours, full gloss, perfect corners and edges. I submitted them earlier this year thinking 8.5 - 9 due to centering. They all came back PSA 8 so that's what I'm guessing for your Yaz.
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice image
    Mike
    Bosox1976

<< <i>It received a 5 -- I am dumb-founded. (btw, back was as clean and centered as front) >>

As was already mentioned, there must be a wrinkle somewhere.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

<< <i>Gorgeous cards. FYI if you haven't sent in the Yaz yet. I submitted about eight '75 Yaz's, that were pulled from rack packs by a dealer in 1992 or so and they sat in Card Saver I's and penny sleeves for a long time unmoved and no sunlight. I think I paid maybe $15 for the lot back then. They all had the same centering as yours, full gloss, perfect corners and edges. I submitted them earlier this year thinking 8.5 - 9 due to centering. They all came back PSA 8 so that's what I'm guessing for your Yaz. >>

Yes, the Yaz got an 8.

<< <i>

<< <i>It received a 5 -- I am dumb-founded. (btw, back was as clean and centered as front) >>

As was already mentioned, there must be a wrinkle somewhere. >>

+1

Must have a wrinkle as that is an automatic 5 for an otherwise mint card.

Many cards with wrinkles get 6's.
  • bcubsbcubs Posts: 344 ✭✭✭
    I can't figure that one out, there has to be something on the surface as everyone has said that is not noticeable in the scan.

Appreciate today-

Bill

You can send it in for review to get the .5

<< <i>Many cards with wrinkles get 6's. >>

My experience is that psa usually assigns an automatic 5 for a surface wrinkle. Either way, I'm sure the OP is pretty disappointed.