Home Sports Talk
Options

Who do you think was the better pitcher?

Randy Johnson or Greg Maddux? I might rub Atlanta fans the wrong way, but I feel Johnson in a landslide. Maddux is far more popular though for some reason. (Chicks dig the long ball commercial, maybe??) Both are 1st ballot HOF'ers. But Johnson seems more worthy to be mentioned in the truly all-time greats and to me was the more intimidating pitcher (ask John Kruk! lol.). I'll just say they both have Championships, 300+ wins, a lot of hardware and never a whisper uttered about any PEDs for either in the roid era of baseball, but Johnson has 5 CY Awards with 5 seconds to boot, is 2nd all-time in strikeouts (1500 more than Maddux) and actually has a better s/o per 9 innings pitched than Nolan Ryan! Feel priveliged to have watch him pitch. Any rebuttals or comments?

Comments

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They were both obviously great, but i would give the edge to Maddux. Johnson may have been more overpowering, but Maddux was the better "pitcher." He had more wins, lower ERA, less walks, and 18 gold glove awards. He also pitched for 13 playoff teams compared to johnson's 8. He also pitched in 35 playoff games, johnson pitched in 19.

Everyone will have different opinions, but this is mine. Id love to hear what other people think.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    I had to look it up. It's been a while. Awesome!

Chicks dig the long ball
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options

Maddux
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pitcher- Maddox
    Thower/Hurler/more fun to watch- Johnson

digicat I had never seen that. Thanks!

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>I might rub Atlanta fans the wrong way, but I feel Johnson in a landslide. >>

The only truly incorrect answer is to say it isn't close

Can understand the arguments in favor of Johnson: more than half his career in the AL, better single season peaks by most measures. . . but I have to take the guy who pitched a full 900 more innings over his career. In a career lasting 900 more innings, 50% fewer walks and 15% fewer homeruns. That's enough to put him ahead of the best strikeout pitcher in history

(Maddux is sixth all-time, Johnson eighth)
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The umpires gave Maddux a strike zone big enough to drive a truck through. He consistently got at least 2 inches low in addition to at least 2 inches outside on right handed batters. And don't tell me he "earned" it because of his control. The strike zone is the strike zone.

Give Randy Johnson a bigger strike zone and there would have been no need to even play the games he would have been virtually unhittable.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

<< <i>The umpires gave Maddux a strike zone big enough to drive a truck through. He consistently got at least 2 inches low in addition to at least 2 inches outside on right handed batters. And don't tell me he "earned" it because of his control. The strike zone is the strike zone.

Give Randy Johnson a bigger strike zone and there would have been no need to even play the games he would have been virtually unhittable.

Joe >>

I didn't have the stones to say it!

Here's Johnson vs. Kruk in the 1993 AS Game: Johnson vs. Kruk '93 AS Game
  • Options
    I'll admit I didn't see much of Maddux early in his career, when he had some velocity. I did see him more at he latter part of his career. In the games I was saw, he consistently got calls that were unbelievable. When the catcher has to lunge to catch the ball and it still gets called a strike, over and over again, it becomes unwatchable.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know the answer; but I do know this and it is something that can't be dismissed.............the DH, DH, DH, DH

1. CC Sabathia dominated in the NL during his short stint

2. Clemens totally reveamped his career and dominated the NL

3. Randy Johnson's career in the NL was more dominating than his AL career

4. Roy Hallady's NL 1st couple of years have been dominant....he's hurt this year

5. And the list goes on.......

Maddux was tremendous as was Johnson. I don't know; but was Maddux ever dominating in the post season?
  • Options
    L.C.S. record was 4-8 with a 3.67 E.R.A. in 14 starts. W.S. record 2-3 with a 2.09 E.R.A. in 5 starts.

Joe