Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Has this coin been cleaned ?

Comments

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    well, its not original

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Sort of has that "dipped long ago" look.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm also going to go with "not original".
  • PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Very hard to tell from the pics. I was going to say no, from looking at the harp side (is that the Obverse or the Reverse? I'm never sure on coins without a monarch). But, on the bull side, the area to the left of the denomination looks suspect.

I do agree with the "not original" assessments.
  • dipped - if a coin is evenly toned you can dip a coin quickely to leave a little toning to make the surfaces look original when brightening up the coin
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, cleaned. Pretty sharp details, though. Still, it's a fairly common date, so I'd go for one that had that sort of detail without the cleaning.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ok guys,
    this coin is either way. If you have the "right" photo SW, you can make this coin look like million $.
    take your pick...
    personally I do not subscribe to this. BUT I have experimented with it to find out and recognize "fixed" images.
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    That's such an interesting concept to me ... recognizing fixed images ... I can definitely hear when a record is "auto-tuned" but can barely tell indigo from violet image

Not sure I'll ever have the eyes to distinguish fixed images from natural (whatever THAT means)
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ok, what would all of you say IF the seller had posted this coin looking like this?
    I thin k that this much closer to the real color than what he posted. He used the wrong lighting and camera settings , especially the white balance issue.
    this is more like it and it is actually a reasonably attractive coin. would certainly get a higher bid that what he posted.
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life