Home Sports Talk
Options

Ray and Ed

Being a huge Ravens fan from a distance just won't do this year. I need to see Ray and Ed play at M&T just in case this is their last year together so I'm heading out to Baltimore for the Thursday night game against Cleveland. I'm in Chicago so it's not a major trip/upheaval, but I am not much of a traveler so this is a mini-adventure for me.

Just wanted to post and say this is my first spur of the moment sports trip and I could not be happier about it. When I think about all the 60 hour workweeks and the nonsense I spend money on and the fact that I haven't considered doing this until now...it's a damn shame. But at least it's happening. And I suspect if it goes well I'll want to do something like this at least once a year.

Anyone else have a similar awakening? I'd like to hear your stories.

Comments

• Options
    Reed and Polamalu are both getting close to best safety in history. 17 years will be four more than Taylor played, which could give some argument for Lewis being best linebacker ever
  • Options
    AS also a big Ravens fan, Welcome to Thursday night Football! Go Ravens!
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have a tough time saying Lewis was a better LB than Lawrence Taylor, to me LT took over games on Defense all by himself.

Lewis is without question up there as one of the best but Id still go with LT.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I recently saw "A Football Life" about Ray Lewis on the NFL Network. I never realized Ray was such a nice human being. Seeing that really changed my opinion of him.
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I also think that Lewis vs LT is a very difficult comparison. While they both played "linebacker", the role of an inside LB is so drastically different from an outside LB that comparisons are really moot. >>

Completely agree. I mean, we're comparing guys that are basically all 10/10 franchise cornerstone defensive players. The order you put them in is kind of irrelevent.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,495 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Reed and Polamalu are both getting close to best safety in history. 17 years will be four more than Taylor played, which could give some argument for Lewis being best linebacker ever >>

Though I have immense respect for Ed Reed, there's no way IMO that he was better than Ronnie Lott. >>

Agreed
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I recently saw "A Football Life" about Ray Lewis on the NFL Network. I never realized Ray was such a nice human being. Seeing that really changed my opinion of him. >>

I have this on my DVR but haven't watched it yet. I think the families of the guys that Lewis' friends killed while Ray was present, at the very least, and that Ray then lied to the police about, might argue differently that he's "such a nice human being".

Tabe
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I recently saw "A Football Life" about Ray Lewis on the NFL Network. I never realized Ray was such a nice human being. Seeing that really changed my opinion of him. >>

I have this on my DVR but haven't watched it yet. I think the families of the guys that Lewis' friends killed while Ray was present, at the very least, and that Ray then lied to the police about, might argue differently that he's "such a nice human being".

Tabe >>

It's a shame that a lot of people forget this ever happened...swept under the rug, it seems.
  • Options

<< <i>
    I think the families of the guys that Lewis' friends killed while Ray was present, at the very least, and that Ray then lied to the police about, might argue differently that he's "such a nice human being".

Tabe >>

So what you're saying is people can't change? Have you never lied when you were scared? Ray was also much younger when this happened and probably not very mature. People can and do change with maturity. My suggestion to you is to watch the episode and see if you feel the same way.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Tabe >>

It's a shame that a lot of people forget this ever happened...swept under the rug, it seems. >>

I obviously did not forget "this" ever happened seeing how I said in my op "seeing that really changed my opinion of him".
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>
    I think the families of the guys that Lewis' friends killed while Ray was present, at the very least, and that Ray then lied to the police about, might argue differently that he's "such a nice human being".

Tabe >>

So what you're saying is people can't change? Have you never lied when you were scared? Ray was also much younger when this happened and probably not very mature. People can and do change with maturity. My suggestion to you is to watch the episode and see if you feel the same way. >>

I did watch the episode last night. The episode certainly a great job of portraying Lewis as likeable, as a good guy, and so on. And certainly he has plenty of people who will back up that claim.

Still, it's awfully hard to know that Lewis' friends - at least, possibly him too - killed 2 guys, Lewis' suit from that night magically "disappears", and then he lies to the cops - and still come away thinking he's a good guy. Ray was nearly 25 at the time of the murder and had been in the NFL for 5 years. "Not very mature" was not the case for Lewis at the time and, even if so, not a defense or an excuse whatsoever.

I also found it interesting that Lewis said in the show that the murder took place in 1999 when, in fact, it was in 2000.

I dunno, yes, people change. And forgiveness is in my nature and all that. But, man, what he was a part of was pretty darn awful...

Tabe
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>all of his neighbors at the time of the murder charge seem to think of him as a quiet and respectful neighbor that they liked. >>

To everyone who met him, he seemed a likable and affable man. He was widely respected in the community, charming and easy to get along with. He was a good Catholic and sharp businessman who, when not running his construction company was active in the Jaycees and was also a Democratic Party precinct captain, when he had his photo taken with then First Lady, Rosalynn Carter. He also spent much of his free time hosting elaborate street parties for his friends and neighbors, serving in community groups and entertaining children. He was a generous, hard working, friendly, devoted family man, everyone knew that -- but that was the side of John Wayne Gacy that he allowed people to see.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>

Tabe >>

What can I say? People are complicated. I've known and befriended some exceptionally friendly and 'nice' people in my day who've committed heinous crimes, such as my ex-business partner, who strangled his girlfriend with his bare hands. You can't excuse the crime, but Wyatt- that's his name-- was the kind of guy who would do almost anything for a friend. Even my wife liked him (and still insists on his fundamentally good character), and she's not exactly the kind of person who glosses over violence against women.

Nobody's character is ever defined by a single deed; it makes judging people more complicated, but there you have it.
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Tabe >>

So what you're saying is people can't change? Have you never lied when you were scared? Ray was also much younger when this happened and probably not very mature. People can and do change with maturity. My suggestion to you is to watch the episode and see if you feel the same way. >>

I did watch the episode last night. The episode certainly a great job of portraying Lewis as likeable, as a good guy, and so on. And certainly he has plenty of people who will back up that claim.

Still, it's awfully hard to know that Lewis' friends - at least, possibly him too - killed 2 guys, Lewis' suit from that night magically "disappears", and then he lies to the cops - and still come away thinking he's a good guy. Ray was nearly 25 at the time of the murder and had been in the NFL for 5 years. "Not very mature" was not the case for Lewis at the time and, even if so, not a defense or an excuse whatsoever.

I also found it interesting that Lewis said in the show that the murder took place in 1999 when, in fact, it was in 2000.

I dunno, yes, people change. And forgiveness is in my nature and all that. But, man, what he was a part of was pretty darn awful...

Tabe >>

If you read up on the details, the story of that night is not nearly as black and white as you're making it out to be when it comes to Lewis's involvement. Not detracting from what actually happened...obv it was awful.

Regarding Ray, there have been countless interviews and stories written about this incident years later and virtually everyone who had reasons to want Ray Lewis locked up forever has changed their tune, victims and BPD included. It's not a coincidence. Even when you factor in the mistakes, the guy has been one of the most net positive human beings you will be able to find in any profession, much less in football. The body of work speaks for itself.

And Ed talks like a thug but he's a straight up football nerd. I get to pay homage in less than 12 hours!!

RAVENS!!!!!!!!!!!!! image