Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

To Open or not to open, opinions wanted 1973 Topps bb wax pack

OK, so here it goes, I bought this pack of 1973 Topps baseball in the last group rip with the intentions of graded it. Here is my dilema, I am afraid the pack will not grade very high because of the way the package at the top looks.. What are your opinions? Would you leave it sealed and grade it, or would you rip it? Thanks, Mark

MARK AGGSON
Collecting Pete Rose Cello Packs
Pete Rose Master set ranking #4(Retired)

Comments

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks terrible, open that sucker! image
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    i always enjoy these threads because you have the crazies who yell "Rip IT!! RIP IT!!!", and then the purists jump in and beg you to leave it sealed for the sake of future generations of obsessive/cumpulsives or science.

in order to please both sides, i suggest you cut the pack straight down the middle and bust whichever half appeals to you and leave the other half sealed......kinda.

problem solved.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Send it in for grading and if it comes back with a grade you are not happy with, THEN rip it.

Don't know where you are at with your collection, do you already have some of these and this one is (sort of) an extra?

You know the odds on getting anything out of one pack are stacked against you. But ripping would be fun!

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I'd rip it... it appears all the cards will be horizontal. What a SCORE! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Are you a PACK collector or a CARD collector? I'd OPEN it!
  • Options
    i got the same issue on my 73 pack - side was poorly folded - took a vote on the boards and decided to open - some cards are off center and others have bad edges. I did get a dwight evans rookie - witha rough left edge- schmidt is still out there so maybe worth a shot - but i do have that wish i hadn't feeling -

i bought two so the other is staying sealed and getting graded.
  • Options
    A few days ago I posed the same question with one of my 1973 packs which showed a gum tear on the top front. Concensus agreed with me that the best I could hope for would be a "6". I've decided to leave it sealed and accept the 6 during some future submission as I feel the chance of recouping the $ spent is with it staying sealed. IMO if there was a way to authenticate and seal without a grade these would be perfect packs for that.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!' Mark Frost
  • Options
    jrbolesjrboles Posts: 566 ✭✭
    I ripped the 1973 pack I purchased and wish I didn't. Miscut Babe Ruth legends card and Yankees Team card were the highlights. But the dam thing sat there all day singing "Moonlight at the Oasis" at me and I had no choice. If you can resist, get it graded and rip if you get a poor grade.
  • Options
    From the guy that rips almost everything, I'd say keep it sealed and get it graded. However, if it was in my hands, that's a PSA 1 and would have to be ripped.
  • Options
    Topps29Topps29 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    Can you display a scan of the Evans RC, I need one for my ungraded set...
  • Options
    cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    Mark,

My 73 pack looks similar to yours on the top but not quite as noticeable. I am going to get mine graded. Maybe you should put it in a drawer so you don't see it and you can decide what to do after you see what grade mine gets.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    This is why the grading is such a beautiful option. Once it is encased, the temptation to open diminishes. I am sitting here still staring at my 86F pack wondering if I have a Jordan and it's killing me. I need to get this off to PSA pronto!
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    Mark - i like your thinking - keep me posted

Topps29 -
    Here is the Evans I pulled - sorry don't have a scanner near by - this is on my phone - can still get a scanner pic up soon...
  • Options
    JaktJakt Posts: 573
    Get it graded. You'll have something neat with a "what could it be" mentality that will last as long as you have it. If you rip it, either you hit the jackpot (unlikely) or you will end up disappointed and the fun is over in less than a minute.
    I'm building a 1968 and a 1970 Topps set. I have lots of 1970s and 1960s to offer in trade.
  • Options
    Grip it and rip it.
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    David, everyone knows the devil is a pack ripper. Those cards need to stay protected from the elements. Get those captions right!!!
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    vettfanaticvettfanatic Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    Rip that thing open. If you want a graded pack buy one that's already slabbed in the grade you want. Why take a chance wasting more money getting it graded just to be disappointed with the result.

OPEN IT!!!
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    david--hilarious !!
  • Options
    YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    I would open it image
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mark - i like your thinking - keep me posted

Topps29 -
    Here is the Evans I pulled - sorry don't have a scanner near by - this is on my phone - can still get a scanner pic up soon...
    image >>

Nice Dewey! Looks nicely centered and could be a 9 candidate if the corners are sharp.