Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1971 Topps - PSA 10 worthy?

Can you see anything that might keep this card from garnering a PSA 10 grade?

1971 Topps

Comments

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    I'm far from an expert, but does the T-B centering keep it out of a 10 holder?

• Options
    TheDudeAbidesTheDudeAbides Posts: 400 ✭✭✭
    That is one sweet ride ...
    Collecting 64, 66, 67, 70 & 71 Baseball. Cubs, wax, cello & rack baseball.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not expert either on this issue but at first glance it would seem to me as well that the top to bottom may be what is holding it back.

Either way that card is a blazer!!!!

• Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    Resub = 8

Don't do it
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    All depends on what the goal is: to keep for a private collection or flip a sale.

If for personal: I say buy it and know that you have an amazing card that is high-end for its grade, better than most other examples with 9s on their holders, and can hang with any 10.
    Who cares what the flip says when what's inside is so solid? And if you ever sell it, discerning collectors will price it higher than others.

If hoping to get the 10 for resale purposes then its always something of a subjective crapshoot; that said it is a great-looking card and I could see it getting a 10 on a serendipitous day.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Can you see anything that might keep this card from garnering a PSA 10 grade?

1971 Topps >>

Yes- the fact that the flip says '1971 Topps'.
  • Options
    MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    Boo is too true on that. Graders are just HARSH on some cards before they even get the loupe out. Stars, key RCs, and of course sometimes whole issues like 71T.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed, probably t-b centering. Here are the four 10s I've owned for comparison.

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Agreed, probably t-b centering. Here are the four 10s I've owned for comparison.

>>

I truly hope that all the snow on the Upshaw is actually on the card, and not on the holder.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Agreed, probably t-b centering. Here are the four 10s I've owned for comparison.

>>

I truly hope that all the snow on the Upshaw is actually on the card, and not on the holder. >>

The holder is fine. The snow is on the card but my scanner amplifies it significantly for some reason.
  • Options
    re-sub in holder guarantees the 9 as a worst case - worth the PSA fee IMO - go for it
  • Options
    T/B centering is going to keep it at a 9 IMHO.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    That card is lucky to be a 9
    The t-b centering looks close to 70-30
  • Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate your input here.