Home PSA Set Registry Forum

...already registered by another user error message

Last night, I won an auction on ebay and (because I can't wait to enter it into the PSA Registry) I tryed to enter the card into my set. After entering the cert number and pressing continue, I got the message "Cert number xxxxxxxx cannot be a part of this registered set because it is already registered by another member".

Exactly what is the procedure when this happens. I realize I probably jumped the gun when I tried to register the card before I actually had it in my hands, but I started worrying about a whole bunch of different situations (none of which will probably actually happen) that would prevent me from entering the card into my collection.

#1 - What if the seller refuses to remove the card from his set? ... Maybe he wants it in there as not to effect his "All Time" ranking or maybe he's just a jerk.

#2 - What if somebody stole the cert number and put it in their registered set just to make their set look better. How would I know who it was? Would the people at PSA tell me?

#3 - How could I actually prove that I owned the card? Having a scan of the card doesn't mean you own it. If I were going to steal the cert number from an ebay auction, I'd probably steal the digital photo as well so I could have "proof" that I owned the card.

I know I'm being paranoid, but maybe this has happened to someone else before and could explain the process to me.

Thanks

Comments

• TimMan - It's happened to me a couple of times. I usually wait until I get the card in hand before I try to enter it. On the times it happened to me, I emailed the seller and politely asked them to check their registry to confirm that they have deleted it from theirs. A few days later, I tried again and it successfully registered. Also, even after they delete it, it can take up to 3 days before the database gets updated. As far as your other concerns, I haven't had that happen. I would assume that Collectors Universe would come up with some method to verify the actual possession/ownership of the card.
  • Late1970sToppsLate1970sTopps Posts: 750 ✭✭✭
    TimMan:

I have been on both sides of the fence on this issue. Twice I have tried to load cards into my set only to find out that they were already registered. On one occasion, I sold a card and forgot to delete it from my set (sorry BigHurt). I think I would follow JH's advice to start with. If that doesn't work, e-mail BJ or just e-mail SetRegistry@collectors.com. They will find out what set the card is included in and e-mail the set's owner to make them aware of the situation. Most of the time it ends there, as the person will promptly delete the card that is no longer in their set. On one occasion, the person stated that they still owned the card. In that case, I had to send the link to the auction site and fax a copy of the card to Collectors Universe. Once they had that information, they deleted the card from the set. Once the registry updated, I could load my card.

Frank Smith
    fesmith68@yahoo.com
    Looking for 1975, 1978, and 1979 Topps Baseball in high end PSA 9 and PSA 10.
  • You mean you actually have to own the card to be on the registry? I just surf E-bay and put the best cards I've seen on the registry. Wow now i know why you guys a say it's difficult to complete a set. Baseball sets have like 700 cards!-you guys are nuts...
    Collect vintage basketball and baseball,graded rookies allsports, Robin Yount,Brewers,Bucks,Packers
    Putting together a set of 61 Fleer Basketball PSA 7 or better.
    Trade references: T,Raf12,Coach Vinny,Iceman,McDee2,Lantz,JSA
  • BigKidAtHeartBigKidAtHeart Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    yeah, not only do you have to OWN the card....
    it actually has to be Graded by PSA!

It wont let you register BGS, BCCG, SGC or even PRO cards
    in the registry!! That sucks since I have soooooo many
    PRO gem mint 10's I wanted to put in!

imageimage