Home Metal Detecting

August 12, 2012: Silver Coin #65 is... AND WINNER REVEALED

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
Got out on Friday in hopes of getting closer to the 65th silver coin. It was rainy and just unpleasant. Ended with a buffalo nickel and a pair of older “screw” earrings. Looks like someone connected them and lost ‘em both. Toward the end of the hunt I got a dime/quarter signal, but turned out to be under many roots near a tree. Ugh, tried digging but it was so rooty and I was soaked and it was getting dark I gave up on it. Wasn’t sure if it was going to be a nail anyway because sometimes the e-trac signals nails as coins. Figured if the signal was still solid next time I was there I’d try digging (yes, this has a point, haha).

Fast forward to today, got out to the same park. After 5 minutes silver 64 comes out – a 44-P War Nickel! It was slow going for a while after, and I finally ended up in the area where I had Friday’s signal. Swiped the coil and there was still a signal. Swiped from a different angle, still there. Hmmm… could it really be something? Start digging again and after a little time, the pinpointer was able to pick it up, but of course it was rooty. I shoved the shovel in a few times (no real other way), and after a couple more inches, it was out.
It was a small disc, and without thinking I wiped one side because apparently I like ruining things. I don’t know why I did that because… a beautiful 1885 Seated dime revealed itself. Did someone curse me to damage all seated coins I find? It’s not horrible, but there are some fine scratches now. Looks like a higher grade. I guess I should be glad it wasn't mangle by the shovel, which was highly probable.

So, silver coin 65 for 2012 is an 1885 Seated Dime!

Also picked up an 1899 IHC
8 wheats
An older flat button, and a random dog piece? Maybe a game piece?

LOOKS LIKE JOHNNY9434 IS THE WINNER. HE GUESSED 1913 DIME. 1885 DIME WAS 28 YEARS OFF

Comments

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats on getting that 1865 seated dime pcgs. i like the looks of that one for sure. best wishes, john
  • Nice dime! Congrats johnny!
    Its hard to refrain from wiping a coin Rob. Ive been there. image
    I now carry a few 35mm film bottles with some cotton balls stuffed in them.
    The way you go through silver you will need a dozen of them!
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always the bridesmaid, never the bride! (Just a saying folks).

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com