Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Opinions Needed on Autographed Baseballs and 8x10s...**Mantle, Aaron, Koufax, Musial, Williams, Paig

As most of you already know, I am an unopened pack and card collector, but my father is a pretty avid collector of signed baseballs and gave these to me along with a few others some time ago. I was wondering what the consensus here is regarding the authenticity of the autographs and whether the balls would be worth sending to PSA/DNA or not. Any feedback or opinions would be appreciated! Clockwise left to right, the autos are Sandy Koufax, Mickey Mantle, Harmon Killebrew and Ralph Kiner.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Comments

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's the other side of the Mantle ball...it is a 50th All Star Game ball from 1983--not sure if that is even significant or not..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭

Mick, Killebrew and Kiner all look good for sure. think the Koufax is good too. PSA/DNA - Koufax ball yes and maybe the Mick. Mantle would be for sure except the ball has some much discoloration.
  • daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    Tim - I agree and think they look good. I would just send the Koufax and Mantle to PSA/DNA. Neat inscription on the Koufax.
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    I think they're all good as well. Mantle & Killebrew for sure, I just don't have much expertise on the other two but they flow well.
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
    Thanks for the feedback, fellas. I appreciate it!

I have a few others and will scan them tonight.

Thanks again for the feedback on the first group of balls. Here is another group of 4 autographed baseballs. Clockwise left to right: Musial, Schmidt, Carlton and Aaron.
    The Aaron is inscribed to someone which I'm assuming detracts from its value?

• earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭

they all look good auto wise. I'd pass on any psa/dna fees. possibly the Schmidt but it appears there is another signature on the ball
  • scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    I agree. I don't know Schmidt & Carlton that well but they look pretty good. Aaron is all over the place with his auto but I like this older one. Musial is basically textbook (and rarely faked).
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    The new 4 all look fine.

In regards to the Aaron value, it's a common thought that personalization detracts from a ball's value. While true if you sole intention is to resell, as a long time autograph collector I personally have no issue with personalizations or inscriptions, after all, you are getting "more" of that particular person's handwriting, and in this case Aaron took a lot more care in signing his name. Actually, I've seen very few Aaron personalizations, so from a rarity standpoint your particular Aaron is uncommon, not that it will help when you try to sell it.

Balls that are signed in Sharpie have sometimes been known to bleed and/or fade over time (and not long in some cases). Keep that in mind with the Schmidt. For your collection balls signed in blue or black ink seem to have mostly stood the test of time. However all balls will fade if exposed to light over time (even indoor light).

Thanks again, guys, for the input (the Schmidt ball is also signed by Spahn)...here are the last 3 baseballs I have on hand. The one on the bottom is signed by 5 players: Bob Gibson, Bob Feller (signature is under Gibson's and very light and almost faded away), Juan Marichal, Hoyt Wilhelm and Warren Spahn. The ones on top are Berra and a dual signed ball by Andruw and Chipper Jones. I also have a number of signed 8x10 photos, including ones by Ali, Ted Williams and Paige, which I will scan later. Thanks again for the feedback!

Here are a few autographed 8x10s...Ted Williams and Mantle:

Another (older) Ted Williams and Aaron..

• milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    I think they are all legit. The only questionable one would be the 8x10 Williams. The W looks kind of strange.........however, the rest of the sig looks good. My opinion is they all are legit.
    Bob
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
    Thanks, Bob! Here are two more I found: Satchell Paige (signed in ballpoint pen) and Muhammad Ali (signed in black marker). I don't know exactly when
    my father acquired the Ali piece but I know he had it for many years.

Dr. J..

• cubfan89cubfan89 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    Every auto you've shown is legit to me except the Ali photo & Mantle & Williams photo. Not saying they ate bad it's just I'm not familiar with Ali and Mantle & Williams are difficult for me to get right sometimes.
  • KNAPPKNAPP Posts: 654 ✭✭✭
    I believe the Ali is fake.
    the KNAPP collection - specializing in boxing and wrestling
    Always looking to buy or trade for Andre the Giant autographs
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400

The Ali auto from what I've been told is a secretarial signature.

• mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    tim, unfortunately the dr j doesnt look good; i met him in person in 2002 and he signed a "one-on-one" poster for me that depicts him with larry bird back in 1984 when their video game of the same name came out (larry signed the poster for me in person back in 84; had to wait 18 years before dr j signed it and the masterpiece was finally complete!!). my "one-on-one" signed by both might be a "one-of-one"; have never seen another one signed by either of them, let alone the two of them.

unless your photo was signed in the 70's or 80's and he changed his sig years later, yours doesnt look anything like mine.

<< <i>tim, unfortunately the dr j doesnt look good; i met him in person in 2002 and he signed a "one-on-one" poster for me that depicts him with larry bird back in 1984 when their video game of the same name came out (larry signed the poster for me in person back in 84; had to wait 18 years before dr j signed it and the masterpiece was finally complete!!). my "one-on-one" signed by both might be a "one-of-one"; have never seen another one signed by either of them, let alone the two of them.

unless your photo was signed in the 70's or 80's and he changed his sig years later, yours doesnt look anything like mine. >>

I believe it is from the 80s--it's 25 years old at least. I don't know much about basketball though so I have no idea.

I know all of the baseball autos are good with the possible exception of one of the Ted Williams photos, and that's my main focus, so
    I'm happy about that.