Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

How do you approach buying ungraded cards?

How many of you who purchase ungraded cards use a ruler or match another card from the same year over the card you wish to buy?

Thoughts?

Comments

• jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • 72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

Where did you find one of those?
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    Is that the one Allan Hager made and sold for $5.95? There were other versions as well.
  • YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭

<< <i>How many of you who purchase ungraded cards use a ruler or match another card from the same year over the card you wish to buy?

Thoughts? >>

In the 1980s I carried a camera case to card shows with cards in it to check size etc of other cards if needed. After a while you just learn what to look for. The case was very handy. It held my lists as well as cards I was buying and selling.
  • ken61ken61 Posts: 55 ✭✭
    I think the best way to tell if a card has been trimmed is to get a group of cards from the same year known to be good, and place the card amongst them. Then look at the edges with a loupe. If trimmed, the card will stick out like a sore thumb.

I first learned this from a poster named waittilltheytrytosell about ten years ago on these boards. Very sage advice.