Home U.S. Coin Forum

Greysheet on pricing of AU Bust halves

In this week's GS, they state that dealers are "hot" for Bust halves, paying bid for AU50, $310 for AU53s, $360 for AU55 and $450 for AU58. I don't know where they are getting this pricing information. I know lots of people who would love to buy at those prices. If you are able to find real AUs at coin shows and then get them properly certified without details, paying $25 a coin or so, I do not know how you could afford to sell at those levels, especially the last price for AU58s. Anyone have an idea what they are talking about since they do not include XF45, AU53, 55 or 58 in their regular price sheets?

Comments

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,145 ✭✭✭✭✭
    W/o reading it myself, I'm guessing one or more market makers posted buy prices like the ones you listed.

Are they realistic? It depends. If you take your average looking coins to 'Joe the local B&M dealer' you probably won't even get offered that.
    If you have a super toner AU58, take it to a Sheridan Downey and get much more.
    As is frequently stated, it's just a guide - take it for what it is.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Decent Bust Half Dollars are not priced by the Greysheet. Look to auction prices realized, and forget the GS.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Grey sheet picks up bids on dealer networks to put interesting blurbs in the commentary. These prices were offered on cce by a NH dealer. I would be curious if he got any takers.

It is simply an offer to buy, and not necessarily a level that coins actually trade at.

You can also find offers to buy 1839-O halves at bid. It does not mean they get any.

Take what is in the sheets with a healthy dose of skepticism.

merse

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Decent Bust Half Dollars are not priced by the Greysheet. Look to auction prices realized, and forget the GS. >>

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • I recently bought a couple Bust halves in AU58 for $650 each, even then they needed to be re-holdered, thought I was getting a good deal. I bought a group of Seated and Bust halves recently and most of them did not certify, out of nine only four got numerical grades, the rest were called "details" with cleaning. I guess someone needed to leave them in the Wayte-Raymond holders longer.
  • rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These advertised buy prices are going to be low because they don't expect to get PQ material. The coins they will be able to buy at those prices are the absolute bare minimum for the assigned grade. Picture an NGC AU50 Bustie that has a weak strike and has been dipped many times. Most people would sell that to them at AU50 greysheet Bid.

I don't even look at greysheet any more. It's only useful for truly generic items like common Morgans, and I don't buy those.

• ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    a greysheet is good to have around if you own birds. or possibly as reading material in the bathroom.... could also be used for any other act requiring paper in the bathroom as well.
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭
    You can sometimes buy common 1830s dates in AU-50 holders that are average coins for around bid on the wholesale market.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file