Home Sports Talk

Adam Greenburg - One At-Bat

jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
Incredible story...

Adam Greenberg seeks one official at-bat with help of campaign and petition

Back in 2005, Greenberg was a 24-year-old member of the Chicago Cubs when he stepped into the batter's box for the first plate appearance of his major-league career. His big-league career ended almost as quickly as it began, though, as the first pitch from Florida Marlins reliever Valerio De Los Santos hit Greenberg in the head. The immediate result for the young outfielder was a concussion, but the lingering effects of vertigo and blurred vision put Greenberg on a difficult road to a lengthy recovery process that included stops with three additional organizations but never another call-up to a big-league club.

To this date, Greenberg remains one of only four position players — and the first since Philadelphia's Fred Van Dusen in 1955 — to be hit by a pitch in his only career plate appearance. Of those four, he's the only one to have his career end on the first pitch.

Comments

• thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    interesting story, and maybe I'm just getting old and grizzled, but I'd much rather see Clemens get that last roster spot mentioned instead of this guy if it came down to it.

Brought back a funny mempry for me though. My very first at bat in youth league, I got plunked in the chin by a pitcher 3 years older than me. My parents decided I should go back in the proper league with kids my age instead of playing up 2 divisions, LOL

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    good story, i signed up...

i would like to see him sign with the cubs, why not at this point for the cubs
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    He gets hit by the 1st pitch he sees in MLB, while Mark Lemke had 3,664 plate appearances (probably 13,000+ pitches) and he was never hit. image