Home Sports Talk

Confused - Brewing Red Sox/Dodgers Trade

MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't get a handle on this from the Dodger's perspective. It seems they are paying for the sizable contracts of two pretty poor players (Beckett & Crawford) just to get their hands on Adrian Gonzalez. I don't see how they get any value from Beckett or Crawford, considering their recent performances; so they think Gonzalez is worth some 250 million? I mean he's very, very good, but that good? Do they really think Crawford will bring value next year, with all the injuries he's sustained? Do they think Beckett will suddenly pitch to a sub-5 ERA?

I am no fan of either time, by the way. And as a Yankee fan, I must admit that while I miss the heated rivalry of recent years, I am not displeased either to see the Red Sox once-alleged, so highly touted WS favorite utterly capitulate. But this seems like a ton of money to spend on one guy, who is elite to be sure.

I'd also think that Big Papi has another great year or two left, and the Papi-Pedrioia-Gonzalez offensive core is undeniably strong. So from the Sox perspective, with such deep financial resources, is it worth losing a great offensive player in Gonzalez just to jettison two poor players in Beckett and Crawford? Maybe psychologically the brass there feels the Crawford contract is too stark a symbol of missed expectations for the team. But I'd want to keep those three great hitters. So this trade seems strange to me from both sides somewhat.

Perhaps because I don't follow either team very closely there are nuances to this that are escaping me, which fans of either team can bring to light. Thx.

Comments

• pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Beckett needs a change of scenery and a big ballpark.

Crawford was hitting very well when he decided to have Tommy John surgery to get ready for next year and he did not like the media pressure in Boston.

I think they will both do well in LA.

Boston was tired of not being in the playoffs and decided to start over.
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    After getting smoked at home by their division rivals, the Dodgers are in a "win now at any costs" mode. In order to get Adrian Gonzalez, who will help them win, they are willing to take on Crawford and Beckett's bad contracts as well as deal their prospects.

Laugh now, cry later.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    Actually, this is a matter when the McCourt ownership helped the Dodgers because they weren't saddled with any long term bad contracts & now have the opportunity to make a deal like this.

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that Crawford should work out well for the LAD. He was doing rather well when he was shut down for surgery. I think the Sox made Beckett a "must take" with the deal, but I guess he will be a serviceable number five pitcher.
  • MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    I see; guess I have just had a much lower opinion of Crawford than he deserved. Thought he was kind of a total bust signing. If he can still perform for LA, then maybe it's not so bad. Still it seems like they are going to be outlaying a buttload of cash in hopes that Gonzalez takes them deep this year.

<< <i>Still it seems like they are going to be outlaying a buttload of cash in hopes that Gonzalez takes them deep this year. >>

That's the only reason why this deal got done.

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a Sox fan, but once this deal gets done, I will be rooting for Punto and Gonzalez to take the Dodgers to the World Series.
    Don't rule out Beckett in that group helping them win this year.

I think it was a good trade for both teams for different reasons.
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭
    I tend to agree with Digi that the Dogers didn't like getting swept by the Giants. I think they over-reacted and would win the division either way. As a Dodger fan I just don't love the trade. Too risky to me. I understand the mentality of they want to win now. I just don't like mortgaging the future to increase their chances of winning now. Oh well, they didn't ask me what I thought before making the move. I should add it's these kind of wholesale moves that make me less and less of a fan. Not living in LA anymore I rarely get to a game, don't read about them in the paper, etc.... It's harder to be a "fan" of a team just because they wear they same uniform as your childhood heros. Even if they won the world series I don't think I would be that excited. Maybe it's just me.
    What's the deal with Punto? He seems like a random bench guy to throw into the mix.

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although I hate to lose Gonzalez, I like the trade. Cherington has some stones after all.

Now he should tell the remaining players to stop b*tching about Bobby V and play as a team.
  • Didn't the Red Sox get Pedro Martinez from the Dodgers ?

This DeLaRosa they're getting hits 97 on the gun, so he could be a big plus in a year or two.
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Except for losing Adrian Gonzalez, this deal if it goes through would be the best thing to happen to the Red Sox in many years.

Looks like the Dodgers new ownership is willing to spend big just for a glimmer of hope at staying in contention. Will the Dodgers become the West Coast Yankees? Personally I say no. More likely the Dodgers turn into the West Coast Red Sox: a team with a top dollar payroll churning out a slightly above mediocre performance.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
    This deal has gone through, Beckett and boys are on a private jet on their way already.
  • CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    I was also a little confused why they threw in Punto as well. Maybe they didn't think he was worth the 1.5 mil he is getting paid?

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    It would have been nice to have a futures bet on the Dodgers a couple of days ago.

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I was also a little confused why they threw in Punto as well. Maybe they didn't think he was worth the 1.5 mil he is getting paid? >>

Dodgers need an utility infielder guy. Their normal utility infielder Jerry Hairston Jr. is out for the rest of the year.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭
    As a Dodger fan I still don't like it but is what it is I suppose. A bold move for sure.
  • bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Stan Kasten Co-owner and Pres was on the radio the other day and said he felt the fans in LA shouldn't have to wait a few years to be in contention for World Series and talked about how they wanted to start this year.

Gonzalez is a major upgrade of James Loney at first base. I know his #'s have been down, but I know he's gotta be happy to be back in So Cal and in the NL West.

Beckett should be able to be a valid #3 starter for the Dodgers which they need.

As far a Crawford...If the Dodgers are able to re-sign Victorino next year I would think they would have to move Crawford. They would already have Kemp and Ethier in the OF.

Do I think the Dodgers will win it this year? No, but if they win the West they have a shot at making it there if everyone plays like should, and if Billingsley can be healthy / throws like he was since the All Star break. Beckett will also have to throw like a valid #2 or 3 pitcher too.

-b
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<I would think they would have to move Crawford>>>

NOBODY is taking on that contract, at least not without the Dodgers eating a minimum of 50% of it. $20m/season for a guy with limited power, diminishing speed, and a mediocre arm is exactly at the top of most GM's shopping list.
    The Dodgers would be foolish to get rid of Crawford, he is going to be very valuable to them .