Home Sports Talk
Options

Collge Football 2012 - SEC or the field?

So which would you take, SEC or the field? That is for national championship or the Heisman for that matter? I am going with the field on both. I think it will be a "down" year in the SEC. You know, only 3 teams in the final top 10! LOL.

Comments

• Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    For Heisman, who knows? But for the title, I am going with the SEC.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    The field.
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    I'll take the field.

Saw a discussion the other day on this exact topic (can't remember which show), but the "expert" thought the SEC teams were once again some of the best in the nation, but that they would beat each other up during the year and that none of them would finish undefeated due to the high level of competition--leaving the door open for 2 teams like Nebraska, USC, or even FSU to be the top 2 BCS teams playing for the championship.

Will be interesting to see what happens. Got my tickets today for this Saturday's game in my town--love college football!
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

<< <i>love college football! >>

+1

I truly enjoy the pageantry of it all. The enthusiasm of the student section, the excitement in the older sections, the tailgating, the hustle of players who (mostly) will never play professionally. I much prefer it to the pro game.
  • Options
    I would take SEC. Too much speed. I can't see Lane Kiffin ever winning a national championship. Imagine USC playing Bama in the title game. Nick Saban would
    take the boy to school, even though USC has talent. But some say Oregon will beat USC this year. I don't see any teams in the nation that can match SEC speed, especially
    when it comes to the top two sec schools.
  • Options
    SEC
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options

<< <i>I would take SEC. Too much speed. I can't see Lane Kiffin ever winning a national championship. Imagine USC playing Bama in the title game. Nick Saban would
    take the boy to school, even though USC has talent. But some say Oregon will beat USC this year. I don't see any teams in the nation that can match SEC speed, especially
    when it comes to the top two sec schools. >>

I disagree about U$C and I am no fan of theirs. The way Kiffin has kept them relevant and at the top of the polls following the probation is pretty amazing to me. I would be shocked if they don't have at least one national championship in the next 3-4 years.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    tough call- Michigan -Alabama will help sort things out

Not sure UM can win, but it should be an entertaining game

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Not going to get involved with the SEC vs everyone argument right now, but I just have to say I'm so happy the season is finally here! Baseball Opening Day and college football opening day are days I look forward to Every year!

Now excuse me, I have some tailgating to go do...image

Enjoy, folks.
  • Options

<< <i>

it should be an entertaining game >>

If you're a Bama fan

• Options
    Maybe the question should just be Alabama v the field

That did not take long

• Options
    Its been years since michigan had a good defense. Ohio state will crush them.
  • Options
    Oregon put 50 points up against their opponent less than half way into the second period. I realize their opponent was inferior but still they apparently have some fire power. It was 50 to 3 less than 6 minutes into the second quarter when I first saw the score.

'Bama obviously looked good.

$C looked good too.

I think the Pac 12 has a couple teams who could beat an SEC team. I hope one of them makes it to the championship game.
  • Options
    I think the Pac 12 has a couple teams who could beat an SEC team.

I agree. I think USC or Oregon would definitely have a fair shot at defeating Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Auburn, Mississippi State, and maybe a couple of others. I think LSU, Alabama, Arkansas, and a healthy South Carolina win against either of those teams.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options

<< <i>I think the Pac 12 has a couple teams who could beat an SEC team.

I agree. I think USC or Oregon would definitely have a fair shot at defeating Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Auburn, Mississippi State, and maybe a couple of others. I think LSU, Alabama, Arkansas, and a healthy South Carolina win against either of those teams. >>

Ha, ha. I am not saying it's a give-me for $C or Oregon but I think it would be a top SEC team favored by 2 or 3 game and either team could win.
  • Options
    I am a big UCLA fan so anxious to see if UCLA can keep the game close tomorrow against Nebraska. I remember going to a game back in '85 or so, at the Rose Bowl, and we left at halftime as it was an f'ing blowout. The Rose Bowl had more people wearing red than blue that day. I remember going through the parking lot (golf course) and a group of us were literally moving cars out of the way so the blocked in cars could get out as a lot of people were leaving at halftime that day. I contributed little of the muscle but still a fun memory. Then in '88 or so, UCLA was good, and UCLA blew them out. I am assuming Nebraska takes this one but a good test for the Bruins. Any upset games on your radar tomorrow? Anybody going to a game?
  • Options
    The real UCLA- Nebraska game was the opener for both teams in 1972- UCLA pulled one of its greatest upsets beating Nebraska 20-17- I remember listening to the game on the radio. Nebraska was ranked #1 going into the season

• Options

<< <i>

I think the Pac 12 has a couple teams who could beat an SEC team. . >>

USC and Oregon have an outside chance at beating Arkansas.

They have very little chance against LSU or Bama.

Taylor Martinez of Nebraska looks like the real deal this year. I expect Nebraska to win.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I think the Pac 12 has a couple teams who could beat an SEC team. . >>

USC and Oregon have an outside chance at beating Arkansas.

They have very little chance against LSU or Bama.

Taylor Martinez of Nebraska looks like the real deal this year. I expect Nebraska to win. >>

Yes, I agree USC and Oregon could beat Arkansas. So can a lot of other teams apparently. The SEC has two very good teams and so does the Pac 12. I am concerned about Oregon and $C's defense though. Both have allowed mediocre opponents to score a lot. I am not sure they are at Alabama or LSU's level but either of these Pac teams could beat either of those SEC teams.

Hopefully you didn't put much money on Nebraska to beat UCLA. No, it's not a major upset but nice win for the new look Bruins.

Good day overall for the Pac beating Wisky, OK state and NB. However, Colorado lost to Sac State and Utah lost to Utah State... but I haven't fully accepted either Utah or Utah State into the Pac TEN yet. image
  • Options
    A great weekend for the pac-10 ??? Things must be pretty bad over there when you get excited about a bunch of wins at home by marginal points.

Your top two teams looked less then impressive. If the pac-10 played those home games on the road, you probably lose all of them.

Let's see what happens next week when you have.........

California @ Ohio State
    Arizona State @ Missouri

And not to be disrespectful to the Pac-10, but Bama and LSU easily beat Oregon or USC any day of the week. The talent level isn't even close
    on the offensive, defensive, and kicking game. Yes, USC and Oregon have some good athletes, but the depth and talent level isn't close yet.
  • Options
    I didn't think Utah State was in the Pac 10

• Options

<< <i>A great weekend for the pac-10 ??? Things must be pretty bad over there when you get excited about a bunch of wins at home by marginal points. >>

Nice way to spin things. Your bias against the PAC-12 is so obvious, it deafens the ears and blinds the eyes.

First, larryallen said "good" day for the PAC-10. He didnt thow his cheerleading outfit on and said that the PAC-12 rules the world, as would most SEC fans routinely do.

Second, three bottom tier PAC-12 schools beat three ranked opponents. Arizona and UCLA have new coaches. And Oregon State hasnt been relevant in over 2 years. Yes, these games were at home - but, please dont belittle wins against ranked opponents from teams who were not expected to win, even at home. AZ was 10 points underdogs - UCLA and Oregon St. were 6 and 7 points underdogs, respectively.

<< <i>And not to be disrespectful to the Pac-10, but Bama and LSU easily beat Oregon or USC any day of the week >>

Im not sure why you added the first part of that sentence when all your comments about the PAC-12 have been one sided and filled with obvious disdain. At least be consistent with your one sided trash talking and just say Bama and LSU will beat USC and Oregon any day of the week. Period.

Lastly, Im not wearing blinders. The PAC-12's weakness the last decade has been the poor play of mid and lower teams. It's great the conference got two teams into BCS bowls the last 2 years, but what drags the conference down, nationally and locally, is when teams that were supposed to be consistently good, like Cal and Oregon State, or see improvement, like UCLA and Arizona, have failed in meeting expectations. This past Saturday gives PAC-12 followers some comfort in knowing that perhaps the rest of the conference is going in the right direction. By no means should we start throwing a party - but, some recognition should be acknowledged.
  • Options
    Overall, the Pac 10 had a great weekend

• Options

<< <i>I didn't think Utah State was in the Pac 10 >>

I am not sure I said it clearly but I meant to say that the Pac 12's University of Utah lost to the very lowly Utah State which put some damper on the good weekend. That and Colorado losing to Iaa Sac State. In any event, my typing skills aside, good weekend overall. image
  • Options
    Gotta give my Vols some love with a 2-0 start!image

I know we can't play with the bigs yet, but it's a start.

It's been awhile since I had hope for my alma mater(class of '90)!

Gameday is coming to Knoxville on Saturday. Wish I could go down and heckle Fowler!

Robert
  • Options

<< <i>Gotta give my Vols some love with a 2-0 start!image

I know we can't play with the bigs yet, but it's a start.

It's been awhile since I had hope for my alma mater(class of '90)!

Gameday is coming to Knoxville on Saturday. Wish I could go down and heckle Fowler!

Robert >>

Gameday in Knoxville would be fun. I have been to a couple of regular games, without Gameday, there and it was a lot of fun. With Gameday should be off the hook. Good luck to the Vols!
  • Options
    Looks like west coat bias at the top of the current ESPN Heisman "experts" poll:

ESPN Experts' Poll
    Sept. 11, 2012
    Name Position School Year 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th Total
    Matt Barkley QB USC Sr. 12 1 1 1 0 69
    Geno Smith QB West Virginia Sr. 2 10 1 1 0 55
    De'Anthony Thomas RB Oregon So. 0 2 6 2 1 31
    Johnathan Franklin RB UCLA Sr. 0 1 3 2 0 17
    Le'Veon Bell RB Michigan State Jr. 0 0 1 3 2 11
    Marqise Lee WR USC So. 1 0 1 0 1 9
    Jarvis Jones LB Georgia Jr. 0 1 0 1 2 8
    Collin Klein QB Kansas State Sr. 0 0 0 2 2 6
    Marcus Lattimore RB South Carolina Jr. 0 0 1 1 1 6
    Teddy Bridgewater QB Louisville So. 0 0 1 0 0 3
    Braxton Miller QB Ohio State So. 0 0 0 1 1 3
    DeAndre Hopkins WR Clemson Jr. 0 0 0 0 2 2
    Landry Jones QB Oklahoma Sr. 0 0 0 1 0 2
    Kenjon Barner RB Oregon Sr. 0 0 0 0 1 1
    Tyler Bray QB Tennessee Jr. 0 0 0 0 1 1
    Aaron Murray QB Georgia Jr. 0 0 0 0 1 1
  • Options
    As a UCLA fan having fun this week reading espn.com... though don't expect that to continue. Franklin in the Heisman race, Hundley top new QB, Mora great new coach, etc.... Must have new staffers at ESPN who are UCLA alums as the website is covered with UCLA people doing well. Yes I know UCLA will come back to earth but hopefully not against an 0-2 Houston team.

Anybody going to games this weekend? Who you rooting for? Big upsets? What you looking forward to?

What about Arkansas coming back from the dead to beat 'bama?

Auburn only favored by 16 against ULM. That line would have been 40 before last week's game. image

Wisky only favored by 14 at home against Utah State!? I have to assume Wisky can handle that spread.
  • Options
    Well we got it handed to us in the second half by the Gators!

Im encouraged that we at least looked like a real team most of the game for the first time in recent memory!

I still dont think anyone will beat Alabama anyway but thats why they play the games!image

I still say Go Vols!

Robert
  • Options
    USC rushing attack against Stanford.

28 attempts........26 yards

• Options

<< <i>

I disagree about U$C and I am no fan of theirs. I would be shocked if they don't have at least one national championship in the next 3-4 years. >>

Well, better luck next year.
  • Options

<< <i>Well we got it handed to us in the second half by the Gators!

Im encouraged that we at least looked like a real team most of the game for the first time in recent memory!

I still dont think anyone will beat Alabama anyway but thats why they play the games!image

I still say Go Vols!

Robert >>

Ya, the Gators came on strong in the second half. Bummer.

Alabama is looking good. I am hoping for Oregon v. 'Bama in the end. Long way to go though.
  • Options
    Alabama vs. Oregon would be a great matchup.

Still not sure anyone is in Alabamas league yet.

Robert
  • Options

<< <i>Alabama vs. Oregon would be a great matchup.

Still not sure anyone is in Alabamas league yet.

Robert >>

Only LSU can play with Bama. No one else has a chance. FSU vs. Clemson and Arizona at Oregon will tell us a little bit more about how strong those clubs are.
  • Options
    Any big upsets coming this weekend?

Clemson over Florida State?

K-State over OK?

Mich over ND?

I could see all of those.

Looking forward to AZ v. O out here in the Pac. I think Oregon will score 50+ but will have to leave their starters in the game in the second half.
  • Options
    I was wrong about Oregon. They only scored 49. However, I still think Oregon v. 'bama could be fun for the BCS championship.
  • Options
    As a bias west coaster I really think Oregon is looking good. Very excited for their prospects if they can get to the national championship game.
  • Options
    Oregon is fun to watch and has the speed to match the Tide. Would be a great title game.

Since my team stinks so bad, the buzz here in Nashville and in Knoxville is all about the potential hiring of Jon Gruden. He has ties to the school as a former grad assistant and his wife was a cheerleader there as well.

I realize that his name always comes up for potential openings this time of year, but I hope this happens. UT needs a big splash and he could go head to head with Saban and Miles in recruiting, eventually.

Will be fun to see how it plays out.

Robert

• Options

<< <i>Oregon is fun to watch and has the speed to match the Tide. Would be a great title game.

Since my team stinks so bad, the buzz here in Nashville and in Knoxville is all about the potential hiring of Jon Gruden. He has ties to the school as a former grad assistant and his wife was a cheerleader there as well.

I realize that his name always comes up for potential openings this time of year, but I hope this happens. UT needs a big splash and he could go head to head with Saban and Miles in recruiting, eventually.

Will be fun to see how it plays out.

Robert >>

Having lived out there for a while back in the 1950's (or at least it felt like the 1950's) I have a fondness for the Vols and hope they could make a big hire like Gruden. That would be incredible.
  • Options
    Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    Yeah it would be great for the program. Gruden would draw attention for certain.

Im the rare person who was born and has lived in the South his entire life who loves Pac 10(12) football!

My favorite vacation trip our family has taken was to San Francisco and I am trying to convince my wife to retire out West in about 15 years!image

Robert
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I realize that his name always comes up for potential openings this time of year, but I hope this happens. UT needs a big splash and he could go head to head with Saban and Miles in recruiting, eventually. >>

The head coach at Tennessee is rarely in recruiting battles with Les Miles. Les fills that team with kids from Louisiana and Texas. The Tennessee coach is battling UF, UGA, and SC for Georgia and Florida talent. That is why Tennessee has to recruit nationally is because they can't get all the local talent need in Tennessee.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    I know Colorado sucks but man Oregon put a whooping on them. 56... at the half.
  • Options
    I knew Auburn sucks, but Texas A&M put 28-0 on them in the 1st quarter.

So nice to see USC and Oregon State fall out of the Top 10.

Now all the pac-10 cheerleaders can go away.

• Options
    Mcadams that is why I said Gruden might be able to go against Miles eventually.

Vol fans are painfully aware that we rarely get players from Louisiana or Texas.

You are correct in stating that GA and FLA are the true battlegrounds. We can only hope our next coach can recruit nationally in the future.

Robert

• Options
    Though obviously nobody other than the SEC is playing for a national title I am still interested in college football. Bummer that $C lost last week as it would have made for a great showdown out west. No, not equal to SEC football but for the west coast it would have been big. Frankly some division IAA games in the southeast probably draw more excitement than our normal Saturday games out west. So this should be fun. Hoping Oregon whups them and they continue the march toward losing in the BCS championship game. It's really not fair to the SEC that they even have to put up with pesky competitors from the lower conferences. However, on we march toward playing for #2.
  • Options
    Larry, I am rooting for Oregon. By far the most fun team to watch on a week to week basis. Go Ducks!

Robert
  • Options
    Woo hoo! Alabama goes down!

Robert
  • Options
    I wanted Alabama to be undefeated. I really think Oregon could give them a run for their money.

The problem is if the championship game ends up with any combination of Oregon, K-state or ND then then SEC fans still say they are the best, tough competition beats each other during the season, yada, yada, yada.... So I would have preferred an undefeated 'bama.

Oh well....

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wanted Alabama to be undefeated. I really think Oregon could give them a run for their money.

The problem is if the championship game ends up with any combination of Oregon, K-state or ND then then SEC fans still say they are the best, tough competition beats each other during the season, yada, yada, yada.... So I would have preferred an undefeated 'bama.

Oh well.... >>

It's hard to tell with Oregon. Their non conference schedule was Arkansas St, Tennessee Tech and Fresno St all at home. They have yet to play the best two teams in the Pac "10" in OSU and Stanford.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    As an SEC fan living deep in SEC country(Nashville) and a graduate of the University of Tennessee(90) I can say that I wont be saying other teams had an easier road to the championship.

The talent is so spread out these days that there are many good football teams that are capable of a big win on any given Saturday as A&M and Arizona have shown.

I love it when different teams are in play for the title and this will be even better when the playoff starts!

Robert