Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Won an Error on Stacks auction and did not even know it!

jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
So yes I bid on the item but I thought I remember looking and seeing that I was outbid. So today I get a nasty-gram saying I need to pay up! image

Here is what I won!

Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014

Comments

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't recall exactly where I saw this before in the last year...

Yet it's really hard to forget an error that looks like it could double as a Swiss Army knife! imageimageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

JMCU12, this is a curious piece. What prompted you to bid on it? Do you already have similar items in your collection?

Coincidentally, today’s column is on U.S. Mint Errors that were in the Stack’s-Bowers Rarities Night event. Other than a two part series on 1943 coppers and 1944 steel cents, this is my first article on mint errors. Comments, both positive and negative, from error collectors are welcome.

The ANA Rarities Night, Part 4: U.S. Mint Errors

1943-S copper and 1944-S steel errors, Part 1

1943-S copper and 1944-S steel errors, Part 2

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice, I like it !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow !!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    errormavenerrormaven Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    This appears to be a disintegrating obverse die cap. Part of the wall has broken off and other parts have folded over onto the obverse. There's also a small partial brockage on the internal surface of the wall. This may have been generated during the initial strike since there is no disruption of the reverse design. The obverse design seen in the floor of the cap was probably "freshened" by subsequent strikes. A complex and eye-catching error.
    Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.
  • Options
    I was searching for a foldover error and came across this error. I thought it was intriguing so I bid on it.

I guess I was meant to have it. Errormaven's comments are interesting and now that I look at it again I can see how it might have originated as a a die cap.

It is unique to say the least. Can't wait to get it in hand.
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You done good- very cool coin.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That thing has issues! image Nice one.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a .30 caliber bullet after it did in a 500 pound bull elk. Is that some verdigris in the lower left corner?
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,593 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does it give the weight? My gut feeling is multiple planchets.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to say but I do not feel the foldover is a mechanical error?

The way it's sheared at the seam it might have been stepped on by the press operator when it was ejected from the die.

Still a total mint error if it occurred while the three second (food) floor rule was in effect.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    'capt' I too was thinking two planchets. Or at least i am hoping fir that!!

They did not show the holder they only state that it is in an old anacs holder.

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you tried to pump it up but ending getting it.
  • Options
    Entirely untrue, and I would suggest you pay attention to the forum rules which are very clear.

Specifically rules 3,5 and possibly 8 if you think you would like to continue down this road.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file