Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Hammered French Coin Guide

Does anyone know if there is a guide specifically for French hammered gold coins in English ?

If there is no such guide for French coins is there a guide for world hammered gold coins ?

TIA

Comments

• Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    I don't believe there's a specific reference in English on French hammered gold. I might be wrong and would love to hear otherwise.

Friedberg is a general reference on all world coins but except very basic information it's not tremendously useful for any in-depth information.

Your best would probably be auction catalogs, especially for the older stuff. The De Wit collection sold at Kuenker in Germany a few years ago is a good start.

Dennis
  • Options
    Thanks Dennis, that's what I was afraid of.

The only catalogue I have is the Eliasberg World Gold one and it features beautiful examples of hammered coins ( including my own 1620-45 1 Florin d'or FR-164 NGC AU-55 ).

I'll have a look at the De Wit information.

Next time I'm in the Netherlands for a little while we should meet up.

I'm there at the end of October but am already fully committed to meeting others.
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks Dennis, that's what I was afraid of.

The only catalogue I have is the Eliasberg World Gold one and it features beautiful examples of hammered coins ( including my own 1620-45 1 Florin d'or FR-164 NGC AU-55 ).

I'll have a look at the De Wit information.

Next time I'm in the Netherlands for a little while we should meet up.

I'm there at the end of October but am already fully committed to meeting others. >>

The De Wit auction catalogs are absolutely fantastic, the greatest collection of medieval coinage ever assembled. I have to admit that I haven't been able to find the hard copies of the three sales yet but all catalogs are available on the website of Kunker.

I don't live in the Netherlands right now, moved to California about 20 months ago. I'm only sporadically there, as in once a year for Christmas.

Dennis