Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Just got off the phone with Demian Werner of GAI

Well I got his direct phone number and talked with him for about 20 minutes. He is going to make sure my pack gets graded and sent out right away. He went on to tell me that he does all the grading and he has not been around the last few months traveling. He admitted that the people he left in charge got overwhelmed and did not communicate with the customers. He said he was taking full responsibility for everything. He said he has sold the management of the company to two great guys (but he would still be part owner) and that transition will happen over the next few months. He sounded positive about the direction of the company. Not sure what happened over the last year and let's hope he can right the ship. I know a lot of people think PSA does alot better job grading packs but I think the hobby needs more than one reliable source. I will keep everyone updated on the progress of my pack grading experience.

Comments

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    I will tell you the direction of the company................Can someone show a picture of a toilet flushing???
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    i had taco salad last night, so no. image
  • Most of the true pack collectors already know that any pack graded in the last 3 to 5 years is at the very least suspect. No way to overcome that reputation using the same company name.
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

• << <i>I will tell you the direction of the company................Can someone show a picture of a toilet flushing??? >>

Got it!
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • DamageIncDamageInc Posts: 150 ✭✭
    Never trust anyone named "Demian" image
  • DamageIncDamageInc Posts: 150 ✭✭
    oops double post......
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    It looks like you can fool some of the people all of the time.
    Buckner and Griffins,
    Thanks for the pictures.
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>I know a lot of people think PSA does alot better job grading packs but I think the hobby needs more than one reliable source. >>

"Fair trade grading"? Or are you being some sort of venture capitalist?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • pclpadspclpads Posts: 457 ✭✭
    This company goes thru more changes than an Iraqi used car lot.image
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,423 ✭✭✭✭
    I wish PSA would slab rack packs

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • To the OP. Can you PM me Demian's phone #? I want to whisper softly in his ear.
  • What I meant was our Hobby has went through alot of tough times over the years and we don't need the bad press or bad business practices further hurting it.
    Then a good first start for that would be for them to cease operation.
  • I second that motion
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GAI reminds me of Kenny Lofton who played for 13 different teams in his career. Perhaps GAI can get to 14 owners to exceed the number of switches Lofton made. image
  • They should focus on racks and sealed boxes from cases.

• << <i>They should focus on racks and sealed boxes from cases. >>

Christmas racks? What is the conclusion on those ? Legit/packaged many years ago, or complete repackaged 2003 (or whenever) fraud ? GAI graded cases or boxes of Christmas racks sounds (fill in the blank). Heck I don't know if those xmas racks are legit.

• They will slab anything and everything sports related. Doesn't matter what the item is; they'll make or modify a holder for it.
    How are they still in business?

<< <i>They will slab anything and everything sports related. Doesn't matter what the item is; they'll make or modify a holder for it.
    How are they still in business? >>

This is true

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• I might be interested in that item
  • Holy Carp ! are you guys serious ? GAI actually graded and 'slabbed' a condom ? You have got to be kidding. I have been actually sitting here waiting to confirm what is real and what is not, watching the people on this board. You are kidding me. GAI is totally bunk ? PHUNCK ! Halper/the trimmed PSA 9 Wagner trimmed admittance/the recent lame grocery find etc. Can I at least buy a pack at Circle K that isn't false ? (not going to even get in to auto's-worse)

here you go, a PSA graded '71 Garvey, signed by Garvey on the outside of the slab, and then in turn slabbed by GAI.

• KurtisJosephKurtisJoseph Posts: 213 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well I got his direct phone number and talked with him for about 20 minutes. He is going to make sure my pack gets graded and sent out right away. He went on to tell me that he does all the grading and he has not been around the last few months traveling. He admitted that the people he left in charge got overwhelmed and did not communicate with the customers. He said he was taking full responsibility for everything. He said he has sold the management of the company to two great guys (but he would still be part owner) and that transition will happen over the next few months. He sounded positive about the direction of the company. Not sure what happened over the last year and let's hope he can right the ship. I know a lot of people think PSA does alot better job grading packs but I think the hobby needs more than one reliable source. I will keep everyone updated on the progress of my pack grading experience. >>

I appreciate the update. . .since I have dealt with GAI myself recently.

However, if in my job I left and traveled for a few months, ignored my customers, ignored the day-to-day, didn't keep in touch with the "overwhelmed people in charge", my boss would take a giant dump on me upon my return. It's inexcusable.

I just waited 6 months for seven little rack packs . . . and I paid for 20-day service. And last year I paid for 30 day service and waited several months as well. I'm not going to bother for the refund. I'm exhausted.

Totally agree with another person's opinion on this thread that a little competition is healthy. So, I do hope they turn it around.
  • cubfan89cubfan89 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    One of the condoms they slabbed was used. It was on display at the Sun Times show several months ago. Needless to say I didn't ask the dealer selling it to get a closer look at it or for a price. He also had a hair from someone in a GAI case for sale. What's next, used tampons?
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>One of the condoms they slabbed was used. It was on display at the Sun Times show several months ago. Needless to say I didn't ask the dealer selling it to get a closer look at it or for a price. He also had a hair from someone in a GAI case for sale. What's next, used tampons? >>

DO NOT give them any ideas.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • cubfan89cubfan89 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    It's funny cause the description on the slab said "open" instead of the unopened sealed one. I asked the dealer why would someone open it & stuff something back in it. He said the original owner must have opened it, used it and placed it back in afterwards. All I could think at the time was that it should have definitely been encased in a PSA/DNA slab!
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>One of the condoms they slabbed was used. It was on display at the Sun Times show several months ago. Needless to say I didn't ask the dealer selling it to get a closer look at it or for a price. He also had a hair from someone in a GAI case for sale. What's next, used tampons? >>

That last statement is great, funny as hell.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    That's why I just sent in another batch to cross over
    Do they offer a "BULK" rate on the very odd things they slab?image
  • PFBPFB Posts: 271 ✭✭
    Let's hope this is the case - especially for you. With $400 sitting at GAI. I am in the same boat, but no where near you!!! Thanks for keeping everyone informed.
    PFB
  • Got a call from Demian Werner this afternoon and he said that my pack should ship out Tuesday or Wednesday. My 86-87 Fleer Basketball Pack was graded a GAI 9.
  • PFBPFB Posts: 271 ✭✭
    What's the group consensus on GAI for rack packs - in or out? I sent a rack pack in back in June, and they finally graded it, and a shipping document has been graded. I have another rack I would like to have graded. Do we think they are back on track?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    PFB
    They should be back on track on Monday, February 29th.
  • Would love a reliable contact number for Demian to inquire about outstanding packs still waiting to be graded. I know, I know - what was I thinking??!?! (but I do love those GAI holders - no damage from gum movement in the older packs)
    Could you email me when you find time - I have an old cell phone number that is no longer working.....go figure.
  • Christmas Racks are the ultimate backroom reproduction that, unfortunately, pulled Mark Murphy (The Baseball Card Kid) in and convinced were the real deal! OUCH! (sure, there may have been a HUGE financial boost to Marks checking account along with that slap in the hobby's face) Anyway, the racks are NOT a Topps original nor are the backroom rack making scum using MINT cards. So, buyer beware - these are NOT a good investment unless you have no problem with owning a TOTALLY FAKE rack pack.
  • PM Sent
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The GAI packs will be done on Monday..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.