Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Value and Info on 2000 2001 Australian Lunar Proof Sets

I have two lunar proof sets, 2000 & 2001. They are not the reverse proofs. They come in a red leatherette holder with a card of authenticity. Three coins, a 2oz, 1oz, 1/2 oz. I've tried to find info on these on the web and have come up with zero. I did see a five coin set similar on the 'bay but that was it. Anyone have any other info...pricing?

Thanks,
Goob
Prost!

Why step over the dollar to get to the cent? Because it's a 55DDO.

Comments

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Take the value of the singles you find on ebay and add a couple percent for the case. A Good ballpark figure.image
  • Options
    GooberGoober Posts: 980 ✭✭✭
    Well I took your advice but couldn't find any singles...BUT...

I changed my search description and found a set just like mine listed for $2700image by an Australian seller.
    Prost!

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Great, just what you wanted to seeimage
  • Options

<< <i>Great, just what you wanted to seeimage >>

True, considering I was going to sell them for melt today.
    Prost!

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    The Lunar Series have a great following, especially the 1 and 2 oz. The complete 12 coin set (number one and number two so far), sells for multiples of melt and you should be able to find plenty on ebay. Maybe you didn't use the right search word. Their gold issues aren't that popular.

If you want to sell them, you're better off listing them separately, and not as a 3 coin set. Few people like the half oz, but many build sets of the one and of the two oz. Make sure to include the Chinese year (ox, tiger, snake) in the title.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, but I think that I need to add a few things. The Lunar Series is essentially a series of bullion coins, with limited mintage, that's using the Chinese horoscope as its theme. Nevertheless, there have been years that more than one issue per year were released, hence the Western years of issue do not always coincide with the Chinese year represented on the coin.

If you had posted that question a year ago, I wouldn't know what they were, but I received a 2oz year of the dragon as a gift from a friend and I educated myself a little about them. Also, if you are in the posession of the original box and COA, maybe you should sell them as a complete set of 3, unlike what I posted earlier. I've been surprised by the prices that other sellers sell much more recent series. The series took off in popularity somewhere around the mid 2000, so early issues are in high demand.

When I refer to a complete 12 coin series, I mean a complete set of 1 oz or 2 oz or half oz coins. The Perth Mint does not sell boxes to house all twelve coins together, but, again, such boxes can be found in the secondary market. Since your coins are 2000 and 2001, I'm certain that there are hundreds of collectors who are after your coins to complete the elusive first sets of half, one and two oz. Finally, the reason that the gold issues do not sell much higher than melt is simply the price of issue (for bullion coins).

Here's an example of how high a seller of a complete set of 2 oz, series 1, was asking for. And here is the result of a quick search on ebay with current Lunar offerings.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    I can't remember what I paid for the two sets but I bought them on looks alone. I don't think I spent more than $100 for the two. I have found more info. The ones I have are not reverse proofs. They made only 1000 numbered sets. I have found prices ranging from the mid to high $2k range but there isn't much info as every listing I've found says "RARE". Thanks for all the help. Now to find a descent price and sell them both image

Thought I'd add some more info I found out. The series started in 1999, in the year 2000 the Perth Mint minted 1000 of the three coin sets...only 982 were sold. In 2001 they again minted 1000 but only 599 were sold. So they are pretty rare. I've only found pricing on the 2000 set as I've stated above, but have found no sales or purchases of the 2001.
    Prost!