Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

I need this date, but.....this seems a tad high!

I hope this one won't cost me this much! Are these really going for this price?

Link!
Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.

Comments

• Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a ripoff. Move the decimal one place to the left for a slabbed coin, and 2 places for a raw one. Better yet, buy a '75 proof set with a nice nickel and have it slabbed; about one third of those slabbed are PR69DCAM's. A lower population doesn't mean the coin is "rare"; it's more likely that most people feel that it's so common that it's not worth slabbing (except for registry sets).

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭

This can't be a low pop coin. Currently, there are 48 coins listed in the pop report. image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    supercoinsupercoin Posts: 2,323
    I don't follow the prices on that coin, but I'd hold out for one with better cameo anyway -- even cutting it some slack for a bad photo it looks pretty weak.
  • Options
    littlewicherlittlewicher Posts: 1,822 ✭✭
    No one will probably buy it for that price.

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
    -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.
  • Options
    sonofagunksonofagunk Posts: 1,349 ✭✭
    What should one go for?
  • Options
    MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    Under $100...by, well, a lot. Any other opinions?
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.
  • Options
    sonofagunksonofagunk Posts: 1,349 ✭✭
    Well a lincoln in 1974-s pr69DCAM (finest known) would be a couple of hundred. I thought the nickels were taking off too (I think it should be about $0.05)
  • Options
    supercoinsupercoin Posts: 2,323
    Many of those Lincolns are tough in that grade because of the 69 part not the DCAM -- those cent proofs are plagued with spots.

Nickels don't have the spotting issues, and I don't really think they are tough in DCAM from say the mid-70's on, but I haven't really paid much attention. Maybe I was tossing out $200 nickels while plucking out $50 Ikes. image
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    I'd do the same, buy the proof set, send one in to have it slabbed, much cheaper and more fun too.image
  • Options
    I saw this last night also - was tempted to write to the guy and ask him when the last time he pulled his head out and looked for daylight......... if this was not a typo (which it doesn't appear to be) this guy is a scam artist to say the least, and everyone on this board and elsewhere should boycott his auctions! I'd have to dig up a reciept but when I bought mine a couple years back (with a lower pop at the time) I don't think I paid over $30 for it. Had to go back to June 1999 to find the last two sold on Teletrade - one sold for $12 the other for $27. They may not appear to be readily available but look at how few total have been graded. You'd be better off making your own and saving $250 off his BIN!
    ahhhh....... SODO MELVIN?????
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't do this series, but I have experience in another similar series or two. Since there are no 70DCAMs for this year, I would put the price at $75-100. As soon as someone finally gets a 70DCAM up there, the price should be about $25.00 on EBAY or Teletrade. Supergrade dealers would probably charge $35-39 for it. This guy obviously is out to rip somebody off. I like the idea of getting a proof set and making your own. Find a dealer with about 10 sets of this year, and I bet you will find at least one that will go 69DCAM.

That's my five cents worth!

Doug
    Doug
  • Options
    All I can say is there aren't very many listed---as pointed out, you need to go back almost 3 years to find one on Teletrade. I finally got tired of my empty hole there and bought a 68DCAM which I overpaid for (at about $30) as I recall from a fairly high priced (but high reputation and quality) dealer. Given the apparant lack of availability, I wouldn't be surprised if a 69DCAM would fetch $100, but anything more would really surprise me.

Pete
  • Options
    The PCGS price guide has it at $85 now. I think it was quite a bit lower, not very long ago (four or six months ago).

Pete
  • Options
    If you go the do it yourself route then be sure to try and cherry pick a good proof set. PCGS was very tuff on giving up the full DCAM on the 75' and 76' nickels I sent in. I still have several nice ones in sets but if you have never tried to get the nickel out of those kind of sets before then good luck! Just when you think you have it pulled apart is when all the coins go flying except the nickel that is almost molded into the plastic. Makes for good practise though.imageimage

Larry
    Dabigkahunaimageimage
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    wow

I wanna know who gets the credit for starting the Registry Set Craze...

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    PCGS started it, and it worked, most of you wouldn't even consider buying a coin in another slabimage Groupthink is an amazing thing.
  • Options
    I would agree with the group consensus this guy is a ripoff....but the 75 is hard to find and his is the only one I have ever seen listed...I finally broke down and bought mine from R&I Coins...and Rick T.......it is a cherry DCAM..but it was $75 as well....but worth it for my collection.

r,
    Paul
  • Options
    This guy is a well known rip-off. Beware of his goods and prices. He preys on new collectors.image
    USASA
    1966-1971