Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Interesting error - how is this possible?

This Norwegian coin belongs to a friend of mine. The type was struck on very bad flans and flawed coins are way more common than perfect specimens.

The interesting thing about this coin is that it seems to suffer from brockage, but even though fairly big parts of the flan are missing you can still se traces of the letters in the craters left by the missing parts. I haven't seen this before. Can anyone explan how this is possible? I have included a picture of the coin seen from the side where it is evident that a fairly big chunk of metal has gone missing.

Regards, Marcel
Ebay user name: 00MadMuffin00

Comments

• Options
    mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    Just a regular planchet peel, there's usually some remnant of the struck design under the peel. Here's one I happened to image today that you can clearly see parts of the design in the peeled area:

Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Struck on a really wretched planchet, I guess?

It's neat. I'm not sure if it's particularly valuable as an error, but like you said, it's definitely interesting.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup, looks like lamination. The reason you still see the design elements is due to the change in hardness when metal flows into devices during strike.
  • Options
    Thanks! Couldn't have figured that out myself. It's strange, yet logical, that a coin is struck not just on the surface, but also deep inside.

@ lordmarcovan - no, a lamination such as this would make the coin less valuable. Errors are common on these coins. I have a 1 skilling from this period that is well struck, only lightly circulated and free from any major flaws - that's a scarce coin!

Regards, Marcel
    Ebay user name: 00MadMuffin00
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, that's what I said.

Said, "I'm not sure if it's particularly valuable as an error".

Cool, though.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    It can happen even on overstruck coins:

960 Coins - Rare and high quality 960 Reis overstrikes and counterstamps from Brazil and more.
    http://blog.960coins.com - All about the 960 Reis coins.
    Check my BST!
  • Options
    If you look very carefully you can just see the lettering inside the split

1967 penny