Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Jackie Robinson / Satchel Paige auto opinions

I am asking for opinion on the following autographs of Satchel Paige and Jackie Robinson. These were shown to me by a friend.

Comments

• cubfan89cubfan89 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    I'm gonna say both autos are good.
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭
    Agreed...of ones I have seen, those look good
  • canjondcanjond Posts: 422 ✭✭✭
    To be honest, I don't like them. The Jackie looks way to drawn to me.
    For information on baseball-related cigarette and tobacco packs, visit www.baseballandtobacco.com.
  • MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    They all look good to me (the Boog Powell too) however you have to take the autographs in context. If you are going to do a forgery, why do it in a scorebook like this at a time when there was almost no financial incentive to sell autographs of either player?

The Twins came into existence in 1961 and the KC A's moved to Oakland after the 1967 season. So you could make the assumption that it is possible that Robinson and/or Paige appeared at an old-timer's day game which was common at the time. People would often get autographs of players of this stature on anything they had available. It should be relatively easy to track down that information. Newspaper archives can be your friend in this case.

People new to autograph collecting have to realize that both Paige and Robinson signed willingly through the mail and even up to the mid 1980s you could easily buy either player's autograph for $20 or less.
  • canjondcanjond Posts: 422 ✭✭✭
    I stand by my original statement... the Paige looks off to me, but is the better of the two. I don't like the Jackie at all. Here is a nice, bold Robinson from my personal collection:

Here are just a few things I don't like about the Jackie above...

- The overall slant of the signature is different. I tend to notice Jackie consistently signing on the same "plane". The signature above does not exhibit that.
    - The formation of the "R" in Robinson is atypical.
    - The "s" in Robinson is pointed, not rounded.
    For information on baseball-related cigarette and tobacco packs, visit www.baseballandtobacco.com.
  • From what my friend tells me, both autos were acquired in 1965. The Paige was acquired when he was with Kansas City. He joined Kansas City in Minnesota on that day on the scorecard to prepare for the game he'd pitch two weeks later against Boston. I found some newspaper reports backing that up. Robinson was doing color commentary for MLB game of the week in 1965. The Paige looks a lot better than the Robinson to me, but they make sense for the time period.