Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

One Costly Dime 4 me update

Hello I just bought a 1955 Proof dime in PCGS PR68DCAM for $1223.00 This one will go in my #1 Proof Dime set. All the other coins in the set cost me less than $300.00 each. This is the most I have personnaly paid for any coin Thanx for looking Hoyt 55 dime

Well I got the coin Today and It has all the marks as they show in the scan from the ear down. The reverse is has very weak Cameo. I am not a coin grader but this will be the first coin I send back to PCGS for a regrade. I just do not see DCAM belonging on this coin and find PR68 being very hard to believe. I hope PCGS steps up to the plate on this one. As the coin that was to be the highlight of my set I am very disappointed in this Dime image

Comments

• Options
    littlewicherlittlewicher Posts: 1,822 ✭✭
    Are those scratches on the front on the coin? OH wait, they couldn't be, otherwise it would be graded lower then 68.image I'm surprised PCGS gave it DCAM, although they tend to be more leanient on earlier proofs. The frosting on the torch and olive branch are quite weak. It's still a very nice coin.image

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
    -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.
  • Options
    I will be looking at this coin very closely when I get it. It looks like this same coin sold on 2/25/02. That would be my luck to buy a dog. If it is I am sure PCGS will fix the problem. Although I do not put much faith in scans as I never seem to able to get Proofs to scan right. Hoyt
  • Options
    Brian,

PCGS is actually harder on pre-1970 proof coins. I have sent several pieces in trying to get a CAM designatino that have more cameo than many of today's proof coins to no avail.

Hoyt,

Looking at the piece, my only fear is that the die polishing mentioned in the description is pretty heavy and those marks around the neck are polishing and not just holder concerns.

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Die polishing. Somewhat common on these early 50 proofs (especially Franklins). I imagine the Cameo contrast on the reverse is stronger than the photo too.

peacockcoins

• Options
    TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    Hoyt:

Looks like a nice piece. Teletrade sometimes doesn't do a very good job photographing DCAM proofs. Look at it real good when you get it. If you don't like it, remember that Teletrade does have a return policy. They still charge the buyer's fee but you get most back. Congrats on the purchase.

Greg S.
  • Options
    Please tell me those scratches are on the plastic. I don't want to believe that a coin that looks like that can get a 68. As far as the DCAM. Unless the angle is bad, the torch looks brilliant. I've had coins like that come back CAM.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭

<< <i>has a trace of light die polishing on the portrait >>

Who is Teletrash trying to fool? Even though die polish doesn't hurt the grade it sure hurts the eye appeal. If those polish marks were "slide" marks caused by contact with album windows it would grade no higher than 63. It looks damaged.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    This is what looks like same coin sold 2/25/02 On Teletrade 55 dime 2/25/02 Well if the coin is damaged maybe I can get Mitch to submit it for me to PCGS he seems to have good luck on those. image I will get the coin regraded at PCGS if it does look overgraded as this is a Pop 5 coin and may be the second time sold on Teletrade. If it does downgrade should push the price up another notch on the remaining four. Hoyt
  • Options
    Bottom line is most of teletrades scan suck, wait to see the coin in person its rare to have die polishing in that area on that year....
  • Options
    HI.....TRY HAVING SAFARI CLUB SCORE IT, THEY USE LESS DEDUCTIONS THAN BOONE AND CROCKETT.
    NICKEL TRIUMPH...
  • Options
    ttt Read first post updated
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    Hoyt.....that does look like the exact same coin as on the second link you provided us with.
  • Options
    supercoinsupercoin Posts: 2,323
    Hoyt, I hate to say it, but if you're not very sure that it is overgraded, I would just take your lumps and send it back to Teletrade. The $80 return fee (or whatever) might be looking pretty cheap a few weeks from now after your return policy is long gone.

If it is clearly overgraded, PCGS is good about standing behind their coins. But you will not see any money for at least a month.

And, more importantly, you will not get a full refund -- you will get the coin back in a lower grade holder, with the difference in value between grades refunded.

So if you really don't like the coin, you will then be stuck reselling an unattractive coin in a lower grade holder to recoup the rest of your money. That could easily result in an $80 loss.

My recommendation is ship it back to Teletrade on Monday and move on. Slightly poorer and wiser, but much less aggravated. image
  • Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    TeleTrash sucks. They basically auction off the junk that can't be sold face-to-face. You get what you pay for. Sure you'll occasionally get a good coin from TT, but someone also wins the lottery. Want to bet on it being you?

has a trace of light die polishing on the portrait, deep cameo contrast

Sounds like typical TeleTrash BS. LIGHT die polishing? Looks like it was polished with a brillo pad. Deep contrast? Looks so-so with some incomplete cameo areas on the reverse.

Someone else obviously thought the coin sucked and returned it. Considering the high cost of returning a coin to TeleTrash, you know they hated the coin.

Cut your losses. Return the coin to TT and cancel your membership with them. It'll save you a lot of heartache.