Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Help me assign ballpark trade values (and also attribute/authenticate) 3 ancients, please

I've been offered these in a trade for some leftover US coins I have.  I believe my potential swap partner mostly deals in just US material, so we don't really have a swap value or attributions on these yet.  I've got a vague idea on the first two: the Alexander drachm and the Antoninus Pius denarius.  In fact, I just bought a slightly nicer one of the latter.  I can probably figure those out using a combination of Wildwinds and VCoins listings, maybe, but your help would still be appreciated.  The third I'm clueless on, being such a novice with Greek coins.  Something says "Macedonia" to me, but... ?

Anyway, if you could help steer me in the right direction on attributions and ballpark trade values, I'd appreciate it greatly.  As to authenticity, I don't see any obvious red flags on the first two, but of course since I'm clueless on the third, it looks kind of cast to me and I'm wary?  Do let me know if you see anything out of sorts on any of them.

Thank you.

No weights and diameters given, but here is the info he provided:

<< <i>Alexander the Great
Drachm 322-275 BCE
Weight?? Size: Dime size, slightly oblong and slightly thicker

Antonius Pius
Silver denarius AD 138-161
Obv. Laur. Bust Right
Rev. Annonoa standing Left holding corn ears and an anchor
Weight?? Size: Dime size, even thickness is close

Bronze coin
Bust facing right, Horse on reverse
Dime size but 2x thickness >>

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That third piece is a bronze of Phillip II LM.

Here's a pic of one I have

That's about $10-$20 coin.
  • Options
    For the third one, I believe Macedonia is right-- in fact I once owned a bronze like this long ago. It would be Phillip II (?) the father of Alexander the Great so would date around 350 B.C
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Gil & Coach B. I thought that might be Phillip.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.