Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1971 Topps Baseball Set Purchase?

Would a 71 Topps set in EX-NM condition be worth buying for 1250$ to try and sub and make some profit? I can show some small pics later....

Comments

• 1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    I am thinking you would need to be at 1,000.00 or less.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • No! Run don't walk away and count yourself fortunate. Especially if it's on Ebay, you can take at least one grade off what at least 75-80% of the "sanke-oil" dealers are selling.
  • Yeah I am glad I asked. Its not on eBay, but I just don't really know much yet about raw pickups to buy w/o asking around. Here are some pics he has.....

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

• PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Centering looks to be off on almost all the cards you're showing but they look pretty clean. Just judging from small pictures though.
  • MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    looks like a set i looked over in westchester a few weeks ago. nice set and fair price, just shy of making sense to grade and bust.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • 1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a set I had a chance to buy in Middle TN.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • jrbolesjrboles Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Looks like I picked a bad week to quit sniffing glue.

I am sorry. This is totally out of line. But they took away the Dean Wormer thread. Seriously. Sorry.
  • LOL, no it's on my local craigslist and I havent had a chance to check them out in person. But from the sounds of it, I don't think it is really worth it image BTW... I don't quite get JR's post but I hope I didn't sound too foolish asking about this set image

EDIT to add the BTW comment.
    Not at all. There was a thread earlier this evening with some movie quotes. It was hysterical but got taken down. With the consecutive "Looks like...." comments, I could not resist throwing in something from "Airplane".

I stand at close to 500 graded 1971 Topps (Atletico Jones on the registry) and would have been tempted to make the same move. There was an earlier thread where one gent graded a purchased lot of 140 raw to great success. I covet such a purchase but do not think this one is it. Sorry to muddy the waters.
  • $1250 seems like roughly a fair price for what you'd be getting if you wanted it for your collection- but since you're looking to make a profit, I think you should probably pass.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • JR, I hate when I am late to the party thanks for the help image . Too bad I didn't see that thread or I would have probably chimed in with a few myself. Thanks guys.
  • Why did the Animal House thread get poofed?
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    I say buy and have some fun!
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'

<< <i>Why did the Animal House thread get poofed? >>

No idea, except they look to be policing a bit more. My OT post about my off center business cards didn't last a day. Probably for the best since I'm not that funny.

Getting a phone call from Dean Wormer is, hands down, post of the year IMHO.
  • psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    Reggie looks o.k. so I say GO!
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have a chance to look at it in person, it may be worth a look. With 1971 sets, a few cards can make the set if you get the right cards in high grade.
  • KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    Would a 71 Topps set in EX-NM condition be worth buying for 1250$ to try and sub and make some profit?

Only if you can write a bad check for the set, grading, and Ebay fees.