Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Question on 1982 Topps Mike Schmidt PSA 10

Hi All:

I am currently working on a basic PSA set for Mike Schmidt and I am almost done. My objective is to get all pre-1980 cards in PSA 9 and all 1980 and later cards in PSA 10. One card I am having difficulty finding is his 1982 Topps #100. The pop report is only 21 for this card. Does anyone know why the pop is so low for this card? Lack of interest/tough set or combo of both?

I may just decide on a PSA 9 of this card for about $9.00. No idea what a 10 would fetch. I am sure I am not the only one looking for it, so the price for the first one that comes up will be high. Reminds me of his 1988 Leaf. When the first one popped up, it went for hundreds. Now, it is a little higher than a common graded Schmidt late era card.

Thanks

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris

Comments

• There are a lot of 82 topps cards out there, but it isn't easy to pull 10's when grading some of them. Schmidt #100 tends to have a thick top border so getting the centering right
    for a 10 grade can be difficult. Getting super sharp corners and a clean image can be a task also on many 82's. Ozzie, Reggie, Seaver etc....are all tough considering how many
    raw cards are out there. The Schmidt #100 psa 10 I sold over a yr ago went for $255.00. Maybe go with a 9 for now and pick your 10 up later when you can get a good deal.
    Good luck.
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    It's a tough card to find, that's for sure. And, as viking7 mentioned, it is centering that is often the critical issue.

This is always the tough decision process for player set collectors. Pony up when the first 10s are graded -- or wait and see if pops rise enough for a significant decline in price. There aren't too many true low pop rarities on the Schmidt basic set from the 1980s [1973 - 1976 topps are all very tough in 10], but on the master set, there are a large number of Pop 1s or 0s even all this time later. Makes for continued fun searching.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Thanks guys. I picked up the PSA 9. With my strategy, I should still end up with a set near a score of 9.5.

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
    I assume you saw this PSA 10 currently on Ebay?
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.

• << <i>I assume you saw this PSA 10 currently on Ebay? >>

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on it, but no way am I going to $255.00. Another example I remember is the 1980 Topps Mike Schmidt PSA 10. Remember when that pop was first listed? Yikes.

• Good move picking up the 9. Now you can patiently wait for the right deal if you decide to go for a 10. I think you can find one at a reasonable price in time.
  • Yikes!! $355? Unbelievable...congrats to the seller

• In time you should be able to get one for 150.00 or less. Two bidders were fighting it out for the one that just closed. Prices are all over the place. Good luck
  • You think $355 is a lot, a Gem Mint 10 1979 Mike Schmidt went for $515 last week.
    Makes me happy to see so much interest in cards of my favourite player!