Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Detailed Info on Rack Pack Headers

I'm trying to get my mind around exactly which different rack pack header cards exist for the period 1968-1980, and which releases they were used for.
I'm going to post below the headers I know about. I'm only distinguishing based on the appearance of the header, I would like to know if there are different
product codes for headers that look the same. Experts, please chime in with info on which sets these were used for. I'm also interested in which years exist
for basketball and hockey racks.

Header 1: Used for all rack packs from 1968 and 1969?

Header 2: Used for all rack packs from 1970-1973?

Header 3: Used only for 1974 baseball?

Header 4: Used only for 1974 football?

Header 5: Used for all 1975 racks, and 1976 baseball (with different -6 product code)?

Header 6: Used only for 1976 football?

Header 7: Used for 1977 baseball?

Header 8: Used for 1977 football, all 1978 racks and 1979 baseball?

Header 9: Used for 1979 football and 1980 baseball?

Comments

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone actually collect these header cards? I think they're really cool.
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Can't help with your questions but i think they're cool too and that's certainly all I'd be left with as there's no way in hell the packs wouldn't be ripped image
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    By the way, is 1971 baseball the only rack pack that sometimes has the header card replaced by a normal card from the set, or are there others?
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I'm still skeptical over those '71 with card headers.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• << <i>I'm still skeptical over those '71 with card headers. >>

Please elaborate. I was under the impression that they were 100% legit.
  • jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm still skeptical over those '71 with card headers. >>

I can vouch for them, at least a first series one. I opened one about 10 years ago and 2 of the 3 sections ran in sequence 18 deep, just like the rak gem mint opened a couple of months ago.

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Late to the party. What about rack packs with no headers, just clear plastic? The cards seem correlated correctly and hanky panky with the racks themselves. How common is this?
    thanks

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paging Dave and Tim - call on line 2. 😉 If anyone would know the answer it would be them.

KC

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gomezadams2 said:
    Late to the party. What about rack packs with no headers, just clear plastic? The cards seem correlated correctly and hanky panky with the racks themselves. How common is this?
    thanks

Those are factory miswraps and aren't common but I've seen them for early 80s racks, 1980 and 1982 baseball, specifically.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gomezadams2 said:
    The cards seem correlated correctly and hanky panky with the racks themselves.

George Orwell would have a field day with this.

Andy

• 70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭

@jmoran19 said:
    << <i>I'm still skeptical over those '71 with card headers. >>

I can vouch for them, at least a first series one. I opened one about 10 years ago and 2 of the 3 sections ran in sequence 18 deep, just like the rak gem mint opened a couple of months ago.

Some of them are good, but definitely not all of them. I have opened both a series 1 and a series 5 with very nice results. I've also seen bad series 1s and series 3s and 4s.

Also, a bit more info (I'm remote this week so I cannot post all the pictures I have).

1970-1973 Yellow Header (baseball) - You need to post both sides of this one, as there was a blank back used in 1971, as well as the 2-sided print versions. Before the middle of 1971 all of the header cards had a die-cut circle punched out of them and the cellophane over that area had a circular hole which it where the pack would hang from the rack. In mid-1971 they did away with the die-cut/cello hole approach and started using a "cross-punch" that looked like a "plus sign. Even the player-header card racks used the same kind of hanging system. If you see a 1971 rack (any header) from the first three series with a cross-punch hanger you should probably head the other way.

1968 and 1969 (baseball) - These packs used two-sided red header cards with white lettering and contained 3 "cells" of 12 cards each for $0.29.

Hope this helps

Dave
  • @grote15 said:

@gomezadams2 said:
    Late to the party. What about rack packs with no headers, just clear plastic? The cards seem correlated correctly and hanky panky with the racks themselves. How common is this?
    thanks

Those are factory miswraps and aren't common but I've seen them for early 80s racks, 1980 and 1982 baseball, specifically.

Thanks for the response.

• @ahopkins said:

@gomezadams2 said:
    The cards seem correlated correctly and hanky panky with the racks themselves.

George Orwell would have a field day with this.

Ooooppps. I meant NO hanky panky. :#