Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Conder New purchase

I don't know alot about these but I'm getting addicted to 200 year old copper
the 1794 I swear is a proof

If you can't swim you better stay in the boat.......

Comments

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    Neato. I don't know much at all about these, but that 1794 does look like a proof from here.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    Nice , i too have both of these versions.Can i ask , on the "proof" one , what is that running from the 2nd c in concordia down to the s in fidelitas?
  • Options
    jfoot13jfoot13 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭
    just the way the light is reflecting on the surface, I'm not very good with a camera image
    If you can't swim you better stay in the boat.......
  • Options

<< <i>just the way the light is reflecting on the surface, I'm not very good with a camera image >>

Cool image It's one of the nicer ones ive seen. I stuck with strictly Scottish conders as there were far fewer made for obvious reasons so it seemed to stand to reason they are more scarce , more challanging and often tell a story familiar to me , like the clach na cudden stone there. Its only when the collector gets down to the smaller Scottish towns things get tricky , Edinburgh , Glasgow , Dundee and Perth , Inverness are all easier in the halfpenny conders , towns like BurntIsland and Ayr etc seem almost to not exist outside of long held collections.They do come up occasionally though , i've began collecting the conder farthings now which again are difficult to find but very satisfying when obtained.Ive yet to see a conder penny from Scotland , but they do exist.
    Congratulations on those two , by no means the easiest ones to snag , i think Edinburgh and Glasgow take that title.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    If these are copper, esp that 1794, then they're the most beautiful gorgeous 200-year old coppers I have ever seen anywhere ... So, why aren't they brown or copper-colored?

That line looks pretty straight to be an artifact of lighting but whatever I would still love to be able to drool over that old proof strike before going to bed each night image

Good solid newps! image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    They are brown , the darkness or shade of which can vary through time.I suspect the toned one has been kept in a velvet lined cabinet for a length of time , a commen practice in the UK and perhaps that's how it aquired its colours.I believe they are closer to bronze than copper.
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Thought I would weigh in on these tokens. The 1793 is catalogued by Dalton and Hamer as an Invernesshire #1 and the 1794 is an Invernesshire #2. There are 4 edge varieties for #1 and 2 edges for #2.

Both were manufactured by Matthew Boulton using Watt's steam press with dies that were engraved by Conrad Heinrich Kuchler.

Yes, Boulton did manufacture proofs, traditionally Boulton's proofs were bronzed which would account for the deep color on the 1794. I have a #2a which I believe is also a proof, however it should be noted that the quality of the tokens produced by Boulton was superior to anything else available.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the floral design, and I agree that the 1794 looks like a proof.

I WANT IT!!! image

If you ever tire of it, lemme know. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.