Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

RG3 and/or Andrew Luck as investments

Anyone sinking any money into these guys? They both seem pretty interesting to me. Any thoughts?
Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
Jeff

Comments

• Options
    The high end cards started out super expensive. Not sure if they are a great investment or not but I sure would like to get that 84 retro auto of Luck. Thats a sweet card!

Luck retro auto

Robert
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>The high end cards started out super expensive. Not sure if they are a great investment or not but I sure would like to get that 84 retro auto of Luck. Thats a sweet card!

Luck retro auto
    Robert >>

But $600.00? Man, some of this newer stuff goes for some bucks. Too risky IMO. (But yes, it is a real nice looking card & auto.)
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I don't typically buy any of the new shiny stuff either, but lately I've been trying my luck a little. Besides, it's not like I can turn on the TV and watch Ty Cobb play or Jack Dempsey fight anymore. It's kinda fun being able to collect players that are currently on the field. I'm definitely unsure of the investment potential, though - which is why I figured I'd pose the question to the minds of the board.
    Jeff
  • Options
    if money is the name of the game, i'd go with Topps Chrome for Football, as that is probably the most popular non-high dollar wax released annually for football.

so the Gold Refractor Auto /50 is probably the way to go
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Investment? No
    Card values for these guys will never be as high as they are right now. Unless they win a couple Super Bowls. And even then prices may not approach what they were when collectors were focused on the hype and potential.
  • Options

<< <i>Investment? No
    Card values for these guys will never be as high as they are right now. Unless they win a couple Super Bowls. And even then prices may not approach what they were when collectors were focused on the hype and potential. >>

When you say they will never be as high as they are right now - are you referring to literally right now - or during their rookie season? I don't feel like a football player has to win a Super Bowl in order for their cards to retain their value. If they continually put up great numbers throughout their career - I wouldn't think the value of their cards would go down.
    Jeff
  • Options

I don't know that most Peyton Manning cards have even gone up during his career - that is certainly something to think about.
    Always buying music cards of artists I like! PSA or raw! Esp want PSA 10s 1991 Musicards Marx, Elton, Bryan Adams, etc. And 92/93 Country Gold AJ, Clint Black, Tim McGraw PSA 10s
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Not trying to get off subject here, but in regards to that '84 retro card.....what product did that come out of??? And as far as topps chrome goes, when is the release date?

Shawn
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    I can remember Peyton Manning SP Authentic Rookies graded BGS 9.5/PSA 10 bringing $2500.00+ back in 1998/1999.

The first one brought $10,000.

The card today sells for $900.00 or so today. He has had a HOF career and won a Super Bowl.

The other guy who was hot was Tim Couch.

The Tim Couch was selling for around $1000.00 and can be had know for five bucks.

To me, the only way to INVEST in modern sports cards is to buy players with little/no fanfare and them pan out.

A few would have been Tom Brady, Kurt Warner and in basketball Jeremy Lin etc.

Let me know if you ever figure out who it is we should buy and we can both get rich.

In baseball, it is tough because the cards are so hot if they do anything in the minors.

So my answer is never INVEST in the shiny stuff for the long term.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options

<< <i>Not trying to get off subject here, but in regards to that '84 retro card.....what product did that come out of???

Shawn >>

Shawn, I believe it's 2012 Topps Football.
    Jeff
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Not trying to get off subject here, but in regards to that '84 retro card.....what product did that come out of???

Shawn >>

Shawn, I believe it's 2012 Topps Football. >>

That's correct, 2012 Football. Will probably be a chrome version when chrome comes out.

Investment wise, it's hard to say. Prospecting can provide returns, but buying a rookie with fanfare you are buying high and since so many rookie's don't go on to become HoFers I think the investment potential is slim.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anytime I think of investment potential as far as brand new cards are concerned I think of all the Brady Rookie autos that sat in dealers cheap boxes, my buddy who was big time into the autos way back when told me that they were available for litterally $5 apiece. In my opinion Your better off gambling with really cheap autos of guys nobody thinks will ever play, guys like Luck ect with a huge following right off the bat make it difficult to invest when there is a big price tag already attached to it.
  • Options
    I appreciate everyone's input on this. I guess this is a good reminder why I haven't been investing in modern cards for the past ten years.
    Jeff
  • Options

<< <i>Investment? No
    Card values for these guys will never be as high as they are right now. Unless they win a couple Super Bowls. And even then prices may not approach what they were when collectors were focused on the hype and potential. >>

I agree only if they have mediocre seasons. Cam Newton cards gradually increased throughout the season and spiked again with ROY.

If they come out the gates you'll see a surge and spike in price I'd say 15-25%. In order to maintain that, they must play brilliant. No super bowl, no ROY, expect a crash up to 30-40% after the season is over.

You can play these Rookies, modern cards, hype, no hitters, batting streaks etc, but they have to be shorted just like a stock.

I bought a Griffin Luck dual Auto several months back it's a Bowman #d to 25. If I sold now I'd break even. I'll hold and hope for the numbers and make a quick flip for a hundo or two.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    If I were investing in modern FB rookies, I'd go with a "flip when hot" strategy on WRs who weren't high 1st round picks. 1 big game (think 2 SportsCenter highlights) can shoot card prices up for several weeks.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    GRGR Posts: 550 ✭✭
    Yeah low end rookie recievers are a great investment, just look at Rod Streeter, i havent even seen a card of him and hes already made the 53 for the Raiders...
    Nathan Wagner
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't know that most Peyton Manning cards have even gone up during his career - that is certainly something to think about. >>

Having bought Manning cards since 1998, I can tell you that there has been a slight increase, but nothing that out performs the average 401k

I bought a lot of about 50 1998 Playoff Prestige for about $6 each way back then.....I still have em, but looking at ebay, they sell occasionally for higher than $6, but not usually. As far as the SP authentic....when they first came out, they were in the $200 range, now theyre $600-$900 on average. A good investment, but more people are aware now of the tougher to get rookies. The Playoff Contenders would have been a good one as well

But to answer the question......NO, RG3 and Luck cards are already too high to be considered an investment, nor should any card be. You want investing, buy silver or gold or put it in the stock market
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    I purchased this Andrew Luck as an investment.

Andrew Luck Error

It was an error pulled and only 39 copies were made. I feel that Luck will break a ton of records as the game of football is much easier for a rookie QB to succeed. The colts will let him throw the ball a ton, and he will put up yards/TDs/points....

Eventually Brady and Manning will retire and Luck and Rodgers may be the next to great ones....

This card was going for 1000 quickly and his play will push it back up quickly......I really need cash now, and I am not trying to buy free add space for my listing as really would like to hold on to it......

In 6 years if he has a superbowl win under the belt and some records in reach it will be a 1000 card....this and his auto cards will have to retain value.....

The economy and card industry is down now....In 6 years all will gain value and in 10 years I would think everything of Luck will be worth 40% more...

but if you have the money, you could say the same about stocks, collectables, and many other investments.....

I have about 20 cards that I don't want to sell because I know the value will rise, BUT LIKE 80% OF COLLECTORS OUT THERE THE ECONOMY HAS CAUSED ME TO TAKE WAY LESS IN SALES BECAUSE OF THE NEED FOR ADDED INCOME THAT IS LACKING IN OTHER PLACES -- THAT WAS PRESENT 5 YEARS AGO.....

Good luck to all in these tough times !~~~
    Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
  • Options
    They will most likely never be worth more than they are right now.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They will most likely never be worth more than they are right now. >>

Agreed, you would be better off buying a wax box of that year and sitting on it.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    Someone seems to think RG3 cards are going to be a good investment: GOOD NIGHT!
    Jeff
  • Options
    Finished at $4,600 and change. Pretty impressive.
    Jeff
  • Options
    Two words: Ryan Leaf. Not saying either of these guys will become the FU that Leaf did, but w/ rooks you never know. Remember, Leaf was neck-and-neck w/ Payton when both were drafted and was the SD Dolts #1 pick.
  • Options
    I don't know if anyone else saw this auction end, but it was truly a jaw-dropper: ANDREW LUCK SUPERFRACTOR

Jeff
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Both players need to have Tom Brady like success in order for thier rookie cards to maintain thier lofty values. Some people plan to wait before buying any of thier pricey stuff, but the problem with that is, if you're talking about a rookie card limited to 100 or under, you may not get another chance to buy one or pay even more if they go on to have great careers. Both players played great this year, but I think RG3 will have a better team around him sooner than Luck, so he may see success sooner.

Now, they both have numerous autographed rookie cards. Almost too many. The 84 retros are awesome, but I really like those 1965 Tall Boys. I would love Tall Boy auto refractors from both players. I will wait for the NFL playoffs to be over and all the excitement to die down and hope I can get them for less money than what they are going for now.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    I usually wait a few years to invest in a QB. The prices now are as high as they will ever be, unless the guy wins a Super Bowl. So, I don't think now is the time to invest in rookie QBs. Look at Cam Newton. He was the golden boy last season, now he's just okay. Always give these rookie QBs a few years in the league before investing.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Card "investing" is like investing in Vegas.

The only people that come out ahead are those who remember the victories but not the defeats.

I remember stock piling Bob Horner and Willie Wilson rookies in 1979. Turned out Ozzie Smith should have been the one to hoard. Who knew....