Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I have no idea what this is

but I almost impulse took a poke at it.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, it's pretty obviously from Amersfoort, from Utrecht, in the Netherlands.

Something... Mr. Rolandus Hagedoorn... 2nd prize? Something... something... Amersfoort. August 5, 1900.

*Ping!* calling Andres, come in Andres! Or somebody from that side of the ocean who knows a little Dutch!

Beautiful Art Nouveau styled medal, there. Looks silver. If second prize was silver, I wonder if first prize was gold?

I wouldn't be surprised if somebody comes up with something more on this piece.

Could this be your Rolandus Hagedoorn? If so, he won that medal in the final months of his life.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Hi Rob,
    Andres calling in image

It says: second prize - Gentleman's official rifle contest - Amersfoort (indeed city) - August 5th 1900

what bothers me is that it says on the front of this medal: ---> aangeboden door = offered by Mister Rolandus Hagedoorn.
    meaning he was a sponser of this contest , not the winner of this second prize.

if he was indeed the second prize winner it would say: aangeboden aan = offered to Mister Rolandus H

perhaps a mistake by the engraver ?

collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    Aha! Just in time!

So not just the Swiss had beautiful shooting medals, then. Thanks for solving the translation riddles.

What do you think of the geneaology page I stumbled across? It sounds like it could be the same man? Note how that person happens to have been from Amersfoort as well. Now, I know that Amersfoort is probably not a small city, but still, in 1900, how many Rolandus Hagedoorns can there have been there? Then again, I'm not sure. Maybe it was a common name, for all I know.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    I love this forum!
  • Options
    chance they are one and the same person is 99,9 % , combination: Rolandus Hagedoorn is extremely rare , there were around 20.000 persons living in Amersfoort around 1900
    nowadays 150.000.

collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    I love how I summoned Andres, and he just magically appeared like that. I didn't PM him or anything. image

• Options
    if you look in the mirror and say Andres, Andres, Andres (3 times) he'll appear in the room behind you!!! (or so I hear, I haven't had the courage to attempt it)
  • Options

<< <i>if you look in the mirror and say Andres, Andres, Andres (3 times) he'll appear in the room behind you!!! (or so I hear, I haven't had the courage to attempt it) >>

Yeah, I was standing inside a circle of candles when I summoned him, and had drawn a pentagram on the floor in chalk, so I was safe. image

• Options
    PS- Andres-

When you hit 10,000 posts, I think maybe you should choose "NumisGenie" as your custom title! image

• Options
    Mhh, but I will gladly take that silver rider from Zeeland as my custom title.

or my dog with his new set of teeth ,you send me a couple of months ago.

• Options

<< <i>Mhh, but I will gladly take that silver rider from Zeeland as my custom title. >>

Hey... "Silver Rider".

Has a nice ring to it.

• Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Mhh, but I will gladly take that silver rider from Zeeland as my custom title. >>

Hey... "Silver Rider".

Has a nice ring to it. >>

Rob, are still the night clerk at your hotel or just a night owl? 2:36 am. WOW. zzz time for me.
    Paul
  • Options
    Yes, I was working night audit when I posted that.

• Options
    purchased *blush*