Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Ripping Topps Chrome and Bowman Platinum 2012 - Am I just wasting my money?

the group breaks have only fueled my fire to rip packs - so i started dipping into modern with this year's B Plat and T Chrome - its to the point where i step out for a coffee and come back with a box to rip - i'm ending up with some nice sets and cards - but no mega hits - i like the educational factor for me to get up to speed on the players - but it if its between this and my 71 and 75 sets, i think i'm losing focus - is any of this stuff gonna bring me some profit? I'l post some scans shortly but if anyone thinks i need an intervention feel free to give me a virtual smack in the face...

Comments

• Probably won't make much money but it's fun to rip. I'd stick to the 75's IMHO.
  • I tried both those products and got my butt kicked on them. Unless you hit one of the bigger auto's-Harper, Cespedes, Darvish, ect. you're basically wasting money. The resale on Topps Chrome is HORRIBLE, not to mention the auto checklist is 7/8 $5 autos.

I always jump on Bowman, Bowman Chrome, and Bowman Draft. If you can hold some of the prospects with potential until they get the call there is lots of money to be made. It's always a gamble with modern, but less so with the core Bowman products from my experience. I also recommend going for cases if it's in your budget, gives you a much greater chance at hitting a nice card for less.
  • jlzinckjlzinck Posts: 907 ✭✭
    You can do well if you can get these out of 5 or 6 packs like a local guy here did.image

• If you buy modern, stick with a few brands and if you don't want the commons, give them away to local kids. Any box you purchase with only one autograph per isn't going to exciteunless you hit a big one. I tend to go with older modern with established players where the bsae rookie cards command solid prices. See my 2001 Topps Jumbo football break. This one worked out but could have been better if the base weren't all stuck together. With Tomlinson, Brees and Vick rookies along with players like Reggie Wayne and Richard Seymour, I can't lose.
  • Yeah I didn't get any high end autos. Few boxes of each to learn my lesson. I like the prospecting angle so like the idea of the cases of core bowman. Thanks for the info guys.
  • addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    I bought Platinum, pulled a Darvish RC and then realized they are selling for a $1 image