Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1975 Topps mini wax box - Updated results

I bought it last October with the plan of holding it for awhile but the temptation got to me. The box looks brand new. Upon opening the flap, I was greeted with mint packs. My biggest concern was centering. I opened 2 packs and I'm very pleased with the quality of the cards as well as the centering. 3 of the cards are definitely O/C top to bottom. One bummer is that out of 2 packs, I got 4 doubles.

Pix to follow - photobucket is being weird.
Daniel

Comments

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

Daniel
  • Options

Daniel
  • Options
    Daniel
  • Options

Daniel
  • Options
    This is going to be a fun thread. Let me grab a beer... brb
  • Options
    Here's to a perfectly centered Brett and Yount image
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    Daniel,

Best of luck with your rip.

Dave
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    This looks like fun

good luck!!
  • Options
    MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    GOOD LUCK! Packs look great!
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Packs look clean! Good luck on the rip!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Marc - Hold off on that beer. I was only planning on opening the 2 packs - at least for today.
    Daniel
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Oh the humanity. image

Daniel, repeat after me "Packs are our friends, not for ripping".

Seriously though, good luck with the carnage and make sure to check the backs for any stars showing to submit for pack grading. You may also want to pick the best couple to get graded as those packs look like they are in really nice condition.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    Collect Brooks Robinson and unique O's items
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow Dan - really good start!

If you choose to open - here's to finding key RCs in 10s!!! The packs are pristine.

Good luck
    Mike
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    GO AHEAD--I DARE YA !!!!!
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those cards are coming out of the packs with mint corners and coloring. All you need is centering on a few and you might hit a home run!!!

Good luck!
  • Options
    Those packs look great and the cards look like it'll be interesting to see who is OC and who is not!
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MVPs are rockin'!

Go get 'em!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Best of luck if you decide to open the rest!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Repeat after me: "I am strong. I can resist temptation. I am strong. I can resist temptation." It may be time for a CPAMike intervention!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!' Mark Frost
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Can you please hurry and open these up? I have been waiting for the past six hours to see what you opened up now, and nothing is being posted. Stop being so brave and strong - just open them up.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    This exciting!!!! Scans please!!!!

Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing, absolutely awesome cards and packs, I just couldn't buy the box to open, to me its almost like it belongs behind glass! Hope you get some high grade Younts and Bretts, absolutely awesome!!
  • Options
    I had planned just to open the 2 packs and if the centering was bad, have the rest slabbed by PSA. I did open 4 more packs yesterday and centering was about the same - generally 2 O/C cards per pack. No star hits in those subsequent 4 packs. I put the box away for now but Paul is right - once you start a box, it's really hard to stop.
    Daniel
  • Options
    once you start a box, it's really hard to stop.

As a fellow mini collector, I can say it's actually impossible...the only cure is to submit a few to PSA so they are entombed in thick plastic (or sell a few to me, lol)..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Here is an update on this box: I decided to open 18 packs and send the best 18 packs to PSA for grading (I ended up opening 3 more and only sending in 15 -damn you, Rip Devil!). As far as star power, I think I did very well: Rose, Ryan, Yount, Brett, Schmidt, 2 Munsons (alas, no Aaron). Centering was generally pretty good. Probably averaged about 2 quite poorly centered to miscut cards per pack. I know 1975 minis could be much worse and it was a gamble opening the box. All in all, I had a blast with this and I'm glad I did it. Here are the highlights other than those shown on the first page. I'll most likely eventually send 5 or 6 of these to be graded. The Steve Carlton is probably the best card in terms of star power, centering and sharp corners/gloss.

Daniel
  • Options
    RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭
    Nice Ryan! I think you have a good chance at a 9 on that card.
  • Options
    I agree that Ryan is Sweet!!! Nice batch of cards, you could make some coin on this break. Get some decent grades on the packs and you will.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    You should look at the pop report and send in cards you feel can get high grades on low pops. Nice star power. You can actually make your money back and more on even commons that come back as 9's.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    crazy nice Ryan, agree that could be a 9.
  • Options
    I agree you have a shot at a 9 on the Ryan, with the grade most likely being a strong 8 to 8.5. Rose looks good, too despite the slight tilt. Perez and Gibson HL cards look sharp, too.
    I would agree with your assessment that Carlton has the best likelihood of going Mint 9. If it were centered a smidge higher, you might be looking at a possible 10 on that one.
    Good luck with the grades!

• Options
    Sorry, where is the Ryan that "has a shot at a 9"? All I see is a badly tilted one that's an 8 at most, & even that might take more than one sub.
  • Options

<< <i>Sorry, where is the Ryan that "has a shot at a 9"? All I see is a badly tilted one that's an 8 at most, & even that might take more than one sub. >>

There is a slight tilt but it would be incorrect to call it "badly tilted." PSA doesn't downgrade for a tilt anyway if centering is within parameters for the grade otherwise.
    Personally, as I posted, I think it will grade an 8 or an 8.5 due to L/R centering, but I've seen similarly centered minis in a PSA 9 holder, so it does have a shot, albeit
    maybe not a very good one.

• Options

<< <i>Sorry, where is the Ryan that "has a shot at a 9"? All I see is a badly tilted one that's an 8 at most, & even that might take more than one sub. >>

Badly tilted? Hardly

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    9 potential? Hardly. It's barely an 8.
  • Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    those aren't tilts, but mcs. graders will treat them more harshly than a square card with tilt.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    This discussion about tilts raises an interesting subject with regard to "tilts" where the image of the player within the borders of the card is either slightly or noticeably askew and "diamond cuts" which are often mistakenly used to describe a "tilted" card but are actually where a card is miscut in what appears to be almost a parallelogram in shape. I recall Mike (stone193) had a good visual example of the difference.

• Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    From personal experience, they can be silly lenient on "tilts" which makes me nuts, but to each his own. On the other hand, full sized minis with true diamond cuts will not fit a mini holder, so you wind up with a 50/50 between a miscut non grade or a baggie. Either way, they are less kind on diamonds. The Rose jumps off the page as a diamond. Some of the others may well be tilts, but I see diamonds as well.

That said, I'd always let psa determine it in the end. I'd grade the ryan in a heartbeat and expect an 8. The brett and yount are both 7s due to t/b imo. The schmidt might be a pleasant surprise as well.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    Schmidt is a strong card even in a PSA 8 which that card has a shot at, despite its tilt.

Edit to add: A good way to determine whether a card is truly diamond cut is to measure its shape--if it's not a true rectangle (and more like a parallelogram or diamond in shape)
    it's a diamond cut. If it's a tilt, the card will measure as a rectangle but the player image within the borders will appear visually askew. Both of these scenarios are also different from
    a mini that is "long" or "tall" in size which PSA will holder (if the card does grade) with the baggie since it will not otherwise fit in the normal mini holder.

• Options
    I just saw the results of the break. I'd be thrilled to pull the HOF's in the condition pulled. I especially believe the Schmidt stands out along with the top 2 rookies.
  • Options
    I just checked the Rose card and it's definitely the proper shape, not diamond cut. I did get a few cards (2 or 3) that are too tall. Didn't notice any shorties.
    Daniel
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    who suggested that the Grinch post in this thread?
  • Options
    dzolotdzolot Posts: 174 ✭✭
    You get any grades back yet??
    I have twelve Sports Cards videos on youtube w/ over 75,000 views in total!! Vintage cards like 1951 Mantle, 33 Goudey Ruth, T206 Cobb, etc (copy and paste link below):

http://www.youtube.com/user/dzolot

Thanks for watching. Hope you enjoyed!!

- I would encourage all collectors to post a video of their collection - I have found it to be a very rewarding way to share my sports cards!!
  • Options
    I have not submitted any singles but plan to (no rush). I did submit 15 packs this past week but with a 45 business day time plus logging time, I don't expect results until some time in January.
    Daniel
  • Options
    Well, I got my results from a 28 card sub. I pulled the best 15 minis from this box. Seriously not amused: Rose (minimum size req), Ryan (evidence of trimming (really?!), Schmidt 7 Stain, Brett 7, Yount 6. I also had 13 non-75 minis, 4 of which got Min Size Req.
    Daniel
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    OUCH! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    I'd post something but instead will just say I'm sorry to hear this.

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Wow Daniel ... sorry to hear that. Hopefully your packs come back with high grades and you can make up some of the $$. Best of luck.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    I think Yount might have PD qualifier so that's automatic -2 on the grade. These scans are low resolution which may make the cards look better than they are. This is why you cannot judge a card by a scan. You'll see a card blown up to 3-5x it's actual size and the smallest imperfection looks like a huge flaw. These photos are the opposite, very low resolution can help mask smaller flaws. I'm going to guess that many of the cards have chipping on the corners which is common on 75T (much like 71T or 86T football).
  • Options
    The cards were inspected very carefully by me. I had a 50 card sub at the National and if anything, the grades were better than expected.
    Daniel