Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Your thoughts on this Japanese 5 Ryo Goryoban?

I had someone raise questions of authenticity on this piece, but couldn't give any specifics of what may be wrong. If you have any thoughts, for or against, I'm interested to learn more. The piece weighs in at 112.92g.

Thanks!

Jeremy
JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Comments

• Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I can't even begin to tell you how far out of my league this is! I look forward to the commentary of our local experts.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. If that's a fake, it's still incredibly beautiful.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful piece! You might have to bring it to some Japanese artifact expert or something. Be interested to find out the outcome. Pls. keep us updated.
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's beautiful.

As far as help with authentication, you can forget about me for sure.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy that is a cool hunk of change you got there - imagine where it's been and the history behind it.

Personally imho I believe it is genuine - I see no reason to assume otherwise..but you def need series experts here - or tpg feedback.

• Options
    DeiGratiaDeiGratia Posts: 273 ✭✭✭
    Out of my league and expertise.

But I did find an example sold by Ponterio in 2009

Here's the Link GoRyoBan
  • Options
    Well, the attribution is definitely wrong. The 1837-43 Tempo Goryoban Kin is shown in the Japanese Numismatic Dealers Assn with a weight of 33.75g, and it isn't inked.,

That said, I think it is probably a genuine piece.

The ripple pattern of the obverse, the calligaraphy of the inking, and the other design elements all match with the 1860-62 Man-en Oban Kin, which has a nominal weight of 112.40g. For the benefit of anyone else with the JNDA catalog, it's on page 83 of the current edition, with an indicated value of 2-million to 3.5-million yen (~$25,500-44,500), and I would place this example near the high end of the range. It's the highest grade I've ever seen outside of a Japanese museum.

Edited to correct valuation typo
    Roy

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I don't see anything that screams "FAKE" and I do see things that you would expect on a genuine example. But having said that I have see a total of maybe two of these.

I would consult with a known Japanese expert before doing anything with this example.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    and by the way....WOW!!!!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    3Mark3Mark Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    Jeremy:

FWIW, I have noticed that this type has been pulled from several auctions (Heritage and Goldberg) in the past for questions. I don't know what happened to them.

3Mark
    I'm traveling on memory and running out of fuel.
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    What were the questions raised about this piece's authenticity?
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, indeed. Also well beyond my sphere of knowledge.

I remember watching that one when you listed it, was curious as to what it was worth. I was pretty amazed at the final price, though I guess it was only a little over 3x the melt value.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What were the questions raised about this piece's authenticity? >>

The buyer wouldn't say. I was kind of between a rock and a hard place. I have to accept a return if someone thinks something is not authentic and I can't prove otherwise, but when no information is provided, I really have nothing to go on.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Chinese cash enthusiast
  • Options
    Try reaching out to Luke Roberts : http://www.history.ucsb.edu/faculty/roberts/index.html. He was nice enough to help me out with a bunch of Japanese charms years ago. It looks real to me, but I have only seen them in catalogs.
    Chinese cash enthusiast