Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

University of Leicester archaelogists find medieval penny and maybe Richard III

Human remains uncovered by University of Leicester-led archaeological search reveal circumstantial evidence consistent with battle wounds –but not in keeping with the Tudor sources that portrayed the warrior king as a wicked hunchback

The stunning findings of human remains excavated by the archaeologists came from the Choir of the Grey Friars Church.

This site has a photo of the penny but only one side of it:
http://www.historyextra.com/gallery/richard-iii

General information:
http://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/press/press-releases/2012/september/search-for-king-richard-iii-enters-new-phase-after-2018momentous-discovery-has-potential-to-rewrite-history2019

https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies
Coins on Television

Comments

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A horse, a horse!
    My kingdom for a horse!

Contemporary descriptions of Richard III were distorted for political reasons. It was possible that the king had a slight physical deformity, and that got over-blown into what got passed down in history by the victors.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Contemporary descriptions of Richard III were distorted for political reasons. >>

The winners always get to write the history.

I've been following the dig and their results, it will be interesting to see if they can get enough DNA to prove conclusively that it's him.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Contemporary descriptions of Richard III were distorted for political reasons. >>

The winners always get to write the history.

I've been following the dig and their results, it will be interesting to see if they can get enough DNA to prove conclusively that it's him. >>

It will be interesting. One does ponder that perhaps a bit of history can be corrected. Surely the Tudors were not the most savory lot, despite such that Princess Charles does believe HVIII got a bad rap. As you note, the vanquished are not privileged in history.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

<< <i>Surely the Tudors were not the most savory lot, despite such that Princess Charles does believe HVIII got a bad rap. >>

I don't really understand the above sentence.

Henricus VIII was a terrible executive; by the end of his reign, his kingdom was just about bankrupt due to his lavish parties, gifts to women and political contrivances against Spain and France.

He was, however, reputed to be athletic, intelligent and religious (a devout and life-long Roman Catholic, despite having founded the Church of England).

He was also very nationalistic, and welcomed public service regardless of religious affiliation.

EVP

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's Dick!

DNA tests have confirmed that human remains found buried beneath an English car park are those of the country's King Richard III.

British scientists announced Monday they are convinced "beyond reasonable doubt" that a skeleton found during an archaeological dig in Leicester, central England, last August is that of the former king, who was killed at the Battle of Bosworth Field in 1485.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/03/world/europe/richard-iii-search-announcement/index.html

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Amazing!image
    Becky
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing, indeed!

Now, who's got a Richard III coin to post?

(Not me, alas.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Amazing, indeed!

Now, who's got a Richard III coin to post?

(Not me, alas.) >>

Here's a Richard III Penny.

• Options
    Now I want to know what happened to Edward V and his brother.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    Amazing how different the two brothers were - Edward IV at 6'5" (196 cm) and Richard III at 5'8" (173 cm). I guess that's genetics for you!

-Bjorn
  • Options

<< <i>Amazing how different the two brothers were - Edward IV at 6'5" (196 cm) and Richard III at 5'8" (173 cm). I guess that's genetics for you!

-Bjorn >>

The latter likely had scoliosis - but other underlying health issues could have been a factor. Edward IV had a very impressive height for the time - but then even 5'8" was very tall.
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Apparently the DNA proves it was him!

http://news.yahoo.com/experts-remains-englands-king-richard-iii-105948025.html

Theres also a program about it at 9pm Channel 4 (in the UK). Can' wait to watch it!
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Facial reconstruction of Richard III from his skull found

image]
  • Options
    This is way cool.

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I was just struck by how seldom the face of a medieval kind makes the news. The skull of Richard III has been all over the news all day, how flippin' cool is that?

Not taking sides on the Richard III, Henry VII, Edward V debate, but how cool that Richard is in the news!!!!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    <<Human remains uncovered by University of Leicester-led archaeological search reveal circumstantial evidence consistent with battle wounds –but not in keeping with the Tudor sources that portrayed the warrior king as a wicked hunchback>>

This story was on the news tonight. They stated that the bones showed that he was a hunchback. The backbone certainly looked like it.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    For God’s sake let us sit up on the ground

And tell sad stories about the death of kings:

How some have been depos’d, some slain in war,

Some haunted by the ghosts they have deposed,

Some poisoned by their wives, some sleeping kill’d,

All murthered – for within the hollow crown

That rounds the mortal temples of a king

Keeps Death his court
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Is there a doctor in the house?

Evidently there is a difference between "hunchback" and "severe curvature of the spine". I don't know what it is.

Evidently, they now have DNA evidence also.
  • Options
    RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭
    From King to Car Park Attendant - a bit of a demotion methinks.
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    years from now, who's to say what will be built over the "nice" areas of our towns?

it only takes 1 generation out of memory to be totally forgotten.
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭

<< <i>years from now, who's to say what will be built over the "nice" areas of our towns?

it only takes 1 generation out of memory to be totally forgotten. >>

sic transit gloria mundi...

....and have a nice day image