Home Autographs Forum

Three Stooges Signed 4" X 5"

PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am looking for any information that anyone can give me regarding the signing habits of Moe Howard. Right after Larry Fine passed away in 1975, I wrote Moe and asked for an autograph. He responded with a form letter and two small B&W glossy photos. One photo featured the Stooges sitting on a cannon....this photo was not signed. The second photo is signed in fountain pen and the signatures look extremely good to me. This photo is definitely signed and not a preprint. I am skeptical, of course, since I received this photo in the mid-70's. Is there any history on Moe's signing habits that would shed some light on this?

Comments

• Hi Pete,

Can you post exemplars? I only looked at a few I could find and I'd like to see more with regard to your photo. I am not sure how many hands are at work there! image

Best wishes,
    Eric
  • PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have only compared them to examples that I can find on dealer's websites. They look pretty good to my eye.
  • Hi Pete,

Are you saying this is genuinely signed by Moe who also signed for both deceased brothers? Larry was recently dead and Curly dead for nearly 25 years as you know - you are trying to establish if Moe signed for all three, yes? Thanks - trying to help. These appear to be the same hand to me - Moe's apparently from the checks I am looking at. I have never seen a Larry with two different r's and it is odd this is un-dedicated. I did find an example like this all signed by Moe and I have seen others:

MOE signs for all.

Additional sigs & Moe

What do you think? As for his habits, Moe seems to have signed a LOT of mail in the 70's, and took great care to respond to each letter, answering questions and all.

Best wishes,
    Eric

Thanks Eric! I have been searching for quite a while trying to find an item similar to my signed photo. You are the man!!
  • Hi Pete!

You are most welcome. My pleasure really.
    Now, I have a question for you! If you counted the number of truly trustworthy (as in "I agree, that is genuine"), knowledgeable (papers, inks, pens, etc. and etc.), honest and straight-shooting dealers (never saw them sell bad material) that you know - would you need more or less than 5 fingers?

Best wishes - and lovely Stooges photo!

Eric image

• Ok ok, lets leave out TPG's...

Eric

I don't know a number but I do know that a lot of dealers should limit themselves to their specialty. Sports guys don't know music, etc. There are so many forgers out there it is mind boggling.
  • I would need less than five fingers. Even the man who got me going with all this stuff 20 plus years ago by reaching me by answering some questions about his interview in a local paper...exposed as a forger with nasty friends.

FWIW, and that's probably not much, I have never had a single return for any reason.

Eric

Edited to add - despite offers, I have refused and will continue to refuse offers to work for auction houses as I will not write descriptions about bad material!!!!! I doubt I could recuse myself from doing so on select items without problems, especially of conscience.