Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1964 canada one cent in change

yeah i got this 1964 canada penny in change today the third one this year i have found in change

IMHO the coin is VG

Coins for sale at link below
https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

Comments

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool, but....I hate to one up yaimage But the old lady
    brought home a 1952 bent (but its a King George)
    a 1959, 61, 63, (2) 64's (young Lizzys) and a 65
    crowned Lizzy, not bad for Southern Calif change

Congrats though

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    silverpop, where do you live? Around here Canadian cents, and Canadians, are everywhere.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    abilene tx, it's pretty rare to find any money from canada in change around here

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    It funny, but I still get some of my biggest collector rushes from getting something unusual in change, even if its a "lowly" Canadian cent. Even have a special place in my dresser for them. Guess I'm an uncurable collector.

Congrats, wish it'd been me!

BTW, I think its a bunch better than VG, but who cares, it only cost you a cent!

imageimageimage
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    I just returned from Canada and you won't easily find those early (pre 1965) Canadian cents in circulation there.
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    Hey, hey, hey Don.... be careful of the context. Some of us still don't know if we are Canadians or Yanks. After 16 years up here, I should feel more Canadian than I do (which is little) but I still get the warm fuzzies just crossing the Peace Bridge going South every month or so. The earlier copper cents are rapidly disappearing up here, as the mint has sucked them all back for their 2.2 cent value as scrap. Soon the penny will be gone altogether, but the Mint will continue to pour out its cornucopia of grandma bait.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No offense to the Canadians intended Bill. In fact, wer love the Canadians down here. The Canadian shoppers keep our economy afloat.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually I average about 10-12 of them per box of 2500 cents searched. I usually find 1 or 2 George VIs also - just yesterday I found a '47 maple leaf. I live fairly close to Canada and we usually see more varieties of Canadian change than American. Go to the nearby outlet mall and about 75% of the cars have Canadian plates - yes, they are good for our economy and my collecting. For some reason Canadians bring their older dollar, two dollar bills over here and spend them. Must be harder to get rid of them in Canada now or something. But they turn up in my bank and I buy them.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a Canadian dime out of the till at work- one of my coworkers had thrown it in that little compartment where the rejects and paperclips go. It was a 1965, and therefore... silver! Woohoo! Not bad for SE Georgia. I think a lot of Americans, even the ones who know our silver coinage ceased in 1964, do not realize that the Canadians continued theirs for a few years after that.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭
    That's how I got started. I used to fish those out of pocket change in Maine, where I grew up. Of course that was a few decades ago.
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know a few people hoarding Canadian cents now. We get tons of them up here in North Dakota in change, the Canadians come here to Fargo to go shopping(lots of it).
  • Options
    olmanjonolmanjon Posts: 1,187
    I have 625 assorted canadian cents if anyone wants them. Just pay the postage(from New York) plus $6.25.
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
    John:

You have a breakdown of dates among those 600+ cents? And do you have any other Canadian denominations hanging around? I'm always looking to plug a few Whitman folder holes!

- - Daveimage
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I know a few people hoarding Canadian cents now. We get tons of them up here in North Dakota in change, the Canadians come here to Fargo to go shopping(lots of it). >>

I get my boxes that I search from a Brinks facility that packages them up from deposits from Detroit Michigan banks - I get lots of Canadians - not that I mind, I have old Whitmans I have been filling, even some rare and scarce dates show up. Even locally we have a bit of older Canadian change circulating, it is possible to find GVI's in change occasionally - particularly at Tim Horton's.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
    Gotta love those "Tim-Bits"!!image

Not finding as many Canadian change around here as I used to (Philly), but I still hold onto them..........

- - Daveimage