Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Sellers who sell raw and graded question

If you're looking to buy raw, would you buy from a seller that also sells a ton of graded cards?

Comments

• Options
    Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    No unless you are looking for NM cards.

Robert
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Is the plastic included in the overall weight?

PS: Love your teeth btw.

Good for you.
  • Options
    epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    It depends what their selling mix is...

For example,

If they are selling the same card raw and graded... absolutely not!

Are they selling modern raw and older stuff graded, or vice versa... yeah, perhaps!

Do they have the high dollar stuff graded, and a lot of the mid-to-lower teir stuff raw... absolutely!

I know for me, I bust & grade a lot of modern... but I'm not 4SC, PSA-Set-Guy, etc. I don't submit everything under the sun, especially every card of players that have registry sets (IE. Jeter, A-Rod, Chipper, Frank Thomas, Ripken, etc.). I do Pujols though, but it's no secret that 90% or more of them are for my personal collection first-and-foremost. I usually pull out the hot rookies or guys I collect and get that stuff graded. On ocassion, I might throw in some of the hotter cards to a sub if I think the return "might" be worth it. Otherwise, 90% of the stuff I rip never gets graded... and the good from that, always goes to eBay raw.

Really just comes down to watching what they usually sell, and how they sell it!

• Options
    If the seller had a good track record of buyers being happy with their recent raw card purchases, sure.

Note that it's not very often I will spend more than about 25 or 30 bucks on a raw card.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    I can answer this as I often sell both raw and graded cards when breaking a set. It is rare to pick up a set that is 100% graded, a lot of them are half graded or less. Most of the time I will break the set as is. It also depends on how nice the raw cards are: I have a set going right now with a few stars that have mint corners but the centering isn't good enough to consider grading them. One of the other things to consider is the turn around times getting cards graded over the last year. I have probably sold more raw cards that I would have usually submitted this year because I'm afraid of have a set sit for so long waiting to get cards graded.
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    Check out Waverly but not any raw or graded.
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    Why not buy from them? I'm sure everything is fine in most cases.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I've been known to sell both, as I'm sure most of us do. I provide large and clear scans of both sides, and describe any flaw in the card that's not obvious in the scans. I've never had a complaint. Believe it or not, not everyone collects graded cards. In fact, I think we're in the minority.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    there's a few dealers i'd consider for raw & graded, definitely apple383.

if i'm working on a raw set and the card fits the condition, i'm all over it.

buying graded cards is all about speculation and the potential for moderate or better growth, at least to me since i don't have any Registry sets.

now, as to the question of being able to secure a raw card with the intention of grading it for profit, the likelihood of finding that kind of card from an experienced dealer is pretty slim.

but......it does happen. image
  • Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    I buy a lot of raw commons from 4SC. I've received accurately graded NM and NM-MT cards from them. I'm sure there is no profit motive for 60s and 70s graded football commons unless they are low pop or come in as a 9 or 10. It's just not worth the time and expense to get them graded.
    Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options
    Is it improper to mention the CS4 and england conspiracy here ? (names masked to avoid damage). I sell both, at a small time level, and I know the folks looking at the auction know I sell both because it is a smaller niche with a known collecting community. I will always clearly state 'not for grading', or clearly document the flaws of the cards so the lookers know what they will get.

I don't support buying from big time dealers who sell massive graded cards, but also sell raw. It's kind of common sense not to buy from them raw if looking for actual high grade. If a trusted description is documented, then all should be fine correct ?
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    I think it would depend on what you are looking for. If you are wanting a nice clean card, that might have a minor flaw or two, then you shouldnt have any problem. If you are looking to buy raw and then get it graded to turn a profit, the answer is no, since you will never get a high grade card since more than likely, if it was high grade, it would have already been graded
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    it depends on the seller. i would never buy raw from england with any expectation of it being worth grading. set fill, sure. when they call a set or lot nm/mt it means that is the condition of the best card, not the average. i speak from expensive experience.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions