Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

signature,any idea whose?

Ok guys, i looked for days online, went to local memorabilia dealer, u name it. I found book from 1958, modern defensive football and its signed to coach Van from somebody. Does anybody know this signature? Please help

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86101772@N07/7888050396/

Comments

• Joe
  • SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    It looks like "Doc" to me.

My first thought would be to investigate signatures of the authors to see if either of them ever signed their name "Doc". Based on a quick wikipedia search, it appears that Gomer Jones died in 1971. So the 1985 date under the signature would appear to rule him out. Bud Wilkinson didn't die until 1994, so he still remains a possibility. Though, it doesn't seem likely that a guy named Charles who already has a nickname of "Bud" would also be "Doc" (unless he was an actual Doctor later in life, which it doesn't appear Wilkinson was).

That pretty much leaves the possibility that this book was given to Coach Van by someone other than the authors who goes by "Doc". It would be pretty difficult, IMO, to make any additional connections to who that person may have been.
  • MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure it's just a gift inscription from someone who gave the book to "Coach Van" as a gift.

The "Doc" part of the signature looks somewhat like JT "Doc" Prothro who was an MLB baseball player but he died in 1971 so the 1985 thing doesn't make sense. He was the father of NFL football coach Tommy Prothro.
  • I'm not convinced thats a 1985. Looks more like a +985 to me