Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Coins slabbed reverse-out, unintentionally

In my series, a very surprising number of coins are slabbed reverse-out, by all TPGs. I know that you can specify reverse-out encapsulation if you want, and I know occasionally the TPGs will do it if the reverse's eye appeal far outweighs the obverse. But it happens to me a shocking number of times, for no apparent reason I can think of other than that the person doing the encapsulation simply didn't know. I'll have entire shipments come back, all of them reverse-out, and when the highlight of some of them is the obverse, it's very frustrating.

Are there any other world coins that have this problem?
960 Coins - Rare and high quality 960 Reis overstrikes and counterstamps from Brazil and more.
http://blog.960coins.com - All about the 960 Reis coins.
Check my BST!

Comments

• Options
    NeoStarNeoStar Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭
    Yes. It happens in my series as well...
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Yes, happened to me quite a few times. Also, with the prong holders, the coins are not always properly seated in the prongs. I've considered sending them back for re-slabbing but have no idea of procedure. Will they do it free, or charge?

Also have some coins (only 4) that are incorrectly labeled. Like, it says "French Equatorial Africa" on the coin but they slabbed / cataloged it under "Cameroon" ... any experience in resubmitting?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had my "Judaea Capta" Roman denarius slabbed and it came back from NGC with the reverse forward.

This wasn't unintentional on their part- they did that because of the important reverse type. It bugged me because my Roman Twelve Caesars collection is a "portrait" gallery of emperors, and to have one of them with his back turned just didn't seem right. I had them reholder it. I got a nice letter from David Vagi explaining their rationale. I understood why they did it, but to me, coins with a definite "heads" side (at least when you're working on a portrait collection), should all be heads out.

I did have a nice gilt proof 1805 Irish penny, once, though, and was glad NGC had holdered it harp forward instead of George III forward. With those, one could argue which side is the obverse. In that case I preferred the harp and HIBERNIA side.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    I had a taler recently come back from ATS and I feel strongly that it is reversed.

They felt that the obverse was this:

And the reverse was this:

I think it should be the other way around, particularly since the date is with the figure.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen this happen often with 2 8 Reales series - Mexican Hooknecks and Central American Republic "sun over the mountains". I believe they will reslab the coin, but you will still need to pay the reslabbing fee and shipping.
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Its just an annoyance and nothing more. Right now in life, I have bigger fires to fight than worrying about which way a coin faces in the holder......
  • Options

<< <i>Its just an annoyance and nothing more. Right now in life, I have bigger fires to fight than worrying about which way a coin faces in the holder...... >>

Very true, certainly there are bigger problems more worthy of time than posting about coins here.

However, when it's the obverse that contributes 90% of the value of the coin intended to be sold to a customer and it was mistakenly encapsulated reverse-out, and it happens repeatedly, that's a sizeable annoyance to me, personally.
    960 Coins - Rare and high quality 960 Reis overstrikes and counterstamps from Brazil and more.
    http://blog.960coins.com - All about the 960 Reis coins.
    Check my BST!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I had a taler recently come back from ATS and I feel strongly that it is reversed.

They felt that the obverse was this:

And the reverse was this:

I think it should be the other way around, particularly since the date is with the figure. >>

Now, see, I would interpret the side of a coin that has the country name (or, in this case, the identifying coats of arms) as the obverse. That might have been their thinking. Plenty of coins have dates on the reverse. You can't go by that. But yeah, with the date and the human figure on one side of that, it sort of does have a more "obverse" feel to it, so I can see where you're comin' from. That one is a tough call, I think. One could argue it either way.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.