Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Poll: real or fake?

OK, there has been much discussion of this coin lately, mostly here.

I have had it on eBay and it is doing well. But that doesn't mean anything. People on eBay will bid up anything, seemingly without a care.

I do not post a link to my live auction for spam purposes, but rather because a seldom-spoken member named "Crazy8s" recently responded to my original thread about it and called its authenticity into question. If it IS fake, I definitely want to know more about that before I sell it to someone!

It doesn't look right, but that's because it is polished. If you know of any OTHER reasons why it might look fake, I would like to hear them.

I have stated that it is "to the best of my knowledge" a genuine coin, albeit a heavily polished one, but "the best of my knowledge" doesn't go terribly far. I could spot the typical tourist fake straightaway, but in this era of more and more frightening Chinese counterfeits, who knows anymore?

I have very little invested in it so I don't stand to lose much money for purchasing a fake, if it IS a fake, but having to deal with an eBay return and/or PayPal refund is something I would like to avoid.

I am offering a 14 day return privilege on it so I guess I will need to hold somebody's money at least that long before spending it, but I would hate to have somebody find out the coin they bought from me is fake, even after the stated return period. I don't want anybody hating me over something like that.

On the other hand, I'm not prepared to pull down a successful auction and label the coin a fake simply because one person voiced a suspicion of it without any definitive explanation.

The coin weighs 29.34 g on my pocket digital scale. My less accurate postal scale says 26 g. I'm not sure how much I trust either one. Both were relatively inexpensive. What are the tolerances? I see no casting seams or anything- the edge looks OK to me. I can provide other scans of selected areas upon request, or just larger overall scans. Because the images were produced on a flatbed scanner, which doesn't do shiny coins so well, it actually looks a bit duller in the pictures. In hand, it is quite shiny. Too shiny, in fact. But that could just be polishing, as mentioned.

If it's a fake, it's a reasonably deceptive one and not some typical tourist knockoff.

I beg you to not go arbitrarily labeling it good or bad if you don't know for sure. That is why I have put two less definite options on the poll. I myself voted "I'm not 100% sure, but it looks okay to me., because that's where I stand until persuaded otherwise. To me it looks like a real enough coin that got heavily polished. But as mentioned, I'm not 100% sure and I'll be the first to admit that my experience is limited. I have never owned a Pillar dollar before. All of the 8-reales I've had were of the portrait type. I have owned some Pillar type coins before, but they've all been the smaller denominations, in lower grade.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PS- for better or worse, I might link up this poll to the auction later, if there is some intelligent discussion. That would only be fair to my bidders.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it looks okay. Does the tulip edge look well done? Why did it look questionable to Crazy8s?
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Its important to show us the edge , and also add a picture of the edge in your listing.

I voted I'm not 100% sure , but looks OK to me.
    I'm more concerned about the weak strike in some places , then the polishing job.

I have one for sale right now on eBay,
    and I get stupid questions , someone even claims the COA is no good.
    but I also get high offers and end the listing immediatly.

pillar dollar 1737
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    I have no idea. Is the repunched 8 a variety.image
  • Options
    BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    Not an expert on these - I would lean toward real (maybe 70% certain). Can you post the edge? It definitely is a cut above the 'run-of-the mill' fakes if it is a modern counterfeit.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks ok to me. Did you notice the two small chops on the reverse? One inside the crown and the other under "E" in "ET IND"
  • Options
    DeiGratiaDeiGratia Posts: 273 ✭✭✭
    I was going to vote real until you told me the weight.

The reason pillars were so popular as a trade dollar was because of the quality control.

Concerning weights: Gilboy states the 8 reales coin had a legal weight of 27.0642 grammes +/- 0.1996.

This is my only concern.
  • Options

<< <i>I was going to vote real until you told me the weight.

The reason pillars were so popular as a trade dollar was because of the quality control.

Concerning weights: Gilboy states the 8 reales coin had a legal weight of 27.0642 grammes +/- 0.1996.

This is my only concern. >>

I agree, that coin should weigh very close to 26.8 g. Rob, you need a better scale.
  • Options

<< <i>I think it looks okay. Does the tulip edge look well done? Why did it look questionable to Crazy8s? >>

There is the $165.00 question.

I'll try to find another scale to weigh it on, then, and add pictures of the edge as soon as I can. The "tulip" edge looks fine to me. I was fumbling for the correct term to call it.

• Options
    I also see somebody voted "definitely fake" but did not defend that reasoning here, which would tend to disqualify him (or her).

• Options
    Posted the images on Facebook and Sedwick said it looked ok to him with a usual caveat about authenticating pillars by using pictures.
  • Options
    Thanks very much, Roman.

While I might not link up this discussion to my auction, I'll perhaps extend the return period a little bit if the buyer wishes to send it off for slabbing or whatever.

Edit: I decided to link all this up anyway, AND offer to extend the return period if somebody wants to send the coin off for slabbing or whatever.

• Options
    Oh, yeah. Three people have voted "definitely fake", now, but not one of them has posted the smoking gun or explained WHY they "know" this so definitively. I am therefore inclined to disqualify their opinions, though I'm all ears if any of them wishes to speak up.

Sorry I haven't found another scale to weigh it on yet. We can pretty much disregard the 26g I got off my postal scale. It is not accurate to fractions of a gram and "not legal for trade". The 29.34 g on my Neva pocket digital scale, which is supposedly accurate to 1/100 of a gram, is a bit more of a concern, since it would seem to be overweight. I wouldn't take that as definitive proof of falsity, though, because as I've said before, I don't know how much I trust that scale. It was relatively cheap, as I recall. It has served my purposes for my ancient coin collection but I don't know how accurate it is.

• Options
    The scale might be accurate, but not calibrated. I know my digital scale requires re-calibration every few months.
  • Options
    I didn't vote in the poll Rob , but the "flat" area would bother me. I've seen something very similar on modern chinese fakes and it's the result of the word copy being removed.I'm no expert in these but that one area stood out as something ive seen before.
  • Options
    I have added a caveat to the auction, and a link back to this thread. Do look it over and see if you think it is fair notice enough. I see Larry is on top in the bidding, now, so I will PM him and give him a heads-up. I would hope that with this notice and my return privilege, I'm covered as far as the ethics go.

Does eBay send notice to bidders in an auction if the item description has been added to?

• Options
    As far as i know ebay do not update bidders on an auction description changing Rob , it's up to the bidders to notice it. I'll put a picture up later of a coin with a very similar flat area , almost identical in look albeit a different type coin.
  • Options
    Hopefully it's visable here , an almost identical flat area although with this one it's in an empty field so it doesnt disturb details or draw the eye immediately but it's there alright.I do know as fact it's a modern chinese fake with copy removed.This is not in any way to say that yours is too , merely that i seemed to have seen that flat area before.

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    I looked and voted "not sure, but I think it's fine" before morning coffee.

Now that JamesM has pointed out those flat areas, that is all I can stare at. It is present on both sides of the coin in the same spot/shape. Not sure what to make of it, but it does raise some suspicions, IMO.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    I should have mentioned also that the weight of the US nickel is spot on what it should be,i'm not sure about composition but i've left one outdoors in all weathers to see what happens , if it rusts that's fine , if it doesn't it points to the composition being correct i would think , or good enough to fool some.This is one of the poorer ones i've seen , others i've seen have never had copy where it should be and it's those i suspect that could pass muster.
  • Options
    DeiGratiaDeiGratia Posts: 273 ✭✭✭
    It's not that hard to see if the digital scale is off.

Just start weighing stuff.

Morgan Dollar - 26.73 Grams
    2012 Quarter - 5.67 Grams
    Kennedy Half Dollar - 12.50 Grams
    2012 Nickle - 5.00 Grams
    2012 Dime - 2.26 Grams

• Options

<< <i>2012 Dime - 2.26 Grams >>

A 2011 dime from my pocket just weighed in at 2.42 g.

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I only have the following comments, slightly OT perhaps, because I am by no means knowledgeable about 8 Reales (other than the trade/colonialization history we all learned in grade school):

1) You should definitely hold onto the eBay winner's money in case of return. I sold a Chinese pattern, to a Chinaman! and he returned it a month later claiming counterfeit. I gladly refunded him but also was glad I had the money to do so.

2) If the coin is discovered to be fake, my offer to buy at $30 still stands even though I already own an 8 Reales fake image

3) I will locate my fake and if it looks eerily similar to yours, believe me, I'll upload photos ASAP
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    I didn't vote yet, but it looks OK to me. Areas of flat strike will happen on these. However, if the weight is truly well over 27 grammes, it is certainly bad.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    Hopefully Loch Ness might post a pic of his fake , i'm surprised at comments here and on other threads of the type"if that's fake its scary good" as if we don't as a group know better or are that naive.
  • Options
    Crazy8sCrazy8s Posts: 70 ✭✭✭
    Since it appears my earlier comments are what set off this thread, let me elaborate on my view of this coin.
    First the usual disclaimers, I am not a dealer, nor do I profess to be the "end all authority" on these coins. I am just a collector and have collected Spanish Colonial 8 Reales for over 35 years and in that time period I have seen and handled over 1000 pillar dollars and have over 100 in my personal collection. In that time I have developed what can only be described as a "gut reaction' to certain pillars that have what I can only describe as a 'Squatty" look. The proportion of the overall design is wrong in my eyes, not any individual feature but the overall look. The pillars are too thick in proportion to the globes and crown. I have seen this look on many coins, I have bought several and determined them to be fakes and returned them to the sellers within the return period. All of the Mo pillars from the mid to late 1760's are beautiful coins, sharply struck and made from "king Punches" so while the actual positioning of the letters and such may vary, they should all retain the same proportion. In my humble opinion, your coin does not have that same look. I haven't yet mastered the art of posting photos on this site so I will email directly to the original poster some scans of pillars I own that I believe to be real and let him "see" if he "sees" the same thing I do. It could be the photograph he posted, it could be that I am getting older and my eyesite is not what it used to be. The counterfeit pillars coming out of China right now scare me, they are so well done and they are causing havoc in the market. Because of that, it is hard to determine if the coin is real from a photo, we need to rely on you the owner to check certain features.
    Check the coin carefully, weight should be dead on for that coin, virtually no wear in the sense of lost metal. Check the tulip design on the edge, the tulips should be consistent in shape and size, the tulips should all face the same direction and you may or may not be able to see the joint where the two bar dies overlap. Mexico City from 1762-1768 had extremely consistent plancet size at 38.5mm, measure the coin. If any of these features is out of whack, it adds to the red flag I see when viewing the coin, if they all look good, and you do not see the "proportion issue" as I do then your coin is probably real.
  • Options
    Crazy8s- thank you for the informative and educated response.

The coin just sold this afternoon, for $301.00, to a bidder in Hong Kong. He has paid me.

He bid after I added the caveat to my item description, and linked up this thread. Should I email him and confirm that he has read all of this thread, or just keep my mouth shut and cross my fingers until after the return period is up?

I feel like I have done enough due diligence on the ethical front, as a seller, but if anyone disagrees, I am open for suggestions.

• Options
    Crazy8sCrazy8s Posts: 70 ✭✭✭
    I think you have done an excellent job of presenting the facts and pointing out all the possible outcomes. I assume the buyer, willing to shell out that kind of money on that coin, has done his research. If he requests a refund, I do not doubt that you will give him one. You have acted in a most forthright manner and are to be commended for how you have handled this. DId you receive the email I sent you with the scans of other pillars?
  • Options
    Haven't checked email for about a week to ten days or so. image

But I will. Thanks again.

Guess I'll cross my fingers, take a deep breath, and ship this thing off to the Kowloon Central Post Office, then.

It being an international transaction, I'm all the more nervous. But I've done business with bidders and sellers in Hong Kong before.

PS- looking at this buyer's feedback and recent transactions, it would seem we're dealing with a serious numismatist, here. He's bought other 8-reales pieces, and several ancients. (Ever try and read someone's personality by his eBay purchases? I think I like this guy.) There's no track record as a seller, so apparently we have a hardcore collector here, or a seller using a different account for buying, since there is a pretty high volume of purchases. I find myself slightly reassured.

Added him some freebie gifts- a few early Chinese cash coins and some fossil shark teeth, since I have literally pounds of those lying around.

I am thrilled at the price this $15 purchase of mine fetched, but I'm postponing the party until the buyer has gotten the coin and left positive feedback.

• Options
    Coin apparently made it safely to Hong Kong.

Positive feedback received! *whew*

• Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Everybody happy , congrats Rob image
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Coin apparently made it safely to Hong Kong.

image >>

Hong Kong? Probably will be used to make dies from to produce fakes. Check ebay for a flood of these in about 2 months image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Coin apparently made it safely to Hong Kong.

image >>

Hong Kong? Probably will be used to make dies from to produce fakes. Check ebay for a flood of these in about 2 months image >>

Oh, believe me, the irony of that situation was not lost on me. image

Judging from past purchases, though, this buyer seems to be a serious numismatist.