Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA or BGS for Jeter/Griffey rookies?

Have a few and want to get graded for purpose of resale. Have several tuff ones including Topps inaugural Marlins, a few topps gold, and 93 UD w/gold hologram and also have 89 Fleer glossy Griffey. I know modern stuff sometimes sells better in BGS....opinions?

-Claude

Comments

• Options
    yanyak5yanyak5 Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭
    In my experience, griffey rookies seem to sell better in PSA holders, unless you get a pristine BGS grade. A lot of the newer stuff (2005 +) like bowman,bowman chrome etc sell better in BGS holders. With BGS it seems like you have to get a 9.5 or higher to make a nice profit.
    Looking for an 8x10 auto photo of junior celebrating his 100 HR. lmk!
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am having the same dilemma as you are. I usually send all my post 1980 material to Beckett and my pre 1981 to PSA. But, something changed January 2012. I am not sure what or why, but PSA cards seem to be selling at phenomenal paces. Take the 1993 sp jeter, at the beginning of 2012 a PSA 9 and A Beckett were pretty close in realizable $$$, maybe $50 diff. But now it's 2 to 1 or more in favor of PSA. Maybe they are buying back there own stock?? Maybe there has been an influx in grading/new collectors.

PSA right now is on fire. I just sent 200 items in all to PSA for this very reason.

Also, I have a 1983 Donruss Cal Ripken PSA 10 for sale and could have set the VCP record if I would have accepted the offer. And the offer was very good.image
    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OLB read this thread. Some of this should explain it.

BGS
  • Options
    Go with PSA for those cards unless you feel it has a chance for a BGS 10 grade. Otherwise, the way I look at it is simple. Anything with a certified autgorah goes to BGS for the card and auto grade service.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    I believe BCCG is hurting BGS. Encapsulating the BCCG in the same slabs is very deceiving.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    i vote PSA
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OLB read this thread. Some of this should explain it.

BGS >>

Dpeck,

BY the way I did sell the Payton and you were partly correct. i got $850, not $1,800.

OLB

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the nice sale.

I think many of the issues raised further in the thread are waying on BGS at this time.