Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Where can I find information on 1968 Topps Milton Bradley cards?

Comments

• Goodnight funnyman!image
  • milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Buy a time machine and go back to find your answers...........
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net

• <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.collectorfocus.com/...tion/svtPONY95/pre-war">Pre war
  • BigRed7BigRed7 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭

The Topps Milton Bradley cards are part of the Win-A-Card game. The set is made up of 131 different cards.

There are 76 1968 Topps baseball cards, these 76 cards are from series 1 and 2 and are skipped numbered. The Nolan Ryan rookie card appears in this set. There are 33 1967 Topps Football cards and 22 Topps Hot Rod cards.

These cards are cut from one sheet of 132 cards, and many cards can be found with the border of the other cards. The football cards and the Hot Rod cards will have the burlap border of the 1968 Topps and the 1968 baseball cards will have the white border of the football and hot rod cards.

• bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Pony95...interesting link regarding the Mantle
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Ask Bobby.
    Good for you.
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    No need to ask me....there is an 11 page thread that has LOADS of good information, and long as you ****** don't take over it and get it deleted!

Edited to take out the offensive word - but the only ones who would be offended would be the ones that were guilty!!! image
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one is on every board game collector's wantlist:

This is off ebay - don't have the game - tho I would like to pick it up some day.

My addition from Keyman?

I believe - from input from friends who have copies of the game - a full set is 132 cards: 76 - 1968 Topps BB cards, 33 - 1967 Topps FB cards and 22 - 1965 Topps Hot Rod cards plus an instruction card. It's believed that all of the cards were printed from a single sheet.

What cards are checklisted - for BB can be taken right out of the catalog and we all know it has some really good HOF'ers to include Ryan. On the FB side - Namath rules!

Based on the time line of the game - 1969 - it appears that Topps "saved" the plates? But did make some alterations - not to have people confuse these with the original issue?
    Mike
    NMY and KB--see link in post 4 and telle what you make of yellow Mantle

Al
    Mike- last full game I saw at auction went for $ 5 K not counting a buyers premium.

Al

<< <i>Mike- last full game I saw at auction went for $ 5 K not counting a buyers premium. >>

Hi Al

Here's one that sold recently - I missed the auction - I don't think they come up that often?

It's short on BB and FB cards - perhaps - since my understanding of total cards in the game is hearsay, perhaps it's not short. It does have the Namath and the Ryan - so I don't think someone cherry picked the game?

Mike
    That would have been a great price Mike, sorry I missed it.

Al
    Here are pictures of the uncut sheets from series 1 and series 2. On the third sheet the first row of cards is missing, but the row appears on the blue second sheet.

I'm currently trying to put together a virtual sheet of the 1968 Milton Bradley cards. I'm certain that there are 132 cards in this set, not 131 as previously mentioned. There are two variations of the 2nd series checklist, just like the original 1968 Topps set.

<< <i>NMY and KB--see link in post 4 and telle what you make of yellow Mantle >>

I'm positive that the Mantle is not part of the set. There are cards in later series of the 68's that have the yellow color back, but these are not part of the Milton Bradley Win-A-Card game.
    Here is the front and the back of the 1967 Milton Bradley Joe Namath

Also note the difference between a regular issue and the Milton Bradley back

1968 Topps Milton Bradley

7 Phil Niekro Jim Bunning Chris Short
    8 Joe Horlen Gary Peters Sonny Siebert
    10 Jim Lonborg Earl Wilson Dean Chance Lonborg on Back
    13 Chuck Hartenstein
    16 Lou Piniella Richie Scheinblum
    17 Dick Hall
    18 Mike Hershberger
    19 Juan Pizarro
    20 Brooks Robinson
    24 Bobby Locke
    26 Darrell Brandon
    34 Al Ferrara
    36 Bob Moose Bob Robertson
    38 Tony Pierce
    43 Gary Bell
    44 Frank Kostro
    45 Tom Seaver
    48 Ted Davidson
    49 Eddie Brinkman Team Name Yellow
    53 Gene Alley
    57 Dan Schneider
    58 Eddie Mathews
    60 Ken Holtzman
    61 Reggie Smith
    62 Chuck Dobson
    64 Jim Merritt
    66 Casey Cox Team Name Yellow
    68 Ron Willis
    72 Tommy John
    74 Milt Pappas
    77 Don Wilson
    78 Jim Northrup
    80 Rod Carew
    81 Larry Jackson
    85 Gaylord Perry
    89 Jake Gibbs
    94 Lee Maye
    98 Gary Sutherland
    99 Rocky Colavito
    100 Bob Gibson
    105 Al Downing
    106 Dalton Jones
    107 Juan Marichal CL Fine Mesh
    107 Juan Marichal CL Wide Mesh
    108 Don Pavletich
    110 Hank Aaron
    112 Woody Fryman
    113 Tom Matchick Daryl Patterson
    117 Larry Jaster
    118 Mark Belanger
    119 Ted Savage
    120 Mel Stottlemyre
    121 Jimmie Hall
    124 Nate Oliver
    127 Paul Lindblad
    128 Tom Dukes Alonzo Harris
    129 Mickey Stanley
    136 Randy Hundley
    139 Chris Short
    143 Pete Cimino
    146 Sal Bando
    149 Bob Saverine
    155 Jim Lonborg WS
    156 Rico Petrocelli WS
    165 Tony Oliva
    168 Dodgers Team
    172 Walt Williams
    175 Maury Wills
    176 Bob Allen
    177 Jerry Koosman RCNolan Ryan
    179 Bill Stoneman
    180 Curt Flood
    185 Tom Haller
    189 Bill Landis
    191 Dan Frisella
    193 Jack Hamilton
    195 Joe Pepitone
    More great into Big Red. So you agree there were 76 MB cards in any one game but someone could have gotten different CL2 in their game...wide or fine mesh--right ? I have those 2 variations in my regular 1968 set, but never knew they existed in MB cards as well. Do you have them both, or have seen the both ?

NYY tells me it is not unusual to find yellow back regular 68 Topps cards in latter series. I have come across some myself when checking out ebay offers of "MB cards" that are not part the checklist. I guess that could mean there are back variations to a good portion of the higher number 68 Topps cards. But I have not seen much discussion of those cards.

I guess I am now in the market for a fine mesh CL 2 MB card

Al

<< <i>More great into Big Red. So you agree there were 76 MB cards in any one game but someone could have gotten different CL2 in their game...wide or fine mesh--right ? I have those 2 variations in my regular 1968 set, but never knew they existed in MB cards as well. Do you have them both, or have seen the both ?

NYY tells me it is not unusual to find yellow back regular 68 Topps cards in latter series. I have come across some myself when checking out ebay offers of "MB cards" that are not part the checklist. I guess that could mean there are back variations to a good portion of the higher number 68 Topps cards. But I have not seen much discussion of those cards.

I guess I am now in the market for a fine mesh CL 2 MB card >>

Here are the two different checklists, unfortunately the one is checked.

<< <i>Mike- last full game I saw at auction went for $ 5 K not counting a buyers premium. >>

Hi Al

I can't find it on google. But for that kind of money? I'm betting it was one that hid in someone's closet and never opened. So - the cards were probably still sealed?

I picked up a game from 1928 that was still totally sealed and unused.
    Mike
    I will see if I can find it Mike

Big Red--thanks

Al
    Mike---see Huggins and Scott...auction ending 7/29/10...lot 124...$ 6500 without the premium.

Wished I had seen the ebay auction. Maybe the fact any search that included 1968 may not have picked it up ?

Al
  • nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    Here's the full list of football cards in the set. You can see what one row of them looked like on this partial uncut sheet of 1967 Topps football cards. I assume that the other 22 football cards were also together in rows on both the Milton Bradley sheet and the regular Topps football sheet.
    One more question for NYY and Big Red---if later 1968 Series had yellow backs, are we sure there were not yellow backs in all the Topps series from 1968...and if so, can anyone be sure the yellow cards they have that match the MB card checklist are actually from the game itself ? image

Al

<< <i>Mike---see Huggins and Scott...auction ending 7/29/10...lot 124...$ 6500 without the premium.

Wished I had seen the ebay auction. Maybe the fact any search that included 1968 may not have picked it up ? >>

Hiya Al

Just as I had expressed - this is a pristine game - perhaps - still - overbid on? The cards are still sealed in their package - Wow!

edit: notice the rubber bands!!!! image
    Mike
  • EDITED FOR NEW MESSAGE POST: Currently there are 313 PSA Baseball, 95 Football & 31 Hot Rod M.B. cards in the PSA population(1968 Topps Milton Bradley). There are only two 1968 Topps PSA M.B. Registered sets(one 80% complete & the other only 6% complete). There are only three PSA 9's and just over 50 PSA 8's. These cards are very difficult to find in any condition, let alone high grade because they were part of a game"1968 Milton Bradley Win A Card" and they were handled frequently as part of playing the game. I am posting this message to let others know of my experience with M.B. cards, so as to educate any one that might be interested in trying to collect this set. Here is my experience:

1. Not all M.B. baseball cards have the white edge/border displayed on the front of the card(some 68' Topps appear to have the white edge/border, butunder close inspection it's not the M.B. version).

2. ALL M.B. cards have the "cheesier yellow" back versus the traditional gold color. The two 1968 Master set variation cards of Ed Brinkman and Casey Cox "yellow team letters" are in fact M.B. cards.

3. Numerous M.B. cards are way off center or miscut. In addition, numerous cards(#113 Tiger Rookies) do not meet minimum size requirements for PSA grading standards. These cards are not trimmed or altered(you can tell by the rough cut edges), but they don't measure up. Card#156 World Series-Petrocelli has never been graded(I've submitted four different ones) because of the size requirement.

4. PSA has become educated on these cards, but I like to include a regular issue 1968 Topps card with my subs, so the graders can see the
    different back color.

5. You can look at scans of the back, but depending on the scan quality, you sometimes can't tell for sure if it's a M.B. card until you have it
    in hand.

6. M.B. football(1967) cards are easier to distinguish because a majority of them have some of the brown bordering from the '68 Baseball
    cards on the front,BUT NOT ALL. Again, the back color is the true test.

7.There are numerous M.B. PSA cards that have been graded, but before PSA recognized the M.B. version, therefore they are not labeled as
    such.
    8.There are 1968 Topps cards in the series after the first two series that have a similar looking yellow back, but it's not the exact same yellow back as the M.B. version. There are sellers that list these cards as M.B., but they are not. See Big Red's post for the Baseball card numbers that were part of the game.
    Mystery Card Shopper

<< <i>8.There are 1968 Topps cards in the series after the first two series that have a similar looking yellow back, but it's not the exact same yellow back as the M.B. version. There are sellers that list these cards as M.B., but they are not. See Big Red's post for the Baseball card numbers that were part of the game.
    >>

Thanx!

This has been a great discussion - I've enjoyed it immensely.

Your position on the Mantle is what I've understood from talking with "gameboard" guys who don't collect BB cards and TPG is total price guarantee.

Mike

<< <i>
    3. Numerous M.B. cards are way off center or miscut. In addition, numerous cards(#113 Tiger Rookies) do not meet minimum size requirements for PSA grading standards. These cards are not trimmed or altered(you can tell by the rough cut edges), but they don't measure up. Card#156 World Series-Petrocelli has never been graded(I've submitted four different ones) because of the size requirement. >>

Well there is a Card #156 that has been graded, unfortunately it was mislabeled by PSA, I have to send it back.

And as you said

156 was the last card I needed for the set...except now for the second 107 image

And thanks to NYY and Big Red for all the good info

Al
  • I have been collecting MB cards since I got a game as a kid. I have friends that have quite a bit of these cards. They are difficult to find now, a little easier years ago.

The best way to evaluate the back of the card is not the color per se, but the oval player caption and the oval cartoon at the bottom of the card. In the 1968 Topps BB 4th through 6th series (not 1-3 or the 7th) Topps printed regular 1968 cards on either the goldenrod/gold stock or a more yellow stock, similar to the Milton Bradley stock. The gold backs have GRAY player captions and GRAY cartoon captions, and the more yellow stock has WHITE (almost a bleached white) player name caption and a WHITE cartoon. From looking at boxes and boxes of 1968s I can say that these cards are right at a 50/50 distribution. I would think of this as a poor man's 1956 white/gray back situation. Technically, this could be considered a very common variation. Reminds me of the green tint 1962 cards, but I think those cards are about 70/30 regular to green tint.

The Mantle card that everyone refers to is in the 3rd series. I think something is defective with the picture. I have looked at many Mantles in my years of collecting and have never seen a caption oval that was not gray in the background color. There is no Mantle card in the MB set. Newton's law of gravity will be disproved before Dave Hornish's "rule of eleven".

If you look at MB cards, they all have the yellow back with the typical GRAY name oval and lower cartoon. This confirms, along with the yellow back, that the card is a Milton Bradley card. About 40% of the MBs that I have seen seem to be a lighter yellow stock than others. This same percentage seems to hold for football and hot rod cards as well. A close friend has a beauty of a game, and his backs in all three types of cards are all the brighter yellow.

More good input. Thanks goheels, and welcome

Al
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Great thread. Thanks to CU, I've learned more about Milton Bradley cards in the past week than all my collecting years combined.

Cross posting another informative thread in case it gets locked -> CLICK ME!
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
    1968 Topps Milton Bradley Nolan Ryan

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

There was a discussion on another thread concerning the Milton Bradley Nolan Ryan, I can tell you for sure if the white border appears on the Nolan Ryan side of the card it is definitely a Milton Bradley card. The white border can also appear on the left and the top of the card. The way to tell if these are Milton Bradley cards is by the yellow back of the card.
  • Update 9/12/12: As of Monday there were 313 PSA Graded Milton Bradley cards, but as of today there are only 312. Any guesses as to which card # now has a lower pop? Card number 177 Nolan Ryan RC used to have a population of 36, but now has a pop of 35 and there used to be six PSA 5's, but now there are only five. A PSA 7MC qualifies as a PSA 5. It appears that this could be the returned card to PSA. PSA may have pulled it from the pop while it's under review(doubtful they would do that) or maybe they determined it wasn't a Milton Bradley card, or maybe there is another reason. Also, I have subbed numerous M.B. cards that have not been graded and are labeled "Miscut". I called PSA once for an explanation because there are cards out there with the "MC" qualifier. I honestly didn't understand the explanation. Maybe PSA will not grade the returned card and give a refund of value back because of their prior mistake. It does seem possible, although it would be unusual for PSA to review the card that quickly since it was just recently returned. Any thoughts?
    Mystery Card Shopper
    These Topps Milton Bradley cards are usually distinguished by the imperfect cut of the 132 card sheet. The border of the 1968 Topps baseball or the white border of the Hot Rod or 1967 Topps football cards can be found on the cards. Although there are 11 cards that never have a border, and can only be found by examining the back of the card. I consider these cards the hardest to find.

64 Jim Merritt, 45 Tom Seaver, 26 Darrell Brandon, 44 Frank Kostro, 108 Don Pavletich, 8 A.L. ERA Leaders, 53 Gene Alley, 61 Reggie Smith, 60 Ken Holtzman, 98 Gary Sutherland, and
    19 Juan Pizzaro
  • Posting grades below from a recent 1967 Topps Milton Bradley Football submission. Please contact me if you need any 1968 Baseball or 1967 Football Milton Bradley cards as I have many raw and PSA graded cards available. Thanks.

Cert Number Spec No. Description Grade Status
    20957266 NA11000029 1967 TOPPS MILTON BRADLEY 12 ART GRAHAM 8 Cert Printed
    20957267 NA11000029 1967 TOPPS MILTON BRADLEY 12 ART GRAHAM 8 Cert Printed
    20957268 NA11000030 1967 TOPPS MILTON BRADLEY 18 STEW BARBER 7 Cert Printed
    20957269 NA11000013 1967 TOPPS MILTON BRADLEY 22 DICK HUDSON 8 Cert Printed
    20957270 NA11000007 1967 TOPPS MILTON BRADLEY 58 ERNIE LADD 8 Cert Printed
    20957271 NA11000008 1967 TOPPS MILTON BRADLEY 60 PETE BEATHARD 7 Cert Printed
    20957272 NA11000018 1967 TOPPS MILTON BRADLEY 68 JIM TYRER 7 Cert Printed
    20957273 NA11000020 1967 TOPPS MILTON BRADLEY 87 RICH ZECHER 8 Cert Printed
    20957274 NA11000009 1967 TOPPS MILTON BRADLEY 88 DAVE KOCOUREK 7 Cert Printed
    20957275 NA11000021 1967 TOPPS MILTON BRADLEY 92 SAM DeLUCA 8 Cert Printed
    20957276 NA11000026 1967 TOPPS MILTON BRADLEY 95 WINSTON HILL 8 Cert Printed
    20957277 NA11S00001 1967 TOPPS MILTON BRADLEY 103 DARYLE LAMONICA 6 Cert Printed
    20957279 NA11S00002 1967 TOPPS MILTON BRADLEY 116 BEN DAVIDSON 8 Cert Printed
    20957280 NA11000027 1967 TOPPS MILTON BRADLEY 117 TOM DAY 8OC Cert Printed
    20957281 NA11000010 1967 TOPPS MILTON BRADLEY 121 PAUL LOWE 8 Cert Printed
    20957282 NA11000012 1967 TOPPS MILTON BRADLEY 130 FRANK BUNCOM 9 Cert Printed
    20957283 NA11000012 1967 TOPPS MILTON BRADLEY 130 FRANK BUNCOM 8 Ce
    Mystery Card Shopper
  • replied back to all pm's.....
    Mystery Card Shopper
    Congratulations on an awesome sub, 8's are hard to come by with this set, and a 9 is incredible.

<< <i>Posting grades below from a recent 1967 Topps Milton Bradley Football submission. Please contact me if you need any 1968 Baseball or 1967 Football Milton Bradley cards as I have many raw and PSA graded cards available. Thanks.

Cert Number Spec No. Description Grade Status
    20957266 NA11000029 1967 TOPPS MILTON BRADLEY 12 ART GRAHAM 8 Cert Printed
    20957267 NA11000029 1967 TOPPS MILTON BRADLEY 12 ART GRAHAM 8 Cert Printed
    20957268 NA11000030 1967 TOPPS MILTON BRADLEY 18 STEW BARBER 7 Cert Printed
    20957269 NA11000013 1967 TOPPS MILTON BRADLEY 22 DICK HUDSON 8 Cert Printed
    20957270 NA11000007 1967 TOPPS MILTON BRADLEY 58 ERNIE LADD 8 Cert Printed
    20957271 NA11000008 1967 TOPPS MILTON BRADLEY 60 PETE BEATHARD 7 Cert Printed
    20957272 NA11000018 1967 TOPPS MILTON BRADLEY 68 JIM TYRER 7 Cert Printed
    20957273 NA11000020 1967 TOPPS MILTON BRADLEY 87 RICH ZECHER 8 Cert Printed
    20957274 NA11000009 1967 TOPPS MILTON BRADLEY 88 DAVE KOCOUREK 7 Cert Printed
    20957275 NA11000021 1967 TOPPS MILTON BRADLEY 92 SAM DeLUCA 8 Cert Printed
    20957276 NA11000026 1967 TOPPS MILTON BRADLEY 95 WINSTON HILL 8 Cert Printed
    20957277 NA11S00001 1967 TOPPS MILTON BRADLEY 103 DARYLE LAMONICA 6 Cert Printed
    20957279 NA11S00002 1967 TOPPS MILTON BRADLEY 116 BEN DAVIDSON 8 Cert Printed
    20957280 NA11000027 1967 TOPPS MILTON BRADLEY 117 TOM DAY 8OC Cert Printed
    20957281 NA11000010 1967 TOPPS MILTON BRADLEY 121 PAUL LOWE 8 Cert Printed
    20957282 NA11000012 1967 TOPPS MILTON BRADLEY 130 FRANK BUNCOM 9 Cert Printed
    20957283 NA11000012 1967 TOPPS MILTON BRADLEY 130 FRANK BUNCOM 8 Ce >>

• Just listed a very rare 1968 Topps Milton Bradley near set (62/76) cards-PSA graded & raw including #177 Nolan Ryan RC-PSA 4 on ebay. Ebay user id: memberx46879
    Mystery Card Shopper
  • Best wishes selling that partial set. Someone should jump on the chance to get 80% of the BB cards at one time. I have been looking for these cards for several decades and I think it would take 2-3 years to assemble all these together

I should point out that the correct set number for BB is 77 and not 76. PSA has actually graded two of the other checklist variety--the 107 Tan Wide Mesh. These second series checklist cards were actually printed on the first series checklist, to entice kids to look for the next series to come. I am not sure why they have not changed the BB total to 77 cards and the total MB count to 132.

I do know there are several members on this board (and thread) who have both versions of the checklist card.

There are 44 1st series cards and the 107 check list card lines up at the very left end of a row of 11 cards (107-77-66-17-78-105-100-106-16-13-80. If it is badly off centered you can see a white strip border ro the left of the card, as with the regular series. The same is true of the Carew #80 card, with a white border on the right side.
  • Ebay User ID: Memberx46879 Listed on Ebay 1/29/13

You are bidding on a complete set(76 of 76 baseball cards) of 1968 Topps Milton Bradley cards that were included as part of the 1968 Milton Bradley Win a Card Game. There were 76 baseball cards included in this game that were produced by Topps for M.B. and were exactly like the regular issue '68 Topps baseball cards except for the card backs which have a distinctive "cheesier yellow" color as you can see in the Gaylord Perry card back scan. Every card has the same color(cheesy yellow) back. These cards were played with/handled as part of the game and are very rare and hard to find in any condition. This is a very nice set and most cards are EX-EXMT(some better/worse) Unless you are fortunate to find the original game with some of the cards(5-6K at auction) it would still take you a very long time(years) to find all of these cards because each game included only a percentage of the set and also had '67 Topps Football and Hot Rod cards.You will notice some of the baseball cards have a "whiteish border which is from the '67 Football cards cut from the same sheets in production. . This set is highlighted by card #177 the Nolan Ryan Rookie Card, Brooks Robinson, Tom Seaver, Ed Brinkman "Yellow Team Letters", Casey Cox "Yellow Team Letters", Gaylord Perry, Ed Mathews, Rocky Colavito, Juan Marichal Checklist(unmarked), Hank Aaron(crease), Bob Gibson and Rod Carew. This set has 75 Raw cards and one PSA graded card of Rod Carew PSA 7 . Good Luck bidding on this rare collection(possibly the first time ever offered on Ebay).

The set includes card numbers: 7/8/10/13/16/17/18/19/20/24/26/34/36/38/43/44/45/48/49/53/57/58/60/61/62/64/66/68/72/74/77/78/80/81/85/89/94/98/99/100/105/106/107/108/110/112/113/117/118/119/120/121/124/127/128/129/136/139/143/146/149/155/156/165/168/172/175/176/177/179/180/185/189/191/193/195
    Mystery Card Shopper