Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

question on + graded coin pricing

PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
I see prices for + grade coin that have NO population, or a population of 1 and has not offered to the public.

Is this a guess or is there good reason for those listed prices?

Just looking for answers to get a better hold of the market.
Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

Comments

• Options
    Do you have a specific example?
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I see prices for + grade coin that have NO population, or a population of 1 and has not offered to the public.

Just looking for answers to get a better hold of the market. >>

I think this was discussed when + grades first came out and to paraphrase, I think we were told that they were very conservative educated guesses.
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    as and example an 1875 seated quarter...

the price guide has prices listed. The pop report has only 1 and that is a MS64+ no other grades have any listed.
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    DonWillisDonWillis Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    When we introduced + grading we weren't sure what would happen to pricing so we put up some very conservative values.

Since then the market tells us that for + coins that become pop, top or + coins where there is a large spread between grades, the price can be significantly hirer than the base grade. + coins where there is a small spread seem to be priced like any PQ coin would be.
  • Options
    Numismedia lists MS64s at around $700 and MS65S at $1500. PCGS 64s are listed at $950 and "plus" grade at $1050. Ultimately the market will determine value, auctions with good exposure, etc..
  • Options
    khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    I almost posted this same question the other day.

The problem with auction results correcting the price guide is in low pop coins. I was looking at a 66+ with a population of 2 or 3. None have ever been auctioned and who knows when one finally will be (and is one result really enough data to correct the guide?)

-KHayse
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I like to own PCGS Plus graded coins. It makes me feel good to know that PCGS agrees my coins are high end for the grade on the label. CAC only stickers according to the label grade without consideration of the Plus. One would then think all PCGS Plus coins should earn the green bean.

No problem with me paying extra for the Plus grade.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I price PCGS + coins based on the PCGS price guide. That they have a greenbean or not is irrevelant to me as that is just someones opinion of a TPG coin and not one I always agree with. I price the coin itself and where it falls in the grade range. I have found PCGS+ graded coins to be exceptionally PQ and high end for the grade.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I see prices for + grade coin that have NO population, or a population of 1 and has not offered to the public.

Just looking for answers to get a better hold of the market. >>

I appreciate Mr. Willis chiming in. I understand how they guesstimate + prices based upon the prices above and below the plus grades, but I never understood how they come up with top pop plus prices that have never traded.
  • Options
    TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    As DH has said on many occassions, the plus grade will really make a big difference in value
    in some cases, and just a little in others.

Examples: The plus makes the coin a top pop( Multiple 66's and only one 66+.)
    One 64+, and only 2 higher( a 65 and a 66) and a large price gap bet. grades

But where there is a large pop in the grade that has a plus, and also a large pop in the next grade, the plus
    will only add a little. Like 1924 Saints in 65, a 65+ still has to contend with thousands of 66's.

Pricing on coins that have not traded( recently or at all)- This is a problem for plus coins, as well as others
    that see little action.
    And the guides are often off by a lot. PCGS is knowledgeable, more than most, but just makes a reasonable estimate.

It is not til the coin actually trades that the market establishes a value.

TahoeDale
  • Options
    khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    I like to own PCGS Plus graded coins. It makes me feel good to know that PCGS agrees my coins are high end for the grade on the label. CAC only stickers according to the label grade without consideration of the Plus. One would then think all PCGS Plus coins should earn the green bean.

This is an interesting perspective but not one I share. The PCGS Plus coins should not all get a green bean because they aren't nice for their grade...they are nice for the grade below (without the plus). image
    You see a MS66+ as a nice 66. I see it as a totally extra grade inserted in between 66 and 67. If it were just a nice 66, I would expect it to get, at most, 66.25 points in the registry. But PCGS gives it 66.5 times the weight value.

How do others view them?

-KHayse

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file