Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I passed on this 1914 quarter eagle, are my counterfeit suspicions justified?

I'm not well versed in this series, I do own one in a low MS grade though.

Things that bother me about this piece, as compared to a known counterfeit (quite a poor one) I found on another coin forum:

- the color (possibly only cleaned)
- the circular line around the outside near the rim. Could be that it was a jewellery piece? Looks like the line in that fake piece on the CT thread.
- The S alignment next to the R in DOLLARS seems off, again, very much like the one pictured in that thread.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections

Comments

• Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
    Hard to tell based off those pictures, but I can say that the circular mark inside is very common on real coins. I would be more worried if the coin DIDN'T have that mark. There are a few places to look when checking for legitimacy, but they aren't see-able due to the blurry photos.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this coin is very, very suspect. Real ones do not have rims. You are correct...back off.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭

<< <i>this coin is very, very suspect. Real ones do not have rims. You are correct...back off.

bobimage >>

Bob, this coin doesn't have rims. These are marks on the dies and are quite common on indian quarter eagles.

Coin looks fine to me.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    Gold is a soft metal and those 'rims' may be caused by a former bezel/jewelry setting......No way to tell from the blurry pics 100%

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Gold is a soft metal and those 'rims' may be caused by a former bezel/jewelry setting......No way to tell from the blurry pics 100% >>

Take a look at a few on HA, almost all of them exhibit that ring around the coin. Our host and NGC have no problem certifying these as problem free, so I don't believe they were (at least all) were caused by bezels.
  • Options
    michiganboymichiganboy Posts: 1,246 ✭✭
    Stealer is right I commonly see the circular impression on these coins.
    Positive BST transactions:michaeldixon,nibanny,
    type2,CCHunter.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Genuine.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Gold is a soft metal and those 'rims' may be caused by a former bezel/jewelry setting......No way to tell from the blurry pics 100% >>

No, the "rings" in question are due to die erosion (typical late die state for sunken-relief Indian Head gold).
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

No, the "rings" in question are due to die erosion (typical late die state for sunken-relief Indian Head gold). >>

Thanks for the explanation. I've always wondered about those rings image
  • Options
    When in doubt, don't. Gold rolling around outside plastic can be a risky proposition.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I agree with bird man image better to be safe then sorry. That said ...

I only have a VF35 to look at in hand, and I don't see the rings. Likely worn-off before I received the coin.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hard to tell based off those pictures, but I can say that the circular mark inside is very common on real coins. I would be more worried if the coin DIDN'T have that mark. There are a few places to look when checking for legitimacy, but they aren't see-able due to the blurry photos. >>

That circular mark inside the edge is die wear and indicates a late die state. That coin can't be authenticated from that pic but this series has been very heavily counterfeited and should only be bought in a top tier slab or from a trusted dealer unless you are an expert authenticator. That coin may very well be real but why take the chance?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>Genuine. >>

You can authenticate a gold coin with confidence from a blurry pic?

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The good counterfeits of these don't have issues like misspellings, words in the wrong place, or incorrectly shaped lettering. It's stuff like tool marks to smooth out a die flaw or a mushy transfer of a design detail somewhere that won't show up in your photo. The die wear ring indicates that that many coins were produced -- possibly far more than were ever produced with counterfeit dies of this date -- and this could be what leads TD to say it's good.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That coin can't be authenticated from that pic but this series has been very heavily counterfeited and should only be bought in a top tier slab or from a trusted dealer unless you are an expert authenticator. That coin may very well be real but why take the chance? >>

This. Even if it is real (and my non-expert gut feeling thinks it is), it's not worth taking the chance unless you had a rock-solid return policy you could trust. Even then there's a hassle factor to consider.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Genuine. >>

You can authenticate a gold coin with confidence from a blurry pic? >>

That one I can.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>The good counterfeits of these don't have issues like misspellings, words in the wrong place, or incorrectly shaped lettering. It's stuff like tool marks to smooth out a die flaw or a mushy transfer of a design detail somewhere that won't show up in your photo. The die wear ring indicates that that many coins were produced -- possibly far more than were ever produced with counterfeit dies of this date -- and this could be what leads TD to say it's good. >>

Counterfeit dies are usually made from a real coin and it the real coin has a flaw such as a bag mark or a die wear ring, those flaws will be transferred to the counterfeit copy die and then to the counterfeit coin produced from that die.

• Options

<< <i>

No, the "rings" in question are due to die erosion (typical late die state for sunken-relief Indian Head gold). >>

It is especially common on the D-mint coins, like this one.

I have a theory that when they changed to the new style coinage nobody bothered to tell the Denver Mint that they no longer needed to upset the rims of the planchets, and when the flat dies (not basined like the earlier dies) hit the planchets, those upset rims contacted the dies just inside the borders and caused that accelerated die erosion. Can't prove it, of course.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Counterfeit dies are usually made from a real coin and it the real coin has a flaw such as a bag mark or a die wear ring, those flaws will be transferred to the counterfeit copy die and then to the counterfeit coin produced from that die. >>

But a careful counterfeiter would be sure to start with a coin that had really good detail, thus giving a high quality copy die that would last for a while and not require much touch-up. The counterfeit $2.50 Indians are typically good enough to say that a careful counterfeiter that knew to start with a sharp original was involved.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    its hard to tell with the pics. no opinion
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    Thank you all for the replies.

This was from an unknown, private seller who had emailed me those pictures. I know this series is heavily counterfeited and some things stuck out to me as red flags so I passed. I told him I wasn't willing to make an offer as I am not sure it is genuine. I recommended they take it to a coin shop to see what they think. I was told "you don't know what your [sic] talking about". While that may be true (on this particular series), I'd rather take the prudent path and pass on pieces like this than risk getting burnt.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file