Home Precious Metals
Options

Low serial number on Englehard bar

I picked up this 10oz bar at the coin show this past weekend. I noticed it had a serial number of W000046.

Does having this low serial number add value to the bar? Any info on the bar would be appreciated.

I found on the net that this is the W series bar and is older and rarer than the P series bars. Only 20k bars minted in the W series.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    The 10oz Engelhard usually don't have all that much of a premium. But I'd expect a serial # that low to get some solid bids on Ebay. Maybe in the $450-$500 range.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a later poured bar that is a mite bit more desireable with the "W" prefix. I picked up a "W" series bar for $1 over spot in early July.

The low serial number on this bar might get it up to $380 to $400 on ebay. List it and you will find out.
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    A quick completed auction/BIN search shows pretty run of the mill 10 oz poured engelhards going for $370-390, mostly as BINs. A few outliers at $335 (auction) and $420 (bullhorns 10oz auction). With the right keywords/marketing I think $500 isn't an unrealistic target for the low serial # bar.

edit link and spelling
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Now that's sweet. Having something with just a little edge is fantastic.

This is one of those things where you utilize best timing to get the most money for it, then use the money to buy more base silver.
    Hard to part with a nice poured bar though.
    COA
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    I picked up this 10oz bar at the coin show this past weekend. I noticed it had a serial number of W000046

How bout a picture?

I found on the net that this is the W series bar and is older and rarer than the P series bars. Only 20k bars minted in the W series

How bout a link to substantiate it all?

I know that might be alot to ask being it's your first post and all coming on here saying all this. Tough love is all you'll get here so get use to it. image
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the info. I initially did try to upload a pic but I had trouble trying to figure it out.

I tried Attachments and then upload the pic. Its in my file list now and its 37kb. Still doesnt show. Any tips for a newbie on getting this to work?
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does not do anything for me, but you never know what would happen at an auction.

To me an interesting serial number would be a single digit, since there are only nine of those vs. 90 double digits.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    The "W" prefix bars may not be older but are scarcer than the "P" prefix bars.

Both types are later and don't get bar collectors too excited. I would stretch for an early Engelhard with a typical serial number over a low serial "W" bar.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. Are there any good books or websites for bar collectors? I might want to get into collecting the older bars.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It does not do anything for me, but you never know what would happen at an auction.

To me an interesting serial number would be a single digit, since there are only nine of those vs. 90 double digits. >>

Agree. An auction venue such as eBay is the best place to sell it because most people looking for a silver bar would not be willing to pay any premium for a two digit serial number.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    About.Ag site has some great info & is a very good site,
    but remember it is all estimations, guesses, speculation of mintages...
    it is a work in progress, howbeit a very good one that he started...
    keceph `anah
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for the info. Are there any good books or websites for bar collectors? I might want to get into collecting the older bars. >>

I agree with rawteam1. About.Ag is about the best resource but new types are found all the time.

I know of no good written resources for Engelhard and JM. Finding and posting new types of bars builds our scanty knowledge base.