Home Sports Talk

Is Megatron redefining the WR position?

I just read this article on SI.com and have to say it's just another "entertainment" article to gain clicks. It worked but it's the second one that seems to glorify today's NFL players like they are the first to achieve short term success. With words like "greatest ever" and "evolution" thrown around, I thought I'd bring it here. So does Calvin Johnson redefine the wide receiver position? Is he the best at his position in 2012?

Here is my take. The prototypical receiver in the NFL is tall, fast,runs good routes, out jumps defenders and can catch. It sounds like a lot of receivers to me. Let me name a few. Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Greg Jennings, Randy Moss, AJ Green,Julio Jones,Vincent Jackson,Marques Colston,Dwayne Bowe, Hakeem Nicks and those are active players.

There are a handful of receivers that were part of the evolution of the wide receiver position. Calvin Johnson is NOT one of them.

Comments

• BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>

There are a handful of receivers that were part of the evolution of the wide receiver position. Calvin Johnson is NOT one of them. >>

To clarify- you're saying that AJ Green, Julio Jones and Dwayne Bowe have changed the WR position more than Calvin Johnson?
  • Calvin Johnson is the best receiver in the league right now. He is a big asset to the evolution of Matthew Stafford.
    For The Best Prices on Sports Memorabilia Check out My Online Sports Memorabilia Store
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

There are a handful of receivers that were part of the evolution of the wide receiver position. Calvin Johnson is NOT one of them. >>

To clarify- you're saying that AJ Green, Julio Jones and Dwayne Bowe have changed the WR position more than Calvin Johnson? >>

I think it's safe to say Andre Johnson has, though I'm a tad biased.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

To clarify- you're saying that AJ Green, Julio Jones and Dwayne Bowe have changed the WR position more than Calvin Johnson? >>

I think it's safe to say Andre Johnson has, though I'm a tad biased. >>

Andre Johnson should not even be mentioned in the same breath as Calvin Johnson. Andre Johnson is a STUD but cant stay healthy and has NEVER had double digit TD's in a Season, he is talented but the bottom line not a chance he is in the same category as Megatron.

Sorry to jump on your post Barry but me and a buddy were just talking about this earlier today.

Calvin Johnson is awesome but he is no better than a guy like Sterling Sharpe in his prime or Moss or T.O, ofcourse if he keeps up this torrid pace he could be one of the best.

<< <i>Andre Johnson should not even be mentioned in the same breath as Calvin Johnson. Andre Johnson is a STUD but cant stay healthy and has NEVER had double digit TD's in a Season, he is talented but the bottom line not a chance he is in the same category as Megatron.

Sorry to jump on your post Barry but me and a buddy were just talking about this earlier today.

Calvin Johnson is awesome but he is no better than a guy like Sterling Sharpe in his prime or Moss or T.O, ofcourse if he keeps up this torrid pace he could be one of the best. >>

You make a valid point but I meant more along the lines of being a big dude and knocking the snot out of DBs.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

<< <i>

<< <i>Andre Johnson should not even be mentioned in the same breath as Calvin Johnson. Andre Johnson is a STUD but cant stay healthy and has NEVER had double digit TD's in a Season, he is talented but the bottom line not a chance he is in the same category as Megatron.

Calvin Johnson is awesome but he is no better than a guy like Sterling Sharpe in his prime or Moss or T.O, ofcourse if he keeps up this torrid pace he could be one of the best. >>

You make a valid point but I meant more along the lines of being a big dude and knocking the snot out of DBs. >>

Oh along those lines you are correct Sir

EDIT : image

His last name was changed to Innegan because AJ beat the F out of him.

<< <i>His last name was changed to Innegan because AJ beat the F out of him.

image >>

LMFAO Sports talk post of the year! image
    Wish I could take credit for it but that's a well known saying down here.

Thanks for the nomination anyway.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In a pass heavy league Calvin Johnson is at the head of the class. No contest. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......