Home Sports Talk
Options

Question about Bobby Petrino's firing from Arkansas after a 34-17 record

Bobby Petrino was a very successful football coach for Arkansas in the tough souteastern conference.

He had an affair with a woman at the school, and was fired because of the affair.

Fair or not fair ? Should the university expect him to live to a higher moral standard because he is in charge of young men ?

I'll tell ya one thing. If you're a college football coach, you better watch your back, check who your real friends are, because it looks like you're a sitting duck if you make a mistake. I don't think an NFL coach would get the same treatment, but I could be wrong.

Comments

• Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I don't believe Petrino was fired for the affair. I believe he was fired because he was fooling around with her and used his position to get his mistress a gig.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    If Bobby Petrino had DirectTV, he would have never ended up in a roadside ditch....
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't believe Petrino was fired for the affair. I believe he was fired because he was fooling around with her and used his position to get his mistress a gig. >>

This is what I heard as well. They wouldn't have cared if he was just fooling around on his wife... morality means very little to the powers that be-but cost them a buck, and hey, that's different.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't believe Petrino was fired for the affair. I believe he was fired because he was fooling around with her and used his position to get his mistress a gig. >>

"Legally" speaking, yes he got fired because he gave the girl a job and paid her with university money for something she wasn't qualified for. But....don't think the affair itself wasn't also part of the thinking. We're in the middle of the bible belt here and alums don't like to be embarrased by their coach. Even if he hadn't given the girl a job, the affair by itself would have been a HUGE HUGE deal.

I'll even take it a step further...if it came to light tomorrow that Nick Saban had had a 1-2 yr affair with a girl in her twenties in Tuscaloosa, there would thousands, not hundreds, calling on him to step down.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I'll even take it a step further...if it came to light tomorrow that Nick Saban had had a 1-2 yr affair with a girl in her twenties in Tuscaloosa, there would thousands, not hundreds, calling on him to step down.

If Nick Saban keeps winning National Championships, it could come to light that he had an affair with a guy in his twenties and he'd still have a job.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.