Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

On The Fence: Maris 61 PSA 8 or Maris 62 PSA 7 (Updated with Photo of my new purchase))

Im pretty close to finally getting my White Whale - a Roger Maris 1961 PSA 8

However, Ive also been eyeing the 62 in PSA 7. Aside from anything going on on eBay, which one would you guys get?

SMR list the 61 at $515 and the 62 at $350 (although it sells in the mid 400's)

Comments

• Options
    I love 'em both, you really can't go wrong either way. The '62 is nice because in addition to the "61" on the back, the card is very condition sensitive due to the woodgrain borders & the fact that it is the first card in the set. The '61 is super sweet because this is the card kids were pulling out of packs all over the country during that magical summer of 1961. For me, the major pet peeve of both cards is snow. Whichever one you're looking at that has no (or very little) snow - that would be the card I choose. Good luck!!
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    1961 in PSA 8 VCP is $458 and if you are patient there been sales as low as $347

1962 in PSA 7 VCP is $362 again with patience there have been 4 sold below $300
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    The 61 without hesitation.
  • Options
    MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    If you have the chance to pull the trigger on both and can choose only one, go with whichever one is highest end for its grade and you won't go wrong-- centering to me is the biggest factor outside glaring issues like PD.
  • Options
    Well the 62 in an 8 goes for I imagine over $2000 so that w=one is defintely not in my range. Ive always wanted the 61 for the same exact reason MantleMarisFordBerra mentioned. Its a really magical card imo. The 62 looks really sweet seeing 61 HR on the back. I think I may go for the 61 but wanted to see what the mass thinks on here.

Jimrad, thanks for posting the VCP prices. It feels like only 2-3 1961 PSA 8's show up a month if that. The lowest Ebay sold one as of recent I was one I think in July for $408. Seems everyone is asking $500 + BUY IT NOW. Decisions, decisions...
  • Options
    vettfanaticvettfanatic Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    Buy the 62. Always loved that card.
  • Options
    thats a tough choice.

remember that the '62 is the first card in the set (hello rubberbands!)
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1961!!
    Love that card
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The 61 without hesitation. >>

+1
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Both are great cards but I'd go with

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    I'd go with '62 because it has the stats and is #1 in the set for a reason. Better looking card IMO too. I used to own it in PSA 5.
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    Both are great cards, but if I were in your shoes I'd go for the card that has the better centering (I am kinda picky that way). I'd rather
    have the eye appear of the 1962 Maris centered than a "cleaner" 1961 Maris that is off center.

In my personal experience, I ended up getting the 1962 Maris first (PSA 8 instead of 7). Still waiting for a nice 1961 PSA 8 or
    PSA 9 to come available.

Dave
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
    '62 all the way!

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Id go with the 1953 Fargo-Moorhead Twins card of Roger Maras

its 8-9 years older, 5,000+X scarcer image , and way cooler with his real last name... plus there are 2 different cards (poses), batting and fielding

ie
  • Options
    If this were my decision, I would go with the '62- because that is the set design that is not boring.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    Thanks for all the feedback. Interesting to hear everyone's reason on why they would choose one over the other.

Well I went ahead and pulled the trigger but on neither actually. I instead purchased his 1958 Rookie PSA 7. Nicely centered for the most part and I found it to have eye appeal. Ill post a scan here once I have it in my hands. Being shipped out tomorrow. Looking forward to it.
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Can't go wrong with a rookie card!
  • Options
    cant wait to see it!

centering and snow are major issues for this card
  • Options
    FrancartFrancart Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
    Great choice!! I personally like it the best out of all 3.
  • Options
    So the mailman dropped this off today. It was actually much nicer that I expected in hand (compared to the other 7's I was checking out before purchasing this one)

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Sweet!
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Thats not a 1961 or a 1962.
    But great card!!
    Didnt know it was a trick question or I would have said 1958.
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best thing to do when trying to decide between 2 items is to buy something totally different! imageimage
  • Options
    Handyman, I wasn't expecting on getting the 58 either. It just happened. I had the funds ready in my paypal - There were no 61's available so I jumped at the opportunity of just getting his Rookie instead. It was so last minute to and truly unexpected. Now I love it. The 61 is still my white whale however.
  • Options
    What a great card!! For a card that is so notoriously off-centered and with weak registration, this one has neither!
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice card. Good 7.
  • Options
    that's a fantastic pickup!
  • Options
    Very nice 7
  • Options
    Nice pick up on the '58! I collected the '62Ts as a kid and completed it in PSA 7 or better, so I'm partial to that card.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That card looks like a great candidate for review to a PSA 8. High end!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>Sweet! >>

Sometimes the ladies say it best.
  • Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭

<< <i>That card looks like a great candidate for review to a PSA 8. High end! >>

That's exactly what I thought when I first saw the card, it's undergraded and should be reviewed. And if you do get it reviewed, please be sure to share the results with us.

What a stunning card, congrats!!
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Options
    Now that 2 people have mentioned it, maybe I just might send it in for a review. It really does look good and this is much nicer than any of the other 7's currently up. This could land between a 7.5 and an 8. 8 of course would turn this from a $400 card into an $800 so it couldn't hurt to try - whats the worst they can say. no? lol

If I do this, Ill wait a little bit. I just got this card and want to "enjoy" it in my collection before sending it off. I will make a thread when I ship this off along with an update with the results. Thanks for positive comments everyone.

Marc
  • Options
    I'm also in the re-sub camp, that card is a BEAUTY!! Very nice pick-up Foo............
    Currently collecting PSA graded:

1991 & 1992 Fleer Pro Visions
    1952 Topps
  • Options

<< <i>That card looks like a great candidate for review to a PSA 8. High end! >>

+1
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Sweet! >>

Sometimes the ladies say it best. >>

SWEET!!!!!
  • Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    Really nice, Marc. Beautiful centering and nice color. I've always liked that card.
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options
    I belong in the camp that reviews are a waste of money, and the only way that card would get a fair shake is to crack it out. And cracking the card out would be a big gamble.
  • Options
    Ive cracked out multiple times but with something of a $400 value, the slightest mistake could set me back down $150 so I wouldn't take that risk in this case but to just send the card as is and hopefully get a better second opinion.
  • Options
    Very nice card. But I think the top left chiped corner will keep it out of a 8. But a 7.5 could be possible on a review. I would send it for a review and not crack this one.