Home Precious Metals
Options

Markup of ASE's vs bullion

With the price of sliver down from recent high's I've noticed the mark up over spot for ASE's, has increased.
Are ASE's still a good idea for investing, or should bullion closer to spot be the way to go.
Looking to buy around 100 oz at present.

Any thoughts ?

Bob
Past transactions with:
Lordmarcovan, WTCG, YogiBerraFan, Phoenin21, LindeDad, Coll3ctor, blue594, robkoll, Mike Dixon, BloodMan, Flakthat and others.

Comments

• Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Some other members will have good recommendations for volume buys.

For me, as a small buyer here and there, it's what I can buy it for.

The premium is not up on all deals for me. Private deals offer a great deal over bigger places like Apmex, etc.
    Therefore I don't buy from Apmex type places anymore, except for a specific good deal or treat.

It depends on whether you want volume, pristine, untouched, etc.
    COA
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    You will find your best deals at the local coin show early in the morning. Most citys have a wholesaler that comes around and buys all the brick and morter guys out from their over the counter inventory they took in since the previous show. Find out what he's paying and pay a little more.
    Thats how it works in Phoenix at least :-)
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what will be the easiest to sell when it comes time to sell? Buyers pay more premium for ASEs now because there are more buyers for them, no reason why they shouldn't return the premium when you go to sell. Stick with a popular, known winner.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    also add in with the ase's, Engelhard and Johnson Matthey Bars, they seem to always keep their premium value and some varities suprisingly much more.
    NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac
  • Options
    BobSavBobSav Posts: 913 ✭✭✭

<< <i>what will be the easiest to sell when it comes time to sell? Buyers pay more premium for ASEs now because there are more buyers for them, no reason why they shouldn't return the premium when you go to sell. Stick with a popular, known winner. >>

That's my problem though, last time I tried to sell ASE's the offer was a little over spot. Right now Apmex and such are selling ase's just under 34.00 which is spot plus over 10%.

How do you regain that on re-sell ?

Bob
    Past transactions with:
    Lordmarcovan, WTCG, YogiBerraFan, Phoenin21, LindeDad, Coll3ctor, blue594, robkoll, Mike Dixon, BloodMan, Flakthat and others.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    what will be the easiest to sell when it comes time to sell? Buyers pay more premium for ASEs now because there are more buyers for them, no reason why they shouldn't return the premium when you go to sell. Stick with a popular, known winner.

<<<That's my problem though, last time I tried to sell ASE's the offer was a little over spot. Right now Apmex and such are selling ase's just under 34.00 which is spot plus over 10%.

How do you regain that on re-sell ?>>>

This is just my feeling and by no means a standard to follow. My way of thinking is that the more hands it passes thru, the more the cost goes up, even if the market for the item has turned downward, because that last person owning it is now the "bagholder" and in most instances will not sell for a loss.
    The key for me is to not get greedy!. If the item(s) reach a certain profit level for me, I sell. I am attached to nothing, I sell, I can always re-buy the item, maybe for more, maybe for less than what I originally paid. Only you can determine what that profit margin is.
    As you can probably tell, I am not a buy & hold guy. I am a buy, to sell, to buy what I really want to put back, guy. Re-invest those profits in things you really want. If it's more metals to actually put back, or supplies for your shtf scenario, or whatever, it doesn't matter because you are little by little reaching your goal.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>what will be the easiest to sell when it comes time to sell? Buyers pay more premium for ASEs now because there are more buyers for them, no reason why they shouldn't return the premium when you go to sell. Stick with a popular, known winner. >>

That's my problem though, last time I tried to sell ASE's the offer was a little over spot. Right now Apmex and such are selling ase's just under 34.00 which is spot plus over 10%.

Bob >>

I wouldn't use their selling price as a reasonable estimate of what you can hope to get for yours. If benchmarking off of Apmex, their buy price of $30.45 for 2012's is probably more realistic. You can probably get a bit more on the BST. Just my thoughts though on how I determine what my possible ASE resale could be on a particular day.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Bob >>

By not selling to a re-seller such as a B&M. Sell retail to an individual.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761

<< <i>

<< <i>

Bob >>

By not selling to a re-seller such as a B&M. Sell retail to an individual. >>

This!

And, to answer to your original post, buying silver close to melt is only useful if you plan to re-sell it to a refinery, they don't care about demand.
    If you want to sell little bites of you silver (when and if the time comes) go with well recognized items.
    JMHO
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone who took the time to chime in. Some good points were made and all information is welcome.

Bob
    Past transactions with:
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a little late to the party, but in my opinion ASEs are never not a good idea.

last time I tried to sell ASE's the offer was a little over spot. Right now Apmex and such are selling ase's just under 34.00 which is spot plus over 10%.

<<By not selling to a re-seller such as a B&M. Sell retail to an individual.>>

I agree with derryb's comment, because there's really no way to know - but that B&M might have been as bad or worse on the resale of generic silver to that B&M. Whatever form of silver you decide to keep, it pays to shop around, both when buying and selling.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the latest spike in folks intrested in aquiring silver , seemed to be tuned into ealges more than ever.

I price generic at spot, and eagles at spot plus 2.00 bucks, and they prefer the eagles 10 to 1 currently.
  • Options

I price generic at spot, and eagles at spot plus 2.00 bucks, and they prefer the eagles 10 to 1 currently. >>

That's what I'm getting at, silver would have to go up to 36-37 spot just to get your money back on a present day purchase from Apmex or similar dealers.

Bob
    Past transactions with: