Home Sports Talk
Options

EPL - Robin van Persie to Man U.

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
Arsenal is screwed. I've been a Gunners fan since 1974 but it might be time to rethink things. I've always liked QPR.

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    I think Aresenal are going to be fine. Giroud and Podolski are very talented incoming players, and let's not forget that Van Persie's only played one full, injury-free year in the eight years he's been in the EPL.
  • Options
    The new Man U front line... Fatman and Robin.

• Options
    Everyone knew V. Persie was leaving, but why sell him to another top EPL team?

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Everyone knew V. Persie was leaving, but why sell him to another top EPL team? >>

They only had three choices- Man U, City or Juve. City couldn't make it work because they already have something like 100 million dollars worth of strikers on the books and couldn't offload Tevez, and Juve couldn't meet RVPs personal terms (which I think were in the 220,00 pound-per-week range). That left MU as the only team that really wanted him AND could afford him.

To be totally honest, I'm not sure he's all that big of an upgrade from Welbeck. He's definitely better, don't get me wrong, but $24 million pounds better? I don't know. If I was looking to splash around with that kind of money I'd have just bit the bullet and ponied up for Modric, though obviously Fergie knows his team better (and what it needs) than I do.

EDIT TO ADD: Really, I think it's been a good off-season for Arsenal; and I say this as someone who thinks Wenger is a total tool. RVP is out, and it looks like Song is out, but they've brought in Giroud, Podolski and Carzola, and if Wilshere gets healthy that should help mitigate the loss of Song. Problems may loom at right back if Sagna doesn't come back 100%, and there are the usual problems at left back with Gibbs, et. al, but past that I think they're solid. No reason why they can't finish in the top 4 again this year.
  • Options

<< <i>and I say this as someone who thinks Wenger is a total tool >>

I couldn't agree more with this. I personally would love to see him go.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don